• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Daniel it must feel good to take a break and go for a ride on that bike even if it is to run an errand!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#287 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Daniel it must feel good to take a break and go for a ride on that bike even if it is to run an errand!

Sure is! Dad asked if I wanted to go pick the belts up, and I quickly said I'd take the bike to fetch them! 45mpg instead of the Jeep's 20mpg, and my truck's 12+mpg. Actually, today ride was more miles than I've put on it the whole summer! It's been so danged hot before, and I've been so busy I'm too tired to ride by late in the day.

#288 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Glad you got a little seat time on your bike Daniel !! :thumbs:

#289 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 04:54 PM

Daniel I have a buddy who has a 1100 Virago. It is funny to watch him ride it, he is so tall that he actually keeps one or both legs stretched out over the hwy pegs. He looks like he is riding a recliner.

#290 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Good for you to get out & away for a minute.

Did anyone hear you humming "Born to be Wild" as you rode?

#291 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Good for you to get out & away for a minute.

Did anyone hear you humming "Born to be Wild" as you rode?

I likely looked wild. My dirty work pants & holey t-shirt, and my worn our work leathers while smoking a cigg behind the windshield....but I did have a nice helmet on! :orangecool:

#292 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:28 PM

SILAGE IS DONE!!!! :dancingbanana:

Well, except for covering with plastic & tires tomorrow morning. Filled both pits to the end, with about 38 acres left for grain, which will make somewhere in the range of 75 to 100bu/acre. Usually we end up with 65 to 70 acres left for grain, but the reduced silage yields took a lot more acres to fill the pits. Now if we can sell what grain we have at $8/bu, then corn prices drop so our feed prices would lower, then we'd be ok. But grain prices will stay up quite some time, so it's gonna be a very tight year or 2.
I had to mound the pit quite high to get it all in this afternoon, which caused me quite a problem. As I went to pack it, the silage was too soft next to the wall & the Cat 910 creeled over BAD. Setting at around a 45 degree angle with the top run of giant block all that kept it from rolling on it's side! :o Man how I wish I got a pic of that, but you can understand why I didn't think about that at the time. :smilewink: Yeah, I was scrambling, as the silage kept settling under the loader. I went to get the old IH wheel loader to chain to it to stabilize it, but the IH wouldn't crank...low battery! Went to get my booster, but forgot where I put it, so got my big 200 amp booster charger & got her fired right up. I was by myself, so I chained high on the loader frame of the Cart, then pulled with the IH loader till she righted a little. then jumped on the Cat & backed up a bit, then back on the IH to re-tighten the chain. Next time on the Cat got her righted! :orangecool: Got the IH out of the way, then back on the pit with the Cat & finished the job. Could use more packing, but I'm calling it good enough! Enough excitement for one day!
Next on the list....emptying the manure pit! Lets wait a few days though....I need to chill just a little!

#293 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:37 PM

Bet the pucker meter was maxed on that one. Glad you got it back to 'normal' with too much hassle!

#294 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:37 PM

IH to the rescue again :thumbs: Gotta love that "Red" stuff, at least in the big tractor arena.

What are you going to be doing with the corn you shell...sell it, or keep it for your own use?

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 21, 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#295 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Kenny....no pucker factor actually! I was kind of expecting problems, so was mentally prepared. I had to puash all the silage from the open end up, and had a hard time getting the loader to climb to the top to keep it packed proper. This pit was 20% full when we started & I wanted to pull the plastic off the remaining silage so I could fill from the top. As you push to the bottom, it packs as you go. Pushing from the bottom ends up with big fluffy piles at the top, which you then climb over the wall at the side to pack. But Dad didn't want to remove the plastic from last year's silage, causing the problems. But next year I'm doing as I see fit. It's me who does all the packing, so it's gonna be me calling the shots with the job.
OB...we sell all our grain to our feed company, then buy back a complete mix for our cows. We keep about 1500bu for grinding corn for our young stock. Oh...and no IH RED in this case. It's in industrial yellow as most payloaders are.

#296 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Got the track back on my hi-lift crawler this morning. Didn't have to break the track apart either. Loosened the big idler & slid it back all the way, then with pry bars, worked the track back into place. Getting ready to bush hog some fields before applying manure. Some tall weeds/grass where the spray didn't last the season, & want to keep the manure from packing this stuff to the ground. Some of this ground may get plowed at my plow day, so want to get the long stuff chopped up. The manure will be broken down well before plowing time. This ground may not be needed for plowing, but just want to have more ground ready if needed.

#297 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, I know they painted the T-354's yellow...but their heart is RED :D :D :D

#298 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I know they painted the T-354's yellow...but their heart is RED :D :D :D

True, so true!

#299 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Did both morning & night milking, plus more bush hogging of the silage field trash yesterday. Today I milked the cows, dried off 6 of them, then trimmed a fresh heifer's hooves....the one that fell into the gully. That turns out to be a lot of her problem. She had heel erosion & an interior sore. She's walking better already! I milk tonight, then off tomorrow! GT time!

#300 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 12:34 PM

Glad to here you got your silage pits filled after all the heat and lack of rain this summer Daniel. Up here its going to be a crap shute as were still dry and farmers are getting started. Some reports of zero to 100 bushels are coming in around me latley. Most farmers are saying they will be hitting the fields hard around Labor Day. Not many cattle ranchers around here so chopping is not a option. Were used to around 150- to 200 plus acre so its going to hit hard. My hats off to ya Daniel, don't know how you manage to keep up with your daily adventures. Randy G. :thumbs: