• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 04:29 PM

The 1130 isn't on the silage wagon yet, and really, that's what I wanted to be working on, but was waiting on the 1" bolts for the hitch, so we started on the 285.  Bolts are in, so we could put it on the wagon now, but would be better if we pulled the fuel tank & fixed the park lock first.  If weather isn't bad tomorrow, I'll be repairing the milk parlor rails.  Always a list of things to do.

The 1100 that is on the wagon needs the wheels spun in, as she's almost too wide to clear feeder sideboards, but I just hate to go to the trouble as I'd have to spin them right back out soon as ground dries to plant corn.  We'll get the 1130 going within a week for the wagon, so we'll just get by till then.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2897 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 10:20 AM

Got a lot done at the milk parlor.  Both the old rails are out.  The top one is in great shape, so it will be moved down to the bottom when done.  2 new uprights are bolted into the ceiling.  Waiting for the rust converter to dry on the stubs of the old upright steel posts to dry before undercoating, then bolting the new uprights to them.  The new suspension arms will then be bolted on once I finish drilling the holes after lunch, then the long rails bolted to them.  It will take most of the day to finish this job, but glad it's getting marked off the list.  

I'll snap some pics in a while.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2898 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 02:41 PM

Got finished at 3pm, plenty ahead of milking!  Turned out looking pretty good.  The end uprights are still good as the cows can't reach them to slobber their stomach acids all over them.  Here is one of the 2 end ones that are free standing, set in the concrete when poured about 25 years ago.

DSC00126.JPG

I cut the rusting ones off about 18" from the floor where they were in the worst condition.  Then I cleaned the stubs, sprayed rust converter on them, then auto body undercoating.  Then the new post extensions were bolted in place to the stubs, then into the ceiling with a treated & sealed 2x6 with long lag bolts.

DSC00127.JPG

She looks pretty darned good to me, but then I seen how bad it looked before.  I forgot to take a camera before I got started.

DSC00127.JPG DSC00125.JPG

Cows are pretty hard on things, so I added gusseting.

DSC00128.JPG

Now to see the pile of crap I took out.  It was so bad I had to bolt wooden supports to hold things up or it would have collapsed.

DSC00120.JPG DSC00123.JPG

You can see where this channel iron was worn till a loose ribbon of steel formed.  

DSC00122.JPG

This is the other side of the parlor.  It will need new upright extensions in the next year or so, but won't be as involved.  This side has had the suspension arms replaced a couple or 3 years ago, so I will just unbolt these arms, cut the upright off, then slip in new channel iron up to the ceiling.  The top rail was moved down a couple years ago when the bottom rail rotted out, and I put in a temporary top rail from scrap 2" tubing.  For now I'll just leave the tubing unless I get time to weld up brackets on another pipe section.  I have enough new pipe for this side already though.

DSC00130.JPG

Sure glad all went smoothly today.  Dad worked on the MF285 while Josh & I did the parlor.  MF285 is finished.  A few hours put on the clock, then she'll go up for sale.

We have gotten a lot of things accomplished the last 2 or 3 weeks despite things sometimes working against us.  :thumbs:

• powerking56, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#2899 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Good productive day. I am so glad to hear your dad is up and about again.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2900 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Good productive day. I am so glad to hear your dad is up and about again.

It tires Dad out, but he enjoys the heck out of being able to do some work again.  I don't think there will be any way he can run the chopper again, so if that is the case, I'm not sure what we'll do this fall.  So hard to find willing workers, even temporary.  The hardest part will be finding someone capable, and one that won't tear up our machinery, or get hurt.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2901 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:22 PM

glad you got your parlor rails fixed... your cows will be in milking heaven now! is it as hard to find good help down your way too, we have a real hard time finding anything but warm bodies
  • Craig. said thank you

#2902 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Rob, they are so lazy down here they aren't even warm!  .....and they don't care!

• Craig. said thank you

#2903 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:42 PM

If I were closer, I'd try real hard to be more than a warm body! Just green as all get out on what you are doing!

#2904 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:44 PM

If I were closer, I'd try real hard to be more than a warm body! Just green as all get out on what you are doing!

Come this fall I may have to send you a plane ticket to Ky!  :D

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2905 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Won't take long to pack!

#2906 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:31 PM

If I were closer I"d be right there also, the only Massy I ever drove was an 1130 a looong time ago. that would be neat to see someone else's hills .
  • olcowhand and Gabriel have said thanks

#2907 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:32 PM

We have a saying at the place wgere I work.   We do not want to know your last name for 3 weeks.......lol

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2908 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:45 AM

Got the 1130 in the shop following morning milking.  The park pawl is to be delivered today via UPS, so I wanted to get started removing the left fuel tank to get to the park mechanism.  Got the fuel tanks drained, then got side tracked by the park linkages.  One linkage shaft passes through cast and was seized.  Took me 2 hours to remove half the dash just to get to it.  With some heat I finally got the shaft out just before lunch.  I think I will drill & place a grease fitting, as there is no provision for lubing this shaft at all.  Hopefully I'll get the tank off this afternoon & see exactly what broke.  I sure hope it's just the pawl, as that's all I will have right now.  

I also need to get the new battery in the Cat 910 payloader.  Without a 2 amp charger on it, it'll be dead in mornings, and there is no voltage bleed.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2909 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Yea, Cat does seem to always run out of energy in the mornings! Guess we need to plug him into a charger as well. :rolling:

• KennyP said thank you

#2910 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Well, it appears park was not out as Dad thought years ago.  It would appear the frozen park shaft was what prompted Dad to unhook the link rod from this shaft linkage.  You can't get to this shaft without taking a lot of stuff off the tractor, so I'm betting as a time saver he just unhooked & wired the rod.  Anyway, I reconnected everything, then Josh & I rocked the rear wheels and it is in park.  I can hear the gear lash where the parking pawl engages the tranny gear.  But being I took all the dash side off, I could access the shift slide assembly & got it working much slicker.  Sometime next week this 1130 will be pulling the silage wagon.  I won't be working on it tomorrow, as it's my Aunt's funeral at 11am.  She was my last surviving Aunt too.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks