• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well, my day just now ended, and what a disaster of a day.  I get started milking on time, but I always go out & check the compressors during milking.  One of the 2 is shut down.  Low on gas it turns out.  Then I found the problem.  The hi-lo limit switch capillary tubes had gotten together & rubbed till both were worn through the center.  Luckily my supplier is open till noon tomorrow, so I can get the new one put on & gassed up before evening milking.  

I KNOW these coiled tubes were separated nicely before, so someone either bumped them, or they sagged down.  This time I'll put styrofoam layers between each loop, then secure with zip ties and secure it all to prevent movement.

Turned out to be a 15 hour day with almost no rest time, and filled with problems.   My day off is Sunday & I need it!

• Craig. said thank you

#3197 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Daniel I am glad to hear you weren't hurt today snapping that front axle off. Are you just replacing the outboard extendable part of the front axle or the complete axle assembly?

• Gabriel said thank you

#3198 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wow, sounds like you had a wild tractor day. Glad you didn't get hurt the second go round.

I think that hole we found popped up as we were all  plowing so you may not have seen it. I think the last guy went over it and it caved in, then NashCub found it right before he hit it. 

If any of ya fall into a big sinkhole next plow day, I know Chevrolet knows how to get ya out!  :smilewink:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and TAHOE have said thanks

#3199 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Daniel I am glad to hear you weren't hurt today snapping that front axle off. Are you just replacing the outboard extendable part of the front axle or the complete axle assembly?

Just the extendable leg that the spindles goes into.  The spindle appears fine.  I will weld the tie rod back together.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#3200 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Well......it started out a good day..............

attachicon.gifDSC00156.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00154.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00155.JPG

After milking and clipping the small calf field, I took over Dad discbining the pasture fields in prep for rolling the hay.  I discovered a large sinkhole which couldn't be seen for the thick grass.  Was an abrupt & bumpy stop I'm tellin ya!  Got the other 2745 unhooked from the hay roller and fixing to head back to finish the job.  This 2745 limped home on the one front wheel, barely with the bumper clearing the ground.  Already found a used axle arm & it will be here by Tuesday.  I'll weld up the tie rod tomorrow so it will be ready to switch out the axle arm.

Dad broke the left arm off the 2705 way back about 25 to 30 years ago, so at least I'm not the 1st here to do this. 

Hoping the rest of the day goes better than this!

Shoulda called TR-911!

#3201 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:24 AM

After milking it was a quick dash of 50 mile round trip to get the cooler parts & R22 gas.  Just finished the repairs & compressor is back in action!  :thumbs:   I told Dad I would finish the hillside mowing after lunch when I knew all the dew would be gone.  He did it while I was gone for the parts, and he slid the tractor to the bottom too!   I think I will have to remove keys when there's a chance he'll do something like this.  I know I did the same thing, but if I get banged around I'll likely recover, where Dad might not.  I got after him about it, but in a caring way.   Just can't wait till tomorrow for a day off from the madness.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3202 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Oh, yesterday's $ in damages was around $315 for the tractor axle knee, and today for the cooler parts cost $402.  But $250 was the cylinder of R22 gas, of which I have 2/3 of it left.

• Craig. said thank you

#3203 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm so glad you and grandpa are ok. Scared the crap out of me as I read that.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3204 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yesterday was an almost solid 15 hours, and today a solid 13 1/2hrs.  I am whipped.  My cousin with the 175 Massey surprised me today.  He brought it and a Massey 283 for me to try.  The 175 is mine though.  He wants NO money for it, but would like me to get a few GT's running/operating for him some day.  Hey, I'm game!  The 283 is the best for pushing manure, as it's a bit heavier and has awesome power steering.  BUT, this 283 has a ton of hours on it, so he just wants me to see if it works well for us.  He has another 283 that only has maybe 1500 hours on it.  I've seen it, and it looks like it's got much more time on the clock, but then he was in the mowing business and cosmetics weren't a major concern.  He brought this one as it was at his place & easier to deal with.

Here's my new to me Massey 175, which I'll likely refurb way down the road.

DSC00158.JPG

And here's the test MF283.  Which ever 283 we want, just $3500.  I'd say we'll end up getting the low hour 283.

DSC00157.JPG

Now off to shower, then hit my recliner.  I will likely do very little tomorrow except rest.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#3205 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Larry is my 1st cousin, and a great guy.  The more I get to know him, the cooler he seems.  Back when he was dairying, I hardly ever seen him, but he comes around a lot more since he's retired.  I think he wanted me to have the 175 so I'd end up refurbing it.  As a poo tractor, it would never look nice again.  And he's right that a 283 will make a better poo pusher...no doubt.  I would be much more excited if I weren't so worn down.  Maybe tomorrow I can enjoy it more.  She runs & drives right now as she is!  

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#3206 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:19 PM

About time good news came ur way! Enjoy tomorrow!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3207 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Took off to Dairy Queen for breakfast.  Came home & been tinkering on the Massey 175.  Wiring is in a bad state, and I can't get the alternator to charge, but I'm not getting into all that right now.  All but one headlight bulbs are good though, but again, wiring & grounding issues, so I just used a test wire to each bulb.  Got the steering working a bit better, and it's not that bad.  Cheap to get the steering tightened up & working better.

Also been working in the garden some.  Tilled till I ran out of gas, then laid off rows for a second round of sweet corn.  Need to plant those rows, then spray for weeds.  Then fill tiller with fuel & finish tilling.  The gardening isn't my idea of resting, but it needs done.

• GTTinkerer, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3208 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Ur Dairy Queen serves breakfast? Never heard of such a thing lol
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#3209 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:49 PM

Ur Dairy Queen serves breakfast? Never heard of such a thing lol

Oh yeah, I'd say any Dairy Queen "Brazier" would serve breakfast.!  We got the "Ultimate Hash Brown Breakfast", choice of Ham, sausage, or bacon.  A hash brown broken up, scrambled eggs laid on top, then a layer of cheese, and a splattering of small onion pieces......Ummm Good!  We shared a side of pancakes as well!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3210 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Got the corn planted, sprayed, and finished the tilling.  Then I broke my "day off rules" and got sidetracked getting the steering arm off the Massey 2745 spindle that I broke the axle knee off of Saturday.  Took ALL the energy I had left to get it off, but it's off!

I had a lot of things planned to do tomorrow, but it looks to be the driest day to see if I can roll the grass hay.  Soon as any dew dries in the morning, it's raking time, then roll.  I don't think the hill we slid on will be dry enough though, as the hay on top was thick as could be and has some clover in it.  It may need the tedder ran over it.  Not likely I can get it all done, but I'll do my best.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks