#2746 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Silage soup doesn't sound all that good.

Doesn't sound much worse than "cabbage and meatball soup"

:poke:  :poke:  :rolling:  :D

• UncleWillie said thank you

#2747 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 04, 2014 - 10:19 AM

we got 1 1/2 inches of wet white stuff.   this morning.      now its melting into mud...    

• Craig. said thank you

#2748 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Milked cows, then got set for herd vet check.  Vet check went smooth enough, then to dehorn a couple bred heifers that I somehow missed when young.  Got that done, but when releasing the 1st one we had forgotten to shut a gate, and it shot into the wrong field, but at least where no cattle were.  After finishing the 2nd one, I rode the 4 wheeler to see if it got through to where it was supposed to be, as it looked like it was going to jump the fence.  Well, she was gone, so I assume she is in her field again, but I'll check for sure later.  But while looking for her, in another field across the creek, I knew something was wrong.  A lone heifer was standing up[ against a tree, but she was on the other side, so I couldn't see what was up, but it appeared her head was stuck in the tree.  Rode around into that field, and sure enough, she is stuck....tight!  It looks like her head is swollen now too, making it impossible to get her out without work.  I'll have to take a chainsaw, and carefully cut into the tree a few inches away from her head until I can use a sledge hammer to finish busting a chunk out so she can escape.  I'll take the loader down & place the bucket so she can't swing her body towards me.  I'll be sure to get some pics.  Stupid stuff like this happens too often!

• Craig. and Cublover have said thanks

#2749 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Bet you guys have never seen a cow with it's head stuck in a tree huh?  Well, me neither!  Here she is in all her glory....well, stupidity!

DSC00085.JPG DSC00086.JPG DSC00087.JPG

My chainsaw just wouldn't run well enough to even try, but I had already decided to try a different method.  She wanted to stay standing, but that locked her head even tighter.  So I used the hay spear over her back, and slowly pushed her downward till she finally decided it was a good idea to cooperate.  Then I took a 5 foot 1 1/4" thick solid steel bar & worked her head until aligned with the hole.  Once I got both ears peeled back & out of the tree, it was a light pry against the top of her skull & she slid right out!

DSC00088.JPG

She was MIGHTY stumbly for a while.

DSC00090.JPG

Here head wasn't swollen like I thought, just a spot under her chin, which when she was standing, the underside was all I could see.

DSC00089.JPG

HUNGRY she is!  I believe she's been in the tree for at LEAST 3 days!   She's munching in the center of the pic.

DSC00093.JPG

• powerking56, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2750 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 01:39 PM

That's good news, got her out and saved the tree. Better plug that hole for the next time :thumbs:

She get a cut on her left flank/thigh? Looks like a red mark back there

• olcowhand said thank you

#2751 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 01:52 PM

That's good news, got her out and saved the tree. Better plug that hole for the next time :thumbs:

She get a cut on her left flank/thigh? Looks like a red mark back there

The tree is now filled with large creek rock, basketball size & smaller, all wedged in tight!  :thumbs:  She fought a little when I forced her downward & got against the loader's fork mount, but just a hard scrape.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2752 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Glad you were able to save her, Wow 3 days is a long time to be stuck like that.

• Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#2753 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Glad you were able to save her, Wow 3 days is a long time to be stuck like that.

Actually, I believe she was there for a good 5 days!  Josh saw one standing "by" that tree last Thursday during the pour down rain, but never thought anymore of it.  Whenever I see an a cow/heifer anywhere all by itself, it sets off alarms with me.  Poor old heifer, but she'll be ok I'm sure. 

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2754 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 03:54 PM

Just fed silage to all the critters.  The "junior" heifers came up while feeding, and the tree hugging heifer drug up the rear, bawling for feed!  

Working with cows reminds me why I like working on equipment....I can turn the equipment "off" to work on it, and unfortunately I don't have that option with cattle.  Or for the most part.  The crazy "senior" heifer that calved a while back & tried running me down...well, I got her caught in the headlocks yesterday to try & load her on the trailer to sell.  She almost tore the headlocks apart trying to go through them to get me!  She hit the headlocks so hard that the locking levers flew up & she escaped.  Talked with Kevin, my vet, and he's gonna let me use his dart gun so I can shut her "off" when I'm ready to do it.  The meds to knock her down will be $50, but worth every cent.  When I asked if he had one, he said he NEVER loans out this gun, but then immediately said he was happy to loan it to me (just not tell anyone around here).  Kevin & I get along VERY well!  Once she's down, I'll have to drag her into the cattle trailer, then feed & water her in there for a week to let the drug clear for slaughter.  Seems this is the ONLY safe option I have.  She is NUTS! 

Just started raining yet again!  Seems it rains every 3 or 4 days.  Had some hail mixed in a few minutes ago as well.  My day is done!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2755 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Glad you were able to get her out of there. I'd ask why she stuck her head in there, but I've been around cattle enough to know the doesn't need to be a reason. They are rather stupid!

• olcowhand said thank you

#2756 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Safest way is always the best way, I'm glad he's going to lend you the gun... How's ur BLOW? lol do them old lungs got what it takes? LOL or is Josh going to be using his newer set of lungs lol

#2757 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Safest way is always the best way, I'm glad he's going to lend you the gun... How's ur BLOW? lol do them old lungs got what it takes? LOL or is Josh going to be using his newer set of lungs lol

Not a blowgun, but a pump up model.  But to answer your windy question, I can blow out all 56 candles come October!  :mad2: .......  :smilewink:

• Craig., KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#2758 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Across the road from us is a small herd of longhorns and behind that is some dairy cattle. The dairy guy, Mr. Kaizer, said that about 15 years ag, after a hguge storm, he got a call from the people who lived here who said a cow was climbing a tree behind the house. He came over and sure enough there was a 100 pound calf about 6 feet in the air. It had evidently jumped down the embankment and landed in the fork of a tree about 6 feet high. They had to cut half the tree down. That explains why I have a wierdly shaped tree - or well did - lightening got it.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2759 jpackard56 ONLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Glad you were able to get her out of there. I'd ask why she stuck her head in there, but I've been around cattle enough to know the doesn't need to be a reason. They are rather stupid!

I agree, cows can do some unbelievable things, but if you want to see really "stupid" critters ya gotta try raising sheep :wallbanging:

• olcowhand, skyrydr2 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2760 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 03:50 AM

Dan, you can't get a few ropes on that honorary critter and run um through the trailer and drag her in with a tractor? Boy I'd stay and watch that monster go down and then up by her back legs!!!
Had a jersey bull like that... Was real pleasing seeing him hanging in the cooler!!! He was down right treacherous!! And had horns too.... He had kicked my dad and sent him clear across the barn , so he got a nose ring, horned a fella interested in buying him ( thoughthe could reform him LOL) then while in the stanstion the monster flattened grandpa Anderson...... Fate worse than death for that critter... You dont mess with a 6'5" tall 250# Swede and think you will get away with it! Grandpa got up and leveled thay bull with a 4x4 .. Then when he came too it was all over for him the back hoe was there and chains were on his ankles ! A few seconds later BANG! And he was swingin..
Only Herefords from then on, much more docile critters.
  • Craig. said thank you