• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Well, major woes with the drain.  Can't get a snake to even make the tight turns. The old metal trap "literally" fell to pieces in my hand when I went to pull it off.  I am sure the heavy metal pipe under the house is crammed shut again.  Time to tear it all out & replace with PVC.  I can't do it today though, but I'm gonna try & get under the house after lunch & see how much & what I will need.  Tomorrow will be a trip to Lowes.  Oh what fun this is gonna be.  Got the spray guy introduced to the fields at Josh's, then took an hour to string half  a fence back up to block half the dry cow field, as we're having it sprayed & planting corn there as well.  Not many dry cows, so they won't need this 6 acres.  Been a wild rushed morning.  I'll be milking tonight as well so Josh can watch his step daughter's school play.  I know I'm gonna be worn out tonight.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3017 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Sounds like a rough day for sure Daniel. Too bad about the drain, now is not the time to have added issues with planting going on.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#3018 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Back from the drain inspection.  When I took all these pipe out 35yrs ago, I had to cut one pipe, then used a compression fitting to couple it back.  I got the fitting slid back, then found the steel 2" pipe is 99.9% clogged with buildup.  As far as trying to snake it, there is NO WAY a snake can make the turns at the sink, as there are 4, yes four 90* elbows just to make it to the main drain pipe!  

So ALL the drain pipe will be taken out & tossed.  All PVC going back in.  I will retain the copper 1 1/2" down pipes from the bathroom sinks as long as they look ok once I cut them loose from the main drain.  Then I'll compression them coming off the new PVC T's.  Not going into the wall in the kitchen as it is now.  I'll cap off the one in the sink wall, then come straight up from the floor under the sink.  I'll T over from this new drain piping under the floor to the original sink drain so as to be connected to the roof vent.

The worst part is working in cramped quarters, being made worse by putting in the heat pump system which required the air handling piping under the floor.  I helped Dad put that in about 18 years ago, and boy has my body changed to working in areas like this.  Josh will be helping me, and Dad will be able to hand us stuff through the access door under the house.

Going to pick all the stuff up in the morning, then under the house if the weather isn't too bad.  Chances of stormy stuff tomorrow.

I dread this like the plague, but it has to be done.  We called our plumber friend, but he's backed up for miles, so it's my baby.

At least once done, it should be good for at least another 35 years, so that leaves me off the hook, as I'll either be 90yrs old, or long since pushing up daisies.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3019 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 04:37 PM

I hate drain issues! I know what you are going through, but the pvc will help a bunch!

• olcowhand said thank you

#3020 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:58 PM

The aggravating part is we were going to wait a week before planting more corn, and we were going to have some slack time to get other much needed small jobs caught up.  Now no time for as few days at all.    I have a stupid cow, #266 that slips down in the holding pen maybe once a week, and she just can't get up.  It's like she's too stupid to know how.  Usually if you leave her alone, she gets up on her own just fine.  She spazzes out when you approach her.  If she's not up in the morning, I'll drag her butt to the dry field where she'll stay till I have time to haul her to market.  She'll be fine on dirt.  I really do hate to sell more, as I'm only milking 56 cows right now, where I'm usually mid 70's to low 80's.  I need my bred heifers to start dropping calves BAD!

Dad's septic tank is shot too, and our septic system guy was supposed to put a new one in a couple months ago & never has made it here yet.  These old houses are a never ending source of repair jobs.  My house is almost 90 years old, Dad's is 50yrs old, and the front section of Josh's house is almost 100 years old!  Josh's house has termite damage that has his kitchen & living room floor sagging.  So this summer all this floor has to be pulled up to refurb the floor joists.  We're bleeding money right now.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3021 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:52 PM

hope your heifers start calving soon, also hope you do not much trouble getting them parlor broke after they calf.  bet your wishing you were milking a few more too.  Up here milk is a good property right now. 

#3022 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Took most of the morning fetching all the stuff needed to replace all Dad's plumbing drains.  Rarely do Teresa & I get a chance to eat breakfast away from home, so once I finished milking this morning, we high-tailed it to Huddle House for a whopping breakfast.  Such a good & large spread that I skipped lunch.  We got all the old steel 2" drain pipes tore out in just a couple hours and decided we'd wait till tomorrow to start putting in the PVC.  Been raining nearly all day long, and heavy at times. Bought one of those ratcheting PVC cutters to make the job easier & faster.  I "think" we can finish the job tomorrow, but time will tell I guess.  I feel more up to the job than I did yesterday, and being we got all the corn planted we wanted to at this time, and all the ground sprayed, taking that stress off my mind helps a lot too.  I got several things at Lowes for other repairs while I was there, so I have plenty to do, and with the ground wet & getting ever wetter, I'll have plenty of time to get some needed repairs completed.  We weren't really expecting all the rain we've already gotten, and gonna get a lot more yet.

Oh, and cow #266 got up on her own & doing fine today.  Yesterday I was kind of overwhelmed with everything, and I'm sure glad to be feeling better about things today.  

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3023 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Sounds like you and Teresa had quite a good day after all. I know working under an old house is no picnic, but it sounds like it went better then expected. Good Deal !! :thumbs:

Maybe tomorrow will go just as well and you can knock out the plumbing job in one day..

#3024 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Sounds like you and Teresa had quite a good day after all. I know working under an old house is no picnic, but it sounds like it went better then expected. Good Deal !! :thumbs:

Maybe tomorrow will go just as well and you can knock out the plumbing job in one day..

Yes, much better than expected, much in part due to my neck not hurting me so much as it did yesterday, and the nice breakfast sure didn't hurt either!  If I don't get the job finished tomorrow, it'll be darn close.  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#3025 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:52 PM

This chicken burrito makes me feel even better this evening! 

DSC00143.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3026 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:55 PM

attachicon.gifDSC00143.JPG

Did you follow my recipe?

#3027 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Did you follow my recipe?

Guess I missed your recipe, but Teresa fixed this up, not me.  Chicken was cooked in crock pot in taco seasoning & mild salsa.  Then simply tomato chunks, taco/cheddar cheese, & refried beans.

• Craig. and JDBrian have said thanks

#3028 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM

attachicon.gifDSC00143.JPG

looks like good eatin. what time is supper?

#3029 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:27 AM

Glad to hear  the cow got up.

I was wondering if you had any moisture under the house with all this rain.....especially if you are getting all we are, we are swamped up here right now.

I noticed the main cast iron drain going to teh septic tank is looking wet in one spot, I sure hope it's not rusting out. That think is the main Y and clean out for the entire house and it's concreted in the wall. I hope I can find something to repair it to give me some time, thant's not one I can fix.

#3030 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Marty, yes, last night made for a working mess under Dad's house.  Just got back from working all morning following milking.  I've made some headway, but not looking like I'll finish today.  Cold, wet, and muddy, and I am stiff as a board.  The moisture barrier plastic under there is holding puddles of water.  Miserable working conditions to say the least.  Home for lunch, and it's gonna be hard to make myself go back out there.

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks