#271 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I guess all the posts I had in the old site version's "Blog" section are lost. I had quite a few stories of my farm events there. :(

I noticed all those blogs are gone.

#272 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 04:14 PM

Get a couple extras while your at it. From the sounds of things, you'll use them!

I figure to just buy a set for an older V8 so I'll have plenty of spares. I can redo as many as I need for extra coil wires. I have a box of the rubber caps & metal ends. I just didn't have the time to stop & make one today, and all I have is used graphite centered wires.
Earlier today while in the shop getting a bucket to water the heifer after pulling her from the hole, I had my baseball style hat on & didn't see the raised loader arms on the "Big Dipper" loader awaiting me to put a new water pump in. I turned around & ran the top of my head right into the steel loader arm! Almost knocked me cold, and I did go down, but I'm ok....but a headache and a bloody line across the top of my head. My problem is that this kind of stuff only happens when we're super busy already, which leaves me to do multi-tasking to keep up with everything. That causes me to have to work in as fast a mode as I can, and that in itself can cause even more problems......like my aching head! While it can be overwhelming, I take pride in being able to get things done when I'm in a pinch. What truly worries me is "how long" or to what age can I still be able to manage days like this. I'm lucky to still have my Dad at his 86 years of age & he still be able to work. We can't afford to hire a full time hand, and when dad can't work, or his time comes, I'm gonna be in a world of hurt to keep this place going.
May come a day that this won't be a dairy any longer. Time will tell I reckon. One can only do what one can do.

#273 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Just order a coil wire online and tell them to deliver it to the tractor that isn't moving at the moment. Should get it close enough.

#274 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Had some time to chill, so took the 4 wheeler to snap some pics. Here is the 1960 IH "Hough 30" pay loader with a simple jig to fetch down cows with.

DSC00044.JPG

And here is my 1960 IH T340 hi-lift crawler, still down where the cow was. (kinda stuck on 1960, LOL)

DSC00049.JPG

Here' the hole she was wedged into. Doesn't look it, but almost 7' deep.

DSC00047.JPG

Had to open the clam bucket on the crawler to use the back side of the opened blade to backdrag the bank into a slope, so she'd slide up with less stress to her. Would have went deeper, but dirt was falling on her head & getting her nervous.

DSC00048.JPG
  • KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#275 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Now you need to get a ride back down to the crawler. Boy, it sure is 'green' there.

#276 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Now you need to get a ride back down to the crawler. Boy, it sure is 'green' there.

The ragweed has exploded! I had sprayed all this with 2-4D earlier this year, but the spray didn't hold!
Going back down is no problem...gravity helps me! LOL

#277 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 04:34 AM

That T-340 looks to be in decent shape.

I've had some seat time on one with the Drott 4 in 1 loader. I'm pretty sure that it was originally for Ag use as it had a 3-pt and PTO as well. It also had TA. Don't know if that was standart or optional.

Handy little rascal, and would do a lot more work that you would think for as small as it is.

#278 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 07:36 AM

What a great thread! I know I'm a little late to the table on this but do you apply manure as a solid or are you knifing it into the ground as a liquid? I'm somewhat familiar with liquid manure application. If you are applying in liquid form have you ever considered an umbilical setup instead of using wagons to haul it to the field?

#279 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 08:21 AM

What a great thread! I know I'm a little late to the table on this but do you apply manure as a solid or are you knifing it into the ground as a liquid? I'm somewhat familiar with liquid manure application. If you are applying in liquid form have you ever considered an umbilical setup instead of using wagons to haul it to the field?

Liquid over the top of ground. Can't afford the more expensive knife wagons right now. We did the irrigation style for several years, but is a real pain & limits where you can apply due to pipe lengths the owner of the system had. We can put it anywhere with these wagons when the ground ism right.....even my BIL's garden!
  • pigsitter said thank you

#280 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I forgot the pics of the new momma cow! Here she is resting & standing.

DSC00045.JPG DSC00046.JPG

This morning started wrong. As soon as I got to the barn to put the cows into the holding pen, a tiny hard shelled but got in my eye. Still in there but not bothering me bad at the moment. Hoping it works it's way out, as no time to go get it removed. Gonna have Teresa give a look-see, hoping she can get it out of there.
The heifer needed to be milked this morning. She slipped down in the holding pen, but got up easy enough. Got her milked, then needed to give her a shot to reduce swelling on her hip nerves.....she went down in the parlor. She again got up & I got her back to the hospital pen with no problems. Larry, the owner kind of slipped when I called him to let him know of the problems I'm having with her. I noticed she walked kind of stiff when he unloaded her the day before, but being freshly calved, I didn't think too much of it until we spoke on the phone. He said "well she's been through a lot with pulling the calf....well, I didn't have to pull it"..........I bet he did have to pull it! That usually causes swelling on the hip nerves, which makes them do exactly as she's doing. She likely went to the hole where she did because this is directly below the barns, and being downhill, she gravitated to that spot. Then the high weeds and not knowing the farm, she likely just stumbled into the little ravine leading to the hole.
I'll give her a few more days, and if she's gonna be too much trouble, Larry will need to come & get her.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#281 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Went down to doze in that big hole, and once past all the weeds, the rest of that hole was HUGE! It will eventually wash out again, but for the moment I HAD to get it filled in. Got about 3/4 finished & ran the left track off the front idler wheel! The hole is filled plenty to keep any cow out of danger, so the dozer will just have to wait till next week to get the track back on. Not fun to do, but at least nothing is broken that I can see. I've had this happen about 3 times before over the years.

#282 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 11:05 AM

I don't see how you get the time to do all that you do during the day. You must have a time stretcher machine or something.

#283 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't see how you get the time to do all that you do during the day. You must have a time stretcher machine or something.

When we're busy, we go at a dead run. Harder to take, the older I get! Got the 3 loads of silage pushed up before lunch, now time to go again. Just chopping till 2pm to give Josh time to scrape the manure from the lots. I may go get started on the dozer track if there's time after we cover the silage with plastic. I have about 40' of this pit capped off, so we need to go ahead & seal that much off with the plastic sheeting. I milk tonight also, and supposed to be off tomorrow, but Josh asked to switch days off with me to go on a canoe river trip with his girlfriend's family tomorrow. I'll be off Sunday now instead.

#284 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 11:16 AM

The heifer is doing pretty good, but not putting her on concrete for a few days. Our baby calf is keeping her emptied of milk pretty well, so she can just play momma for a while longer. Dozer still sits with track off waiting for me.
If nothing breaks, we should finish silage tomorrow!!!!!!! Manure needs spread as soon as we get the silage finished, so no free time for several days yet. Then I have a couple days of cow hoof trimming to do.

#285 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 02:01 PM

If nothing breaks, we should finish silage tomorrow!

Just what I get for opening my big mouth....the twin main V belts on the chopper broke! A mad 75 mile dash on my 1100 Virago, and new belts installed. Going to the field now to test everything out. We'll now likely be Wednesday finishing.