#16 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:02 AM

There's been plenty of times when I felt like I was getting dumped on, but I never had it to actually happen. Sorry Daniel. Hope better is in store for you today.
  • StephenHivy, laurarg3, georgepf11 and 1 other said thanks

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:38 AM

That is quite a looking machine,Daniel.

#18 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yrs back we used to spread the "poo", from the hog pits with a traveling irrigation gun. We laid out a 1/2 mile or so of 6" pipe, and pumped fro mthe pits out to the gun. The gun used a cable winch powered by a Robin diesil to draw it acrosst the field. The end of the cable was anchored to a model 66 Oliver tractor, that ussally got covered somewhat with poo. This machine would travel a 1/4mile dragging a 4" rubber hose. You ussally got a boot full when you had to unhook the hose and reset the machine. It took about 8hrs for it to go one pass acrosst the field, so i you got up earlier you could get two done before it was too dark. Plugging the gun nozzle was a common thing, ussally by a piece of wood. Our unit looked a lot like this one. http://www.google.co...:38&tx=97&ty=57

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 03:37 PM

We used to rent the gun system also, but the guy's equipment was always in bad repair, and we spent all our time repairing it. He took our time & materials off our bill, but it got to be too aggravating. Besides, we can reach more of our land using the wagons than with the traveling gun system.

#20 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Daniel. I should have been under the nozzle and maybe the poo would have stimulated some hair growth.The town we lived in before moving back to our home county had quite a large number of dairy farms. Some of the farmers apparently hired folks to haul the manure from their farms.It was quite common to see a large tractor pulling a tank spreader through town. When you saw them at night with all of the lights coming down a street it looked liked a space vehicle coming at you.I'm sure that there are custom harvest folks in your area that I already know you don't use because you have the equipment that you need. But I was wondering about the manure hauling. Is that offered in your neck of the woods or was it something just in our area ?

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Grand, there has never been a custom manure hauler in my area. Everyone around here always did it themselves, or hired a custom "gun shooter" to do it for them. No new hair growth on top of my head yet! LOL
  • Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Dan, you must have a fairly big hole to empty with running two tractors. Just curious how big your tanks are? I always enjoy reading your stories about farming. In my area the custom haulers are a big hit. I think a lot of them run 5200 gallon tanks. Coming up the hill past my house they almost cant downshift fast enough, at my driveway I can keep up with the tractor at a brisk walk. One day the local hauler decided to weigh in at the feed mill loaded, He came in at 120,000 pounds. Wonder how long his tractor brakes last. Thanks for sharing.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:47 AM

My tanks are 3300 gallons. As big as I'd wanna pull with our tractors & lay of the land. No poo hauling yesterday or today. Rained the last 2 nights.

#24 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing your story Daniel. I just got to read the whole thread. The farmers around dad's place are spraying too. I was going down a side road the other day, and saw a fellow with an old style flinger spreader. It brought memories of when that was what you saw.

Sorry you got a liquid gold shower. I can only imagine that concentrated stuff must be intense. Now, too bad no one got avthat on video.

I'm glad the straw hat survived too. I have three different straw ones I wear at dad's in the sun. A real panama from Panama, an Amish summer hat and a miscellaneous straw hat.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Here's what I'm doing today. Milked this morning, then removed the rear tire that has been leaking air/ballast the last few days. Got the rim primered where rust started, and will shoot some paint over that after lunch. Dad is picking up a new tube today, so I'll mount the tire back on tomorrow. This is our MF285 that stays on our feed wagon. Right now the larger MF1100 is doing silage duty, but I can't wait to get the 285 back to work. The 1100 is kind of large for where we have to go.
I changed the title of this thread so I can have a sort of a blog thread where I can post what's going on in my world of farming.

DSC00757.JPG DSC00758.JPG DSC00765.JPG
  • MH81, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#26 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 11:54 AM

...I changed the title of this thread so I can have a sort of a blog thread where I can post what's going on in my world of farming.

Thanks Dan! Now we'll know what you're up to :laughingteeth:

#27 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:06 PM

I changed the title of this thread so I can have a sort of a blog thread where I can post what's going on in my world of farming.

I think that will be very interesting.

#28 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Had the same thing happen to me the other day while fixing the drain under the toilet of the 2nd floor in an old age home. I didn't know those old folks were fed so much corn and peas !!
  • Huskyfan and Freddie1911 have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Used a fan to fast cure the paint, and got the tire mounted & tractor back on the silage mixer wagon. Gotta head to my Cat payloader & get ready to unload 30 more giant lego blocks. James just called & is on the way.

DSC00769.JPG

Just put this new injector pump on the same tractor yesterday. She starts & runs so much better now!

DSC00770.JPG
  • KennyP and Huskyfan have said thanks

#30 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for keeping us up on the running of your farm Daniel, this will be an interesting thread to follow :thumbs:. How about a lineup of all of your tractors so we can get an idea of the sizes you have and it would be interesting to hear what their primary activity is too such as "This is our MF285 that stays on our feed wagon)."