8698 replies to this topic

#2566 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:53 PM

Well now, wasn't the hydraulics on the tractor.  I swapped the hoses to the other circuit which I knew was working, and the door's cylinder still wouldn't move.  I took the cylinder off the wagon & into the shop.  The ram was stuck solid.  The cylinder seal cap's retaining clip was broken, making it impossible to get the cylinder apart.  But as I was working things trying, the ram suddenly wasn't locked.  I had tried prying, hammering on a pin through the clevis, and nothing worked, then it more or less comes loose almost on it's own.  There must have been something lodged between the cylinder wall & the piston, but all I know is it now works fine.  I manually worked the ram in & out many times as fast as I could, hoping whatever the foreign object was, that it got blown out.  Didn't see anything though.  Anyway, it's back on the wagon & working perfectly.

Let momma cow out, then moved the calf to a pen.  Calf is kind of weak, so it'll need some TLC.  Then I got my Massey 1655 diesel out & used the loader to place several molasses lick tubs in the concrete silage feeders.  Then I figured the garden was dry enough to spread out the huge compost pile.  Almost finished when Teresa hollered dinner time.  So I'll go finish that in a few minutes.  

Turns out not too bad a day so far.  

Is it possible that some water got in somewhere and froze to cause this issue?  

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2567 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Is it possible that some water got in somewhere and froze to cause this issue?  

Nope, it's warm here.  Awoke to 44F and now it's 54.  It did this yesterday after temps reached around 50.

• HowardsMF155 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2568 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Daniel, I hate mysteries like that cylinder. I always find that the truth of what was going down will become evident at some point. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2569 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Daniel, I hate mysteries like that cylinder. I always find that the truth of what was going down will become evident at some point. 

Yes, I know it'll almost surely return to haunt me.  I have no idea how to remove that clip though, so if it returns to locking, I'll have to take it to a hydraulic shop to see if they can get it out.  That or just buy another cylinder.

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2570 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Isn't that the truth.\!

#2571 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Been in the shop messing with the Jeep.  Fuel pump bleed down test was great....held full pressure for double the 5 minute test time.  Swapped out the TPS, but the 96 parts Jeep's idle compensator won't fit this 98.  Hadn't checked the air filter in a while either, so put in a new one.  Repaired a vacuum leak at the cruise control & generally checked all connections, both electrical & vacuum.

Then it was time for lunch.  Meatloaf, honey roasted red potatoes, and fried sweet corn,......peach cobbler about to come out of the oven!    MMMmmmmm GOOD!

DSC00067.JPG

• Craig., KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 6 others have said thanks

#2572 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Man you are making me want to leave work early and go home to a home cooked meal

#2573 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Milked this morning, then had some shop time with Hogzilla (one of my GT's).  Then I had a clogged calf barn drain to unplug, & ice & snow to remove from the farm drives.  Time to feed silage, then a few more minutes in the shop.  

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2574 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hope the drain cooperated. I shoveled the front walk!

• olcowhand said thank you

#2575 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Today I did my usual morning milking, then stole some shop time for Hogzilla's rear pto.  No time to get into any farm related stuff, as I had to soon get cleaned up to take Mom to her Dr appointment.  Roads were still solid snow & ice, and Teresa didn't want to drive on it.  Dropped Teresa & Mom at the Dr office, then went to get some supplies.  Concrete anchors & length of chain to keep cows from pushing molasses tubs out of feeders, bolts for the pto gearbox, belts for pto, 20lbs of 6011 welding rod, and 1 lb of stainless steel rod.  By the time we came home, the roads had been pretty much cleared.  Now for some Hogzilla time, then feeding chores.

• Craig., IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2576 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Good to hear that you're getting some Hogzilla time Daniel.

• olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#2577 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Glad you have some time and the desire to work on your GT's.  You have had so much else on your plate for so long.  :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#2578 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:51 PM

My Grand Cherokee gave Teresa problems at Dad's today.  Cranked & cranked & no run, then finally she started up.  Never does that when I'm in it so I can troubleshoot.  I would have loved to seen if it had spark when it did this.  I went on & picked up the new fuel pump.  Process of elimination unless something completely quits.  No codes still.

• Craig. and trowel have said thanks

#2579 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Daniel try shaking the wiring harness and see if the no crank presents itself. I bought a 90something Crown Vic police interceptor for scrap. It came with the title and would run intermittently. Drove it up on the trailer it died. Got it home it started. Drove it around back roads for 2 days. Went out one morning and no start. Finally I had Steph sit in it and start it and I shook and snatched on the harness.  When I got down close to the battery and shook it the car would die. Turned out that someone had removed the ground wire for some reason and then stuck it back on with the bolt in a hole that had no threads in it and was much bigger than the bolt. IT shocked the fool out of me when I found it. They hole it belonged in was 1/2 inch away.

I paid $100 for it and sold it for 800.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2580 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 05:37 PM

I'll try that maybe tomorrow Willie.  Bone tired now, and my hands are still hurting.  I did get the new fuel pump installed, and the pre-filter sock was off the old pump. So it might have picked up trash that blocked the fuel pump.  There were little bits of plastic in the tank, right where the fuel pump sits.  So the pump needed replacing regardless.  

And it only took me 45 minutes to pull the tank, replace the pump, install the tank, and park it in the shed. I should be getting good at it by now!   Several years ago on my last Cherokee, when I bought the fuel pump, I asked the cost of installation.  $300 back about 6 years......and takes less than an hour!

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 1 other said thanks