• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Good to hear Dad is doing all he can to stay busy and sharp. I am wondering if you have gotten a batch of bad head gaskets with all the issue you have had with this one. M/F or Perkins orders them by the hundreds and it could be several years before a batch gets used up across the country. It will be good to see the 1130-1100 back in full time work as a dedicated fed tractor, I hate to just let them sit and not get used regularly.

I got this last gasket from Massey, but it & the last one weren't  OE Massey gaskets.  The one on order is OE, and they are supposed to be improved over the older OE gaskets.  The MF285 doesn't have a place in my heart like the MF1130 does, so I have no problem saying goodbye to it, but the 1130 has been here for 35 years or so.  I would have had a hard time seeing it go.  

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#2837 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 02:25 PM

I HATE BIRDS!   First they tried burning up a tractor with their nests, now today I grind a load of corn & a birds nest in the grinder unloading auger jammed the feed flow & sheared bolts in the drive.  Before grinding, I ran the empty grinder/mixer till bird nest material stopped coming, and I got some residual ground corn coming out.  But, where the auger folds, it evidently wrapped a bunch of nest around the coupling & caused the jam.  Now I have to change out the bolt and hope on hope it will get the auger turning without shearing again.  EVERY time I add supplement to the silage, one particular auger belt cover is ALWAYS crammed with a nest too.  Every day the nest gets destroyed in the afternoon when I turn the auger on.  Once it ran the belt off.  On the other auger, it ate the bird too (yay!), but ruined the belt in the process.  Did I say I HATE BIRDS ?

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2838 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Is there any way to put a removable screen over the areas that they are getting in thru?

#2839 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Im getting ready to replace the axle in my 52' 8n and have about three nests to clean out along with a bucket full of dirt daubers.

#2840 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 02:58 PM

You need more big hungry kittys

• Craig. said thank you

#2841 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:14 PM

I seem to be having a bird issue too. We always had a pair of wrens that nested by the chickens, never really a nuisance, but this spring, man I have birds all over inside the barn and in hay loft. Seems they moved all their extened relatives, even the illegal ones in too.

Can't wait until that big black snake finally wakes from his slumber.

#2842 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:39 PM

The grinder auger end is way up in the air, so hard to reach to cover it, but if ran just a few seconds, that end clears easily.  It's the lower end that is hard to cover due to the drop from the tank auger is down inside the unloading auger receiving end trough.  But, I may be able to make something I can seal it with.  This is the end that a nest causes a clog halfway up the unloading auger.  

I got the feed unloaded.  The shear bolt is special, and I had no more in the rubber holder on the mixer.  luckily it's the same shear bolt as on our silage chopper gathering head, and I had plenty in the chopper tool box.

Worst thing about the whole feed jam is how the auger was completely jammed with feed, making it very heavy.  I have to swing it uphill to the bin.  My neck has been hurting pretty bad for several days now & was just beginning to feel better.  Well, pulling that super heavy auger to the bin got the neck hurting full tilt again.  I've had far worse cases, but not a good time with all the field work I'm fixing to get into.  I can't look behind me very well at all right now.  Dang birds!

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#2843 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Oh, the birds are also nesting all over in the shop....in corners, in roof vents, in our wooden bolt bins....everywhere!

I have GOT to make at least 2 of these repeating traps.  One for the shop, and one for the machinery shed.

• TheFarm2004, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2844 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:28 PM

ole cowhand

do any dairy farmers, including you in your neck of the woods plant any Mycogen BMR corn for silage for the dairy cows?

Edited by rdehli, April 22, 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#2845 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:21 AM

ole cowhand

do any dairy farmers, including you in your neck of the woods plant any Mycogen BMR corn for silage for the dairy cows?

I don't know what other dairy farmers plant, but I will look into the Mycogen BMR.  I see it likes wetter ground, so would be ideal for a couple of our fields at least.

• Craig. said thank you

#2846 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Now that is one cool trap. I like how they just keep coming.

• KennyP said thank you

#2847 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 23, 2014 - 09:54 AM

I don't know what other dairy farmers plant, but I will look into the Mycogen BMR.  I see it likes wetter ground, so would be ideal for a couple of our fields at least.

Our dairy farmers up here really like it .    cows milk like gang busters on it.   

#2848 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Those little boogers are a real pain, and they harbor dangerous mites that can really mess up your chickens if you have them in any numbers. We had something similar and it worked incredibly well. Too bad they aren't larger, you could fill your freezer with them LOL.
  • Craig. said thank you

#2849 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 10:48 AM

So far today I've milked the cows, disked just a few spots a 2nd time in the corn field, unhooked the disk & hooked the MF2745 to the seed drill.  Worked on 3 of the closer wheels, and after lunch welding a guard to prevent one of us from stepping off onto the wheel that traction drives the seeder.  When planter raised, this wheel is off the ground, so stepping onto it is instant danger.  I think we've all hit the ground from it, so time to prevent it again.  I also filled some small washes in the future alfalfa field with gravel, pushed off the crud where they hay ring feeder was, and smoothed the gravel drive up the hill to the dry cows.  BUSY morning!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2850 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Only got the small 2 acre field seeded next to Josh's house.  Had problems getting it calibrated (operator error), then I had a closer (press) wheel bearing go out.  No spares, but I knew it looked familiar.  I have had an old used bearing for a John Deere deck floating pulley, one that the belt from engine goes to, and it's been laying on a upturned bucket in my old shop for years.  It's just like the one in pic below.  I just ground a flat on the shaft for the seeder's lock bolt to lock onto, bolted the bearing in between the seeder wheel's halves, and now I'll be ready to start the 18 acre field after morning milking.

deck.jpg

Here's the OE drill bearing.

drill.jpg

Inventory can come in awfully handy!!!!!!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks