• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Maybe you have a problem with the power distribution block on the DC power Daniel. I hope you can get it figured out, nothing like trying to do a job with problems in the field.

Could be Brian, as the previous owner did some serious hacking to the electrical system.

#257 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 08:53 PM

...previous owner did some serious hacking to the electrical system.

don't they all... being in automotive wiring, it kills me when people half-a$$ on the wire connections, routing, splicing, protection, etc.

#258 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Well, today is UGLY! A friend who quit milking brought some of his cows to my place to milk them till he decides what to do with them. Last night a fresh heifer he just brought yesterday forced her way into a gully, right through a dead tree I pushed in there to keep them out. I have no idea how I will get her out, as she's in there with the dead tree, which is unstable. She's a good 6' below grade too. Tractors would have a hard time getting to this spot, so I'm getting my old crawler loader out. I may have to cut a way for her to get out, then somehow get the tree out of her way. Gonna be a long day. No chopping silage for me.

#259 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:41 AM

don't they all... being in automotive wiring, it kills me when people half-a$$ on the wire connections, routing, splicing, protection, etc.

You should have seen the wiring on my wife's trucks starter. It is a wire about 2 1/2 feet long that was made up of 4 inch sections and crimp connectors. While I was fixing that I found that the ignition wiring was also a mess of splices. I spent a day and a half under it with a soldering iron fixing the mess the PO made.

And OCH good luck getting that cow out. Might be time for a BBQ.

#260 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Does not sound like a fun job, stay safe, working around unstable tree limbs/trunks with a saw is scary!!

#261 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Daniel let us know how that goes getting the cow out. I bet that is a mess.

#262 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well, got her out but as soon as I left concrete onto grass with the dozer to go rescue her, a stick came up & tore my coil wire in-two! Robbed one off our old payloader & back in business. Had to push some dirt in front of her, then drag the bank edge backward beside her. Once I got an incline, I pulled her easily out with a halter to chain. She almost got up, but needs to rest. I left her secured to the dozer so she can't get back into the gully. After lunch I have to see if she can get up, and if not, I'll have to get her on a skid & bring her up the steep hill to the barn. Not gonna be fun! Yep, another one of "those" days! :(

#263 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear of your cow issues, but glad you got her without any injuries to her. Hopefully her will be rested up enough to get to the barn on her own. You be careful.

#264 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 01:04 PM

The old IH Hough payloader was what I robbed the coil wire from, so once the cow was out of the gully, the only thing to secure her to was the dozer itself to keep her from working herself back into the hole. So I secured her, gave her 2 bottles of calcium/potassium IV, then took the coil wire back off & walked up the steep hills to the shed & put the wire back on the loader. This old payloader is the one that I had a jury rigged platform to attach to the bucket. So off the steep hill to the cow. I had the bucket down low, so the bottom would skid tight to the ground, giving me more holdback. Got down there fine. More or less had to pull her onto the platform by hand, but she was too far to one side. No pulling her this direction by hand. So robbed the coil wire again to fire up the dozer to give her an alignment pull. Coil wire back on the loader, then got heifer strapped into the bucket/platform & slowly headed up the hill. This old payloader doesn't have limited slip or diff lock, so I was a little worried she'd slip. I felt it slip once, then I just eased real slow & got her to the top & to the hospital pen. Slid her onto the sawdust floor, then she got right up! She's rubber legged, but she should be ok in a day or two. No putting her on concrete for a bit, so I had another cow calve just last night, and have to go get her & calf in. So I'll just put the new calf with this injured heifer & let it nurse the milk out till she heals enough. Gotta get out the door to get the calf. Later!

#265 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like it's time to invest in a 'spare' coil wire! LOL Dang, Daniel, you might want to keep all these posts to write a book in your later years. Always something going on at the "OCH Dairy"!
  • twostep said thank you

#266 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:56 PM

When I finally finished with the heifer, I got to the silage pit & it was a mess! Josh couldn't keep up with packing & hauling, so he just pushed it up & silage piles were everywhere. So I told him to call Dad & tell him to take a 20 to 30 minute break while I got things pushed & packed right. Sent Josh to put the calf with the heifer. When I got the silage caught up, I went to unload the load in the truck. I noticed the oil pressure gauge wasn't steady. Shut her down as soon as I dumped the load. By that time Josh got back, and he said he just checked the oil a couple days ago. I told him it was low & he didn't think it was, so I pulled the stick & not even touching! Another 10 minute break for Dad! The 3208 Cat engine has a leak, and gotta keep a close eye on that oil level. This winter the truck needs a new throwout bearing, and this leak stopped, plus it has fuel issues somewhere again. Getting air in the lines again.
I'll tell ya guys....I'm wrung plumb out today! I had 10 minutes for lunch & that's all the break I've had in the last 11 hours. Plus a couple fellas were up here at the house when I climbed back up the hill from dragging the heifer from the gully. They saw the MF1855 w/FEL in the "Farm Show" mag, and wanted to look at it. I had to get back to the heifer, so they said they'd come back "tonight", which to me means at least after normal work hours. Later I came up to get something to eat, as I felt my sugar level dropping....they were back again at around 3:30! I may or may not be online much tonight, as I may conk out in my recliner. But I survived, and so did the heifer! :thumbs:

#267 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like it's time to invest in a 'spare' coil wire! LOL Dang, Daniel, you might want to keep all these posts to write a book in your later years. Always something going on at the "OCH Dairy"!

You know, that may be something to do when I get to retire.....oh but on second thought, retirement for me may mean a grave, so it would be a little late to write a book huh! :smilewink: Busy as it's been of late, it hasn't been crazy....but today has made up for that!
And Kenny....gonna go buy a complete new set of wires as soon as I can get into town! :thumbs:

#268 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 04:01 PM

I guess all the posts I had in the old site version's "Blog" section are lost. I had quite a few stories of my farm events there. :(

#269 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Get a couple extras while your at it. From the sounds of things, you'll use them!

#270 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 04:04 PM

I guess all the posts I had in the old site version's "Blog" section are lost. I had quite a few stories of my farm events there. :(

Maybe George has a backup hidden away!