• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like a good plan you have there, Daniel! Sleep and $$$$ does wonders at times!

• olcowhand said thank you

#3122 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:27 PM

My cousin Larry came by today.  He said the Massey 175 is rough, but he'd sell her cheap.  He never said a price, as he wants us to come look at it first.  Our 175 had independent PTO, where his is 2 stage live, and the clutch needs adjusted to get pto engaged.  That matters none as a manure scraper.  His steering components are worn out, as ours was, and his smokes horribly, but burns no oil.  I think his injector pump is out of whack.  I believe our pump is still good, as there were little flames on that side of the engine, so we could likely use ours.  He also has three Massey 283's he said he'd sell one cheaper than we could buy anywhere else.  So who knows what we may buy, but I'm betting we buy at least one from him.  He's retired from interstate mowing.  His son-in-law still mows, but Larry switched to John Deere years ago due to so few Massey dealers for parts.  Almost anywhere he mowed, he was within just a few miles of a John Deere dealer.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3123 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Daniel, I was looking at the burnt tractor pictures and I don't think there engine got that hot. I know you said it melted the intake, but it also had a stream of diesel spraying on it. I would try to see if you can get it to turn over, it may just be sheet metal work burnt up. Some of the Hydraulic hoses are still on the loader. Maybe hot wire it just to see if it will turn over, is there coolant in the engine still?

#3124 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Oh man, the sleep did wonders Brian!  I'm mowing the barnyard/pit areas today.  OH....I forgot to mention....my cousin called dad last night.  His Dad, Uncle Willard passed on a few years ago.  He still has his Massey 175 and it hasn't even been started for 3 to 4 years & he's stopping by to talk a deal.  We may have a replacement tractor soon!  I know Larry won't ask a high price for it.  Heck, he even gave me a $100 bill to help out with plow Day last year!  He's alright!  Hoping all works out with this 175.  It's a "Family Tractor" too!

He's the uncle that rode up on his bike to see what we were doing?

#3125 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Daniel, I was looking at the burnt tractor pictures and I don't think there engine got that hot. I know you said it melted the intake, but it also had a stream of diesel spraying on it. I would try to see if you can get it to turn over, it may just be sheet metal work burnt up. Some of the Hydraulic hoses are still on the loader. Maybe hot wire it just to see if it will turn over, is there coolant in the engine still?

I figure if the starter solenoid isn't shot (as the solenoid end cap is cracked all up), I could jump it & start it off a burst of ether.  I may just try that tomorrow just to see.  No water left in it, as ALL rubber components off the front are gone. It got dog gone hot on the right side, but like you said, mostly from the diesel torch coming from the fuel tank lines.  The hoses on the back end at the remotes are still fine, but their front ends are gone. IF we buy the 175, we may end up using it, or possibly using our trans & diff, as ours is a later version and we added the "wet brake conversion" to ours.  Makes brakes much smoother.  If his engine has little blowby, then his engine is better than ours, other than the injection pump.  I think our pump will be ok, but I need to get diesel back in there before it rusts up, which may be too late already.

He's the uncle that rode up on his bike to see what we were doing?

No, that's Uncle Russell, and he's alive & well, and LOVES riding still.  Uncle Willard was my Dad's sister's husband.  He was a great guy! 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3126 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Dang, dang, and double dang.

I just got back home from my trip to Mississippi.  I haven't been keeping up with your thread, and now I see this :boo_hoo:

I see that things are starting to 'work out', but still. that had to be a hard loss to take.  I guess we can be thankful the it wasn't worse.

Looks like the old 175 will still be there in spirit if you are going to use parts of it for the 'new' one.

We will keep you in our prayers and ask for some better luck for awhile, as you danged sure need it.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#3127 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:31 PM

I wondered where you were Dave.  When we walked around the dairy, we were just above this building, manure pit to our left.   Yes it was a blow, but we'll get past it.  I had no desire to build another building at all, but to afford a better shop, I'll just have to buck up & do it.  In the end, it will likely be a blessing in disguise.  Had I not went behind Dad & added the insurance a few years ago, it would have been devastating!  Thanks for your prayers & wishes.

Oh, and I may take one of the burnt hood sides & nose, slice it to just a side without the top, blast & repaint, put decals & the big emblem on it, then hang it on the shop wall. That is if I ever get time.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3128 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Oh, and I may take one of the burnt hood sides & nose, slice it to just a side without the top, blast & repaint, put decals & the big emblem on it, then hang it on the shop wall. That is if I ever get time.

Daniel That would be very cool and I bet your Dad would almost tear up just a little bit over that. :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#3129 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Going in a few minutes to look at Larry's tractors.

#3130 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Well, How did they look? Is one coming to the farm?

#3131 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Larry couldn't be there, so I'll talk $'s with him another day.  I'm sure the 175 will be coming here asap.  Likely trailer it, as one rear is flat & no idea if it would air & hold.  It's gonna need some cash thrown at it, but I'd rather buy this if he's low enough, then fix it.  That way I know what I've got.  She's on the rough side, but then this will be used as a poo tractor, so it would be hard putting a nice tractor in that crud.

If the injector can't be adjusted to stop the crazy smoke, there's 6 to $700.  Rear tires $500 each. Steering components about $400+.  Not cheap, but one "so called" ready to go will be 4 grand, and they always come with surprises that show up right after getting home.  Anyway, here she is.

DSC07024.JPG DSC07025.JPG

All depending on what he wants, this 283 might come home with us as well, but that's a BIG maybe.

DSC07026.JPG DSC07027.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3132 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Nothing will take place tomorrow farm-wise, as I take Dad early am for a colonoscopy, and likely removal of the rest of that bleeding polyp.  They got 90% of it.  I'm sure hoping they find it as not needing any attention & can leave it as-is.

#3133 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Glad to hear things are improving. A dedicated shop area would be great to have.

The 2 tractors don't look bad at all. Sounds like they need some work. Restoring or fixing farm sized tractors would be an expensive endeavor. Glad I don't have a need to a tractor that big!
  • Craig. said thank you

#3134 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:45 AM

.  Our 175 had independent PTO, where his is 2 stage live, and the clutch needs adjusted to get pto engaged.  

Since you mentioned it...what is the difference between the PTO's?

I see  "live PTO" "2 stage"  "independant".... I am clueless on the differences

We know you can get them fixed up! 

#3135 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hopefully you can salvage some of the parts off your 175 so the expense of fixing up the new to you one won't be quite as expensive.

Hope everything goes well with your Dad today.