8670 replies to this topic

#2821 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 10:27 PM

From what I can see looking at tractor data, that Massey is more tractor than the Ford.  Frankly, even if you had to pay someone to fix the Massey's problems, it should still cost less than the Ford.  And I'm pretty sure a used tractor is going to have some issues come up anyway, so this way you skip the $18000 payment and just pay for repairs, just like you would have for the Ford.

Beside, you might wake up one morning and find all those red tractors beat up on that Ford overnight!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2822 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 08:49 AM

From what I can see looking at tractor data, that Massey is more tractor than the Ford.  Frankly, even if you had to pay someone to fix the Massey's problems, it should still cost less than the Ford.  And I'm pretty sure a used tractor is going to have some issues come up anyway, so this way you skip the $18000 payment and just pay for repairs, just like you would have for the Ford.

Beside, you might wake up one morning and find all those red tractors beat up on that Ford overnight!

Then you would have medical cost's on top of the payment! :rolling:

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2823 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Had a close call this morning.  Was chisel plowing with one of the MF2745's.  Smelled something similar to a smoking V-belt, then looked down through the cab window, and smoke billowing from the exhaust crossover next to the cab.  Shut her down, jumped out, and I had FIRE at the back of the engine.  This is where the safety warning comes in..........BE SURE TO HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON BOARD!  Bad thing is, I did NOT have an extinguisher.  Some fast work with fresh chiseled dirt & I got the fire put out.  There was some old accumulated oil back there, but that wasn't what caused the fire.  BIRDS!  They keep building nests & I keep tearing them out.  I had checked it yesterday, and it appeared clear.  But once I got it back to the parlor for a good cleaning, I found that bits of birds nest material had dropped down below the crossover manifold to where I couldn't see it.  Well, it's ALL out now, and I had to splice new wiring in where they got melted.  Been back to the field since & all is well.  Would have finished, but behind a bit.  Will finish chiseling after lunch.   Oh, and there IS now a fire extinguisher on board, and I will be buying a few more as well.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#2824 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Glad you got it put out and could get it fixed to work some more!

• Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#2825 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Glad you got it out in time.  Bet you had to get fresh pair of shorts as well! :rolling:   My biggest problem around here has been mice but I think Moth ball have taken care of that.

• Gabriel said thank you

#2826 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Before hooking the 14' disc to the other MF2745, I did a bird nest check.  Yep, they'd been busy.  The valley of the V8 had about 1/2 a basketball's worth of dry nesting material, and I know it is new because they carried some green weeds/grass in there too.  Got that all cleaned out, then hot water cleaned residual oil/grease from the engine.  Got all the chiseled areas disked down, then called Teresa to come get me.  Didn't want to fold the disk wings back up to drive it back down, as it will need another disking later.  

• Craig., KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#2827 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Boy!  Tractor fire!  I have a small inkling how you felt, as last fall I had a choke cable short to the hot starter solenoid post on my Massey 12!  As you did, I thought a belt was smoking under load.  I really got upset when I saw white-hot wire right under the gas tank, and I'd have given a lot for an extinguisher right about then too.

Glad you were able to get it out, hopefully getting the wires right won't be a big issue.

• olcowhand, Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#2828 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:19 PM

I had a fire in the WarBeast one day when oil splashed on the hot manifold. All I had to put it out with was a 2 liter Dr Pepper. I spent the rest of the day really wanting BBQ.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2829 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:55 PM

It is good that the whole tractor didn't go to, it seems that they can go up in flames so quick.The one year I had the chance to help with filling silo, we had that happen to the harvester. Same thing, no fire extinguisher around. We used some loose dirt to smother it. 

• olcowhand and Gabriel have said thanks

#2830 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:59 PM

hopefully getting the wires right won't be a big issue.

Fixed them right away & went back to the field.

• Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#2831 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Been filling the dumpster with garbage, and she's full, so getting our money's worth this month.  They come empty it tomorrow.  I am finished for the day......13 1/2hr day.  Got a lot done though, so a good day despite the fire scare.  I'll sit here at the computer till I get up the energy to go take a shower.  In the meantime, just pinch your noses.   :smilewink:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2832 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Glad the day went well besides the tractor BBQ!

• olcowhand said thank you

#2833 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 07:20 PM

This morning Dad wanted to tinker with the MF285 with the blown head gasket.  I helped clear a spot in the shop & backed it in for him before going to plow the fields.  He gave out after just a little while & went home.  Just some sheet metal taken off.  Josh has never taken a head off a diesel in his life, but didn't want Dad doing more than he should, so while I was plowing, Josh got the head removed & did a good job.  Kept everything very organized & broke nothing!  Took a bit of scanning the gasket, but finally found the leaky spot.  It was early stage of blown, so place was small & not easily seen.  We've never had a head gasket blow where this one did.  They have always blown cylinder to cylinder.  

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#2834 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 07:31 PM

This morning Dad wanted to tinker with the MF285 with the blown head gasket.  I helped clear a spot in the shop & backed it in for him before going to plow the fields.  He gave out after just a little while & went home.  Just some sheet metal taken off.  Josh has never taken a head off a diesel in his life, but didn't want Dad doing more than he should, so while I was plowing, Josh got the head removed & did a good job.  Kept everything very organized & broke nothing!  Took a bit of scanning the gasket, but finally found the leaky spot.  It was early stage of blown, so place was small & not easily seen.  We've never had a head gasket blow where this one did.  They have always blown cylinder to cylinder.  

Well if it did the same thing all the time it would get boring.

#2835 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Good to hear Dad is doing all he can to stay busy and sharp. I am wondering if you have gotten a batch of bad head gaskets with all the issue you have had with this one. M/F or Perkins orders them by the hundreds and it could be several years before a batch gets used up across the country. It will be good to see the 1130-1100 back in full time work as a dedicated feed tractor, I hate to just let them sit and not get used regularly.

• HDWildBill said thank you