Got finished at 3pm, plenty ahead of milking! Turned out looking pretty good. The end uprights are still good as the cows can't reach them to slobber their stomach acids all over them. Here is one of the 2 end ones that are free standing, set in the concrete when poured about 25 years ago.
I cut the rusting ones off about 18" from the floor where they were in the worst condition. Then I cleaned the stubs, sprayed rust converter on them, then auto body undercoating. Then the new post extensions were bolted in place to the stubs, then into the ceiling with a treated & sealed 2x6 with long lag bolts.
She looks pretty darned good to me, but then I seen how bad it looked before. I forgot to take a camera before I got started.
Cows are pretty hard on things, so I added gusseting.
Now to see the pile of crap I took out. It was so bad I had to bolt wooden supports to hold things up or it would have collapsed.
You can see where this channel iron was worn till a loose ribbon of steel formed.
This is the other side of the parlor. It will need new upright extensions in the next year or so, but won't be as involved. This side has had the suspension arms replaced a couple or 3 years ago, so I will just unbolt these arms, cut the upright off, then slip in new channel iron up to the ceiling. The top rail was moved down a couple years ago when the bottom rail rotted out, and I put in a temporary top rail from scrap 2" tubing. For now I'll just leave the tubing unless I get time to weld up brackets on another pipe section. I have enough new pipe for this side already though.
Sure glad all went smoothly today. Dad worked on the MF285 while Josh & I did the parlor. MF285 is finished. A few hours put on the clock, then she'll go up for sale.
We have gotten a lot of things accomplished the last 2 or 3 weeks despite things sometimes working against us.