• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Here are some pics of the burned shed & where we will add a shop onto the large machinery shed.

Still hot under those ash piles.

DSC00147.JPG DSC00148.JPG

Here's where we will be adding on 30' to the existing shed.  The end 12' of the existing building will become part of the new shop, making it 42' long by 40 feet deep.

DSC00145.JPG DSC00146.JPG DSC00149.JPG

And a pic of the chipper/shredder.  No time today to tinker with it I'm afraid.  Maybe this evening if it doesn't get too stormy out.  I doubt this has been used much at all.  Other than being dirty, it's in great shape.

DSC00150.JPG DSC00151.JPG DSC00152.JPG

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3182 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for pics.

poor 1 lonely corner post left standing :D

I have a Craftsman chipper/shredder in barn, dad bought it back in early 90's. I may get it out and use once every 2-3 yrs if that.

Yours looks hardly used.  

#3183 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Marty, the only reason I left that post is the AC comes in from the ground and up that post.  I need to redo that & keep the AC there to plug the loader's block heater into for winter.  May just build a small building there just to squeeze the loader into.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3184 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Stressful morning.  Needed to spray the milking herd for flies.  Had issues with the sprayer, but got it done.  Mastitis has flared again in the herd, so spent an extra hour milking checking the culprits, treating just one at this point, and drying one off.  One just needs to go to market.  I also have a sick cow with uterine infection I must treat in a few minutes.  Her legs are barely holding her up right now.  Hope I can save her.  May take the load of burned roofing to the scrapper today if I get time, then go pick up a load of lumber for the new shop while I have the empty trailer near the lumber yard.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#3185 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 09:00 AM

The milking herd is getting kinda thin, isn't it? How much longer till some new cows/heifers start milking?

#3186 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Dried 3 off yesterday, and one today.  Down to 57 in the milking string, and 3 of them I have to dump due to treatments.  Yes, mighty thin...uncomfortably thin I might add.  But at least production per cow is at the highest we've had for years.  We do have some heifers getting close to calving, so I hope they're good ones.  One is about to pop that calf out.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#3187 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Got some electric fence repaired temporarily around the burned barn.  Truck is hooked to load of burned metal, so fixing to shed that, then load up on wood for the garage.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, our cows are averaging 60 pounds of milk per cow per day, which is right at 7 gallons each.  By many dairies, that's not a high production, but for what we invest, 60lbs is very good.  Just need more cows.  Another dozen would be a good number. 

• GTTinkerer, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3188 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Want me to grab you a couple of longhorns and email them to you. I am sure the guy will never notice. We still haven't figured out what he does with them other than let them graze. He has to sell some because there is always about the same amount in the field. They are neat to watch though. I want a set of horns.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3189 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Well......it started out a good day..............

DSC00156.JPG DSC00154.JPG DSC00155.JPG

After milking and clipping the small calf field, I took over Dad discbining the pasture fields in prep for rolling the hay.  I discovered a large sinkhole which couldn't be seen for the thick grass.  Was an abrupt & bumpy stop I'm tellin ya!  Got the other 2745 unhooked from the hay roller and fixing to head back to finish the job.  This 2745 limped home on the one front wheel, barely with the bumper clearing the ground.  Already found a used axle arm & it will be here by Tuesday.  I'll weld up the tie rod tomorrow so it will be ready to switch out the axle arm.

Dad broke the left arm off the 2705 way back about 25 to 30 years ago, so at least I'm not the 1st here to do this. 

Hoping the rest of the day goes better than this!

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#3190 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Wow Daniel, that looks like it was an unbrupt stop, hope you didn't kiss the windshield.

While we were at plow day last fall, NASHCUB found a small hole that popped up while we were all plowing. We shoved a few big chunks of dirt in it some no one else would sink in it. Somebody's GT would've had same fate had he not seen it.

Waht would cause those? Old collapsed drain tiles or something?

• Gabriel said thank you

#3191 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yikes. Looks like that could have been a lot worse.

Tahoe Sinkhole are a Kentucky favorite past time for mother earth. Just ask the Corvette museum.

• GTTinkerer and Craig. have said thanks

#3192 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yikes. Looks like that could have been a lot worse.

Tahoe Sinkhole are a Kentucky favorite past time for mother earth. Just ask the Corvette museum.

Yea, and Daniel is just up the road a bit from that soooo  :poke:  :thumbs:

#3193 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 03:29 PM

While we were at plow day last fall, NASHCUB found a small hole that popped up while we were all plowing.  

Waht would cause those? Old collapsed drain tiles or something?

Yep, collapsed drain tiles is correct.  I thought I had found & filled all those, so glad you found them without injury or damage.  I'll scan the fields better this year. I didn't get all the hay mowed down.  Almost, but it's time to get ready to milk, so had to quit.  I DO NOT like using the MF2745 on the last hill, just below our chicken barn.  Just a half hour ago, I lost traction & she slid about 200 feet down the steepest section.  Full jack-knife too, and it was booking pretty fast....or at least sure felt like it!.  When I stopped, the front of the haybine was beside the tractor. During the slide I got the PTO out of gear so nothing in the drive-train would get hurt.  All was well & I mowed a while longer.  BUT, the way & direction I mowed on this steep section had to be adjusted.  Will take longer, but I will have to pick up, go back down a lesser incline, then drop in & come back up & around instead of directly up or down.  Time to milk, so gotta get.  I am worn out & still a good 2 hours to go.  Gonna be a 13hr+ day.

• Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#3194 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Looks as if it was a clean break and didn't take out those filters or damage any sheet metal. I'd look the mounting points over real good to ensure no damage to the steering or other parts. I bet you will feel it in the morning.

• Gabriel said thank you

#3195 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Wow, sounds like you had a wild tractor day. Glad you didn't get hurt the second go round.

I think that hole we found popped up as we were all  plowing so you may not have seen it. I think the last guy went over it and it caved in, then NashCub found it right before he hit it. 

• Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks