• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:37 AM

Glad you got the rock and vines out of there.  Trimmers can be a real PITA!

#2942 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Got the trimmer back together, but the way this head is made, there's no place the plastic overlaps enough for retaining screws.  BUT, the slot where the snap clips are....I can trim some plastic thick enough to fill the gap left after it's snapped together, then put in a screw there to hold that fill strip in place.  No way the snap clip can come out then unless it simply breaks.

Being I have so much farm work looking down the barrel at me, I just got back from cutting the 20 acres of wheat down with the discbine.  Now tomorrow won't be as jam-packed with things to do.  It's Sunday, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

Now tomorrow I may be able to finish the Massey 1130 & get it hooked to the silage wagon.  And I have herd computer records to get caught up before Tuesday herd vet check.

mowing wheat.jpg

• Craig., HDWildBill and Gabriel have said thanks

#2943 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the view Daniel, I still miss my old view.

030.JPG

• Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#2944 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Sometimes, working your day off makes the rest of the week easier! Hope that is what you went for!

#2945 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Got the trimmer back together, but the way this head is made, there's no place the plastic overlaps enough for retaining screws.  BUT, the slot where the snap clips are....I can trim some plastic thick enough to fill the gap left after it's snapped together, then put in a screw there to hold that fill strip in place.  No way the snap clip can come out then unless it simply breaks.
  Being I have so much farm work looking down the barrel at me, I just got back from cutting the 20 acres of wheat down with the discbine.  Now tomorrow won't be as jam-packed with things to do.  It's Sunday, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.
  Now tomorrow I may be able to finish the Massey 1130 & get it hooked to the silage wagon.  And I have herd computer records to get caught up before Tuesday herd vet check.

attachicon.gifmowing wheat.jpg

Hey that field looks familiar to me. That's the one we plowed behind your Dad's place.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#2946 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hey that field looks familiar to me. That's the one we plowed behind your Dad's place.

Yep! We have been there, Brian!

#2947 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Yep! We have been there, Brian!

Yep, that's the field that borders our road that we plowed.  Still waiting for our coop to spray for planting, so I want to get this wheat rolled for hay right away.  I will plant all this at Dad's first, hoping to chop all this out here so it'll be our plow day spot again.  I think it makes a better place for plow day, plus it'll be easier for Mom & Dad to come watch.  I'm switching to a better set of chemicals in hopes I don't have all the aftergrowth I had to roll up last year.  No matter what, I'll bush hog the stalks as low as possible.

But today wasn't my day off, but usually on Sunday milking days, we only do the milking & feeding, leaving a lot of the day for what we wanna do.  Today worked out better to get some valuable work done.  It got to 83 today, and I could see the first I cut had already wilted down quite well.  First chance for rain is Thursday, so I should have it all rolled & off the field by then I hope.

Made for a full day, but got my milking done in time to take a motorcycle ride to Greensburg, just 20 miles away & ate at Famous Recipe.  Teresa was in a bit of a funk, and I figured it would help........I was right.  All is well with the world, and our tummies are full!   A great day in Ball Hollow!   :thumbs:  (despite the weed whacker)  :smilewink:

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2948 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:57 PM

I bet a view like that makes all the hard work you do worth it!

Until I read your thread here I honestly never knew how hard a man works at owning a farm. At the end of the day it has to all be worth it.

#2949 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:59 PM

At the end of the day it has to all be worth it.

Most days it is, some days it isn't, but it all averages out to the positive side.  Nothing worthwhile is easy, at least not for average folks.

• TheFarm2004, Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2950 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Nothing worthwhile is easy, at least not for average folks.

Very true.

#2951 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:50 PM

If, at the end of the day you always seem to feel it wasn't worth it--- it probably isn't, and it's time for a change. That's why I'll always be a farmer. Even now, working alone, when I go out in the morning to do chores like I did today and there is another new calf looking in wonder at the sunshine, I know it is all worthwhile. Only 15 more ewes and 4 more cows to "midwife" through, and spring will be over for another year. I guess I'm "average folks" too, Daniel.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2952 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I guess I'm "average folks" too, Daniel.

Average folk are the best!!!!!!  In dairy meetings I meet a lot of wealthy farmers, and high up coop executives.  Most all are stuffed shirts with little to no character.  It's always the small "average folk" dairy farmers I enjoy meeting & talking with, and the same when not at dairy meetings.  It's just that I don't meet a lot of new people unless I'm at the meetings.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2953 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Cool to see the field we all plowed in nice pretty wheat like that! Guess we can all say we are farmers now :thumbs:

We have some farmers just up the road. They have about 1000-1500 acres near us and also own several farms in Indiana they lease out to others, but you can't meet any nicer, down to earth people! Even though they are very well off ( probably millionares), they haven't lost their roots.

#2954 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Average folk are the best!!!!!!  In dairy meetings I meet a lot of wealthy farmers, and high up coop executives.  Most all are stuffed shirts with little to no character.  It's always the small "average folk" dairy farmers I enjoy meeting & talking with, and the same when not at dairy meetings.  It's just that I don't meet a lot of new people unless I'm at the meetings.

Daniel

you hit the nail on the head there...  

#2955 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Worn to the bone today.  My knee has went out somewhat.  I was kneeling down working on a new step extension on the 1130, and I   couldn't get up till I worked closer to the tractor to pull myself up.  My knee just hurt so bad I couldn't put any weight on it at all.  Once up, then I can walk with almost no pain at all.  Ended up doing this 4 or 5 times, so I just called it a day for wrenching & went to feed silage.  Then, feeling like I could drop, the silage wagon unloading augers quit. Hurt getting down, then found the #60 chain behind the wagon....wrenching not over.  Found 1 last new #60 master link, got chain on, then had to straighten the tension roller that got bent sideways.  Feed finally fed, and I am done...literally.  Take me a shower & hit my recliner. Tomorrow is gonna be busy.   Vet check in morning, then tedder the wheat.  Hope to roll it Wednesday & bring it out of the field Thursday.  Hope my knee improves.  It's done this before & usually subsides in an hour or so, but it's hanging around longer this time.  My older brother is using a cane due to his knee pain is so bad.  He & his wife LOVE motorcycle riding, and with his knee like it is, biking is out till it gets better.  I think he'll need surgery.

• HDWildBill and Gabriel have said thanks