• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Poop spreading is done! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: Only problem today was a piece of wood (from sawdust bedding) locked the manure impeller on the tank wagon & sheared a driveshaft bolt.
Dad's been working on the MF2745 that sprung a hydraulic leak under the fuel tank, but it was almost under the cab, and the leak was on the underside of the line, so having the tank off was not the culprit, as the tank had not pressed against it, nor were there any marks indicating us hitting the line. Just a fluke that it sprung the leak just after reinstalling the fuel tank. Problem is, the line heads up under the cab, so it may be major getting to the other end.

#317 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Milked this morning, then put sawdust bedding in 96 stalls. Checked on the water-gaps to be sure they weren't washed out before I turn the cows out to pasture, so Josh can scrape the lots. After lunch, helping put fuel tank back into the MF 2745, then repair water heater outlet that's leaking, then replace the PVC water line exiting the water booster pump in the parlor that is leaking. Then I have to get all my records for the cows caught up, and print out tomorrow's list for the vet check scheduled for 9:30 in the morning. Neighbor came by & needs me to grind him a load of pig feed for him if I can get to it tomorrow afternoon.....we'll see. Yep, it's a Monday! :rolleyes:

#318 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 10:43 AM

...Yep, it's a Monday! :rolleyes:

I had to work my first midnight shift in quite some time and JUST woke up (I'm sort of awake anyhow)...Labor day...a day for Labor! I'll bet that there aren't many holidays that don't involve work for a farmer.
  • Cvans said thank you

#319 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Labor day is just another day when your retired. Used to have a special meaning when I was working but now it just means staying away from public places to avoid the crowds. I'm guessing there are no crowds on Daniels farm today. That's a good thing with all the work that needs doing.
You'all have a nice labor day.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#320 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Labor day is just another day when your retired. Used to have a special meaning when I was working but now it just means staying away from public places to avoid the crowds. I'm guessing there are no crowds on Daniels farm today. That's a good thing with all the work that needs doing.

You have that right! I even try to buy groceries at odd hours to avoid the crowds.

#321 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Got everything finished! :dancingbanana: Now to feed silage & my work day is done! Then I can play with my Grandson Case. Man is he growing like a weed.

DSC06171.JPG

#322 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ya Daniel they grow quicker than the blink of an eye. Can't remember but do yu have a GT with his name on it!!!!!!! :smilewink:

#323 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Wow! I thought that was just me. I'm getting to the point I just like walking about 100 ft to my shop and working around the place in stead of going places.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#324 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Man is he growing like a weed.

DSC06171.JPG

Yep, they tend to do that, sometimes faster!

#325 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ya Daniel they grow quicker than the blink of an eye. Can't remember but do yu have a GT with his name on it!!!!!!! :smilewink:

Planning on building him one when he gets big enough to help with it....won't be long either!

#326 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:04 PM

.won't be long either!

You better hide the car keys because he'll be wanting them before you know it. I have grand-kids that graduated this spring. Where did the time go?

#327 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Milked this AM, then ground a load of hog feed for a neighbor, unloaded it to his wagon, then parked the good manure wagon & the poo pump. Vet arrived & we got the herd check done. Got the new herd info entered into the computer, now taking a break. Gotta start feeding chores soon. Not a bad day, just extra busy this morning.

#328 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Glad it's been a decent (non-eventful) day! You need a few of those!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#329 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I am curious, what do you do with your cow poo? I ask because I know of farms that use their cow poo in methane digesters. They use the methane to power their equipment and to produce electricity for themselves and their neighbors.

#330 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 11:26 PM

I don't mean to change the course of the thread but I do find poo to be interesting, especially if we can use it for energy. I found the link to the video below interesting.

Posted Image Dairy Farm: Methane Digester

"Energy Conservation on the Farm at the Huls Dairy" provides information about the operation of Montana's first methane digester for a dairy operation. The project was a huge success and is currently producing enough power to run the entire dairy operation and one home. The digesters are located at the Huls Dairy Farm in Corvallis, Montana. The video shows the digesters at work using the methane gasses to produce energy. The video also explains other benefits from the installation of the digesters including commercial composting, fuel, fertilizer, and irrigation savings.

The anaerobic methane digester offsets the electrical costs of the dairy operation and reduces greenhouse gas emissions at the farm. Manure from the free-stall barn is collected using alley scrapers and deposited in the methane digester. The manure is broken down through a biological process which produces methane gas. The methane gas is then used to power an engine and generator to produce el... more