• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Same here as to predicted corn yields. Some people's fields aren't worth the diesel to combine them. Select few have a good crop, but by & large, a dismal year at best. I think the puny 38 acres we have left will make somewhere around 75bu. Dad thinks 100, but he's always too optimistic with yields. The day I rode my Virago go get new chopper belts, I saw a guy combining a field of corn! The corn was obviously still green, so I figure he must have been harvesting for high moisture grain to ensile.

#302 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 01:04 PM

Some of the boys were saying th ey tested 25- 35% on the corn the other day. A while back we had storms come thru with high winds that laid alot of corn down. Now some are putting reels on to lay low and slow to getter out. The storms left enough rain to settle the dust is all. :(
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#303 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 03:23 PM

Started emptying the manure pit today. Didn't get too much done being we had other chores to tend to also, but got maybe 25 or so loads out. On my last load, I noticed an oil stream coming down the left side of the trans area, just ahead of the differential. We must ahve disturbed or damaged an oil line last week when repairing a fuel related problem. The fuel tank is behind & under the rear of the cab, and there was some gunk blocking the fuel lines, so we had to pull the entire fuel tank & it's cradle. Dang thing had over 80 gallons of diesel in it, and we had to drain it all. Now it's nearly full again, and must be drained a 2nd time in 4 days! I can't see what is leaking, but it's definitely coming from up there, and being we had that tank out, it's almost for sure we did something wrong. I think I'll just unhook it from the manure tank tonight, and put the trusty old MF1100 on the spreader tank. I just won't be able to do any slopes with it, as the tank is too heavy for anything but level to slight slopes. We can use the other MF2745 for the tougher areas. Now if it rains, then we can get this one fixed & back in business.

#304 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Got the cows fed, so then got the fuel out of the tractor's fuel tank. Had almost 80 gallons in it, so I unscrewed the fill pump from our 1,000 gallon fuel tank, then taped a hydraulic hose to the pickup tube, then just pumped the fuel straight from the tank, back into the large tank's pump attachment hole. Saved a LOT of trouble. Now if it rains, we can get right to the repair.

#305 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Now if it rains, we can get right to the repair.

Then let's hope for rain.I do know it's supposed to rain here tomorrow.

#306 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Sure sounds a lot better than a siphon drain out into buckets.

Good luck on the repair Daniel

#307 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Daniel, will you be rigging up a temporary fuel tank- aka- 5gal. bucket- to excersise the trans and hyd to see that bad boy leak? I'v done this yrs. ago when i worked on heavy equipment to find those bad buggers.

#308 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Daniel, will you be rigging up a temporary fuel tank- aka- 5gal. bucket- to excersise the trans and hyd to see that bad boy leak? I'v done this yrs. ago when i worked on heavy equipment to find those bad buggers.

Yep, even if the offending line is obvious, everything gets a good inspection, so it will have a small tank rigged up.

#309 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 02:54 PM

Been hauling the manure & would have finished today, but it's been a bad luck afternoon. Josh was bringing a full load of poo to the back side of the field, and the tongue frame collapsed. I rigged up an I-beam cradle, chained under the broken tongue, then used the payloader to raise it high enough so not to drag the blacktop. Once we got it home for a better look, we found this had been worked on before. This time I'll take the whole tongue frame out & line the inside with another channel iron, and plate it on the outside also. While I was driving the payloader backwards with bum poo wagon in tow, dad was still hauling with the good poo wagon. To get by me he had to go off the blacktop into a smooth shallow ditchline (no ditch at all really), but with the shifted load, one of the old dry rotted tires blew out. We changed the wheel/tire assembly out with a new one, but I told Dad we were done for the day. Too much went wrong, and several small jobs need done. We'll start poo hauling with the one wagon in the morning & finish emptying the pit by noon likely.

DSC00440.JPG DSC00442.JPG DSC00441.JPG

The former breaks that we never noticed are behind these plates.
DSC00443.JPG

Gotta go check the electric fence now, then feed silage. Had a cow come down with ketosis (blood sugar disorder), and had my vet come at noon, so been a very busy day. That cow was timid this morning, but when we got it in the small hospital pen, she came at us like a raging bull! Turns out Kevin (my vet) said that is one of the later traits of ketosis....they go crazy! Never had a ketosis in all my years. It may be from heat stressed silage, so we may have more nitrates in the corn than we thought.

#310 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Dang Daniel, I hope all you got there is a isolated case. You don't need a outbreak in your herd. I blame it on the weather too. Nothing has been according to hoyle since last winter. Good l :thumbs: uck to ya there Daniel.

#311 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Sounds like a busy day. I feel like a complete slacker for being here in the house all day sick.

#312 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like a busy day. I feel like a complete slacker for being here in the house all day sick.

I'd rather have my day & not be sick! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

#313 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks. I would rather work a full day than be sick. I feel like a useless lump that produces massive amounts of phlegm. I am going to work tomorrow if it kills me

#314 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like a Monday to me...oh wait, it's Wednesday :confuse: Sorry about the run of bad luck Dan! That break in the tongue reminds me of what happened to my FIL once while he was pulling his boat! Except his came completely apart at 55! Luckily the boat and what was left of the trailer coasted off of the road without any damage to the boat. I repaired the tongue and it was still going strong when he sold the boat 5 years later. As for the crazy cow, Is there anything you can do about the high nitrates (if that's the case) in the silage?

#315 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

As for the crazy cow, Is there anything you can do about the high nitrates (if that's the case) in the silage?

Yes, there are additives we can put in the feed, but like all problem solvers, it costs a lot of money. We'll be several days even getting test results back. Hoping no more cows come down with symptoms. More fiber in the ration helps, so I put out free choice rolled alfalfa hay for them this afternoon.