• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like a pretty busy day, glad to hear you didn't bury the 362 when it broke thru. That ice can be some real slick stuff . Sounds like the shop is back in order ready to start the repair job on that floor.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2492 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Sounds like a pretty busy day, glad to hear you didn't bury the 362 when it broke thru. That ice can be some real slick stuff . Sounds like the shop is back in order ready to start the repair job on that floor.

When I said ice, it was really just the frozen top layer of mud up near the roll hay ring.  Once through, it was deep thick mud.  I dropped the bale, then it barely backed out of it, pulling around sideways.  Once out, I got back to solid ground, re-speared the bale & got it in the ring from the far side, then got the heck out of there.

And yes, wanting the shop as open & uncluttered as possible before I start on the silage wagon.  I'm sure by the time the repair is finished the shop will be a mess again, but that's the life cycle of a shop.

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#2493 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Feels lots colder than the 4F on mercury, but then the wind chill is -6F.   Water still flowing in the calf barn, so that's good.  MF285 didn't wanna crank this morning, but the jumper cables reached the 2745 next to it....barely!  But she did fire & silage got fed, so all is good.  

Not going to do all that much today, as we got the bulk of things needing attention got taken care of yesterday.  Tomorrow I'm going into town to take the last of the farm tax papers to my CPA, and pay some bills.

• Craig., trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2494 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Soon as I got the milkers on the 1st group of cows this morning, I knew something was wrong.  Vacuum levels were good, but the sound from the vacuum pump was off.  Shut down after I got all that group's milk in the tank, then went to inspect.  One of the 2 belts was off the pulleys.  It looked kinda twisted as when a cord is broken, but I put it back on, and it stayed on for the whole milking.  Called my local auto parts place, and they had a pair of new 7612 Gates belts, so heading to town later to pick them up & get them installed today.  I fed all the silage in the lower end feeders, then blocked them from the free stalls so I can bed the stalls with sawdust today.  Another very busy day ahead.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2495 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hope it's warming some there!

• olcowhand said thank you

#2496 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Picked up the belts and some groceries Dad wanted that specifically had lots of iron content.  Dropped them off, got him caught up on what I've been doing.  He seemed lots better than yesterday.  Got his second TV video feed working, then home to install the new belts.  Took quite a while, as the motor mount bolts had loosened & nothing was aligned right.  Got that squared away, then checked the oil reclaimer.  You put the oil that lubes the vacuum pump in what is a large tank, say 20 gallons that catches the oil from the pump exhaust & acts also as a muffler.  The oil settles to the bottom, then is sucked through a filter, then back to the oil drippers that meter oil to the pump bearings & vanes.  Well, the oil gauge tube was too dirty to see the oil level, so I took the tube out.....muck in the line.  So I ended up having to take the lower fittings out of the tank and flush the tank with a mixture of diesel & gasoline while fishing crap out the lines with a wire.  Got that all cleaned up and working great.  I had placed the bales of compressed sawdust in the stalls this morning with cows locked out.  I helped Josh finish spreading the bales, then ordered $5000+ worth of feed for delivery tomorrow.  Took a pit stop now to grab a bite to eat, as my legs turned to rubber.  I checked my blood sugar & it was a perfect 95, so no idea why my legs fell out from under me.    Anyway, time to go feed silage now, then off the clock if nothing goes wrong.  

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#2497 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Legs were probably voicing their disapproval of all you put them through during a day!

• olcowhand, Alc and trowel have said thanks

#2498 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Good to hear you are getting some time off.  Now lets hope nothing goes wrong. :anvil_drop:

#2499 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Just now finished my 13 hour day.  Before feeding silage, my rock guy brought another 12 ton load of #57 gravel.  I spread about 5 to 6 tons with the Cat loader, as things were getting muddy in places.  YES, it's been thawing LOTS today.   Had mid to upper 40's this afternoon.  No need for a coat or toboggan, but still had my insulated bibs & sweatshirt on, as well as boots (yes Willie, I wear shoes when I work :smilewink: ).  Felt GREAT!

Tomorrow will be little things I'll tend to.  Toilet in parlor needs new float valve & line, may fix a few other tiny water leaks, need to ear tag a few calves & wean a couple.  Other stuff to do, but just can't think of them at the moment.  I need to carry a pocket tablet so I can make lists as they come to me.  

They were calling for a couple inches snow tomorrow, but now they're talking about freezing rain, but whatever.  Saturday morning back down to 12F, but by Wednesday next week they're saying 60F, and Thursday 65F!!!  Roller coaster, but I'll take those temps next week!  :thumbs:

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2500 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:36 PM

I am so excited for the temps next week! Not for the thaw and potential flooding but at least I'll be warm
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2501 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:19 PM

They say by the end of the week we may be in the 70's.  Go figure!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2502 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like a very productive day. It was nice here today too as long as you ignored the dandruff all over the place.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2503 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'm curious how many tons of feed are you expecting tomorrow? and how long will it last?  As always I enjoy the "behind the scenes" stories of your farming operations!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2504 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:45 PM

I'm curious how many tons of feed are you expecting tomorrow? and how long will it last?  As always I enjoy the "behind the scenes" stories of your farming operations!

10 tons of feed for the milk cows, and that will last 11 1/2 days (1,750lbs/day) with 65 cows in the milking string.  The 4 tons of 48% soybean meal will last about 45 to 50 days, as only 100lbs a day goes into the milking string's feed, and the rest into ground calf corn mix.

• Craig., KennyP, pigsitter and 1 other said thanks

#2505 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Never realized a cow ate that much as that's quite a bit of feed consumption per animal per day! What kind of feed conversion do you get in regards to feed intake/milk output? If you're wondering about my questions,I'm trying to get a feel for some differences/similarities between my now gone hog barn days and your dairy experience.

• oldedeeres said thank you