#2356 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:25 AM

When my dad was a niave young man and got his first cows, he actually used insulation to seal up every crack/hole in the barn. My ole Ky bred grandpa told him he was going to kill the cows, they needed air movement in the barn. I lock my goats in the barn for wind protection, but pleny of holes for air movement. 

Man, I feel your pain on the water. Granted, I only now have two buckets to fill morning and night, but I have to truck the water from my house to mom's since her water is undrinkable, even for the animals. Warm weather is fine , I have 2- 55 gal drums on a trailer, but winter, I have to carry 5 gal jugs every day.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2357 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Being I have the block heater on the 1655 now, it's not too bad.  one trip morning, and one trip afternoon will do it.  Luckily, being young calves, they don't drink so much water.  Buckets would be 4 to 5 twice a day, but using these large tubs, I think one tub & one bucket warm water each feeding will do it.

You can see the adapter block for the engine heater.  I was going to machine it to match the shape at the block's point, but said the heck with it & left it a square block.  Function over looks for me in this cold weather.  

DSC00015.JPG DSC00017.JPG DSC00016.JPG

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2358 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:11 AM

BUT, the Jeep is acting up again.  :(   It has died a couple times just after starting, and this time I suspect fuel pump issues. A couple times it took longer cranking to start than normal....classic low fuel pressure.  I'll have to check the pressure when I get to it.  

Can you add a inline pump close to the tank and pull fuel thru the other pump with the OEM pump as a helper?

• Craig. said thank you

#2359 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Can you add a inline pump close to the tank and pull fuel thru the other pump with the OEM pump as a helper?

Maybe, but if it tests bad, then I'll just pull the tank & get it over with.  Fort 3 more days, my pump is $40 off, making it only $70 delivered to my door.  Aftermarket of course.  Last time I had to buy one it was a dealer only item back then (8 years or so ago) and was $315!  

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#2360 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Maybe, but if it tests bad, then I'll just pull the tank & get it over with.  Fort 3 more days, my pump is $40 off, making it only $70 delivered to my door.  Aftermarket of course.  Last time I had to buy one it was a dealer only item back then (8 years or so ago) and was $315!  

I bought one about 10 years ago while we still had our Grand Cherokee and they were $300.00+ then, that's why I was asking about helping it and not having to pull the tank again.

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2361 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:32 AM

With all the stress I've been going through the last few months, things got worse today.  Lost my little "Man Dog" as I call him.  Sammy was a great little friend.... loving, stupid, adorable, aggravating, full of energy, did I say stupid?  But he was my little buddy, no matter what.  He would be in my lap before my butt hit my recliner cushion.

ALWAYS with me or Teresa.  This morning after milking, I was coming round the barn feeding silage, as I let the cows eat what they left last night before putting fresh out.  Teresa was driving my truck returning from taking water to the barn for the calves due to frozen water pipes.  I stopped so Teresa could park, then Sammy darted in front of the truck.  I jumped from my seat & waved/shouted, but it was too late.....the front tire of my truck crushed the back half of my little friend.  Excruciatingly painful to see it happen.  I am man enough to say that I am crying as I type this.  I have had Sammy for over 10 years, likely 12.....forever it seems.  He didn't die immediately, but it was obvious he could not make it out of this.  We carried him to the house and rubbed his little head until he passed.  He loved ear rubs, so he got them till he passed on.  I always said I'd never get so attached to a dog again, but I always break my promise to myself.  It may be the time to keep that promise to myself from here on out.

This pic is of Nubby & Sammy.  Nubby is the black one, Sammy the WaWa dog.  I had to have the vet put Nubby down while in my arms a few years ago due to cancer, now Sammy has left me as well.  Sad day in Ball Hollow.

I may be a bit quiet for a while.

Sammy and Nubby.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 8 others have said thanks

#2362 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Daniel I am SO SORRY to hear this, he was a cool little dog and always stayed close to you 2 when we were visiting, as if to protect you guys. One sweet dog, again I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Teresa can get over this, I know it's got to be killing her right now.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2363 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Daniel, take all the time you need, we are here.

Put down my mother's Tennessee Walker a few years ago, known her my whole life, she was 0 for 40, drop reined, saddled and carted, calm and kindered soul. Slipped on the ice, by the time i got home it was too late, after 2 hours of trying to get her back up i knew and got the .44 and put her down. Nothing like a cow, nothing.

Very, very hard to jump into the grave to unhook the chains, that was 4 years ago and it is still to this day very hard to walk by her stall.

My dog Boy is 8 this past fall, lovable rolly, polly stupid dog, he is my boy, i dread the thought of losing him, while chasing a dambed squirrel across the road ans was almost run over by a women driving a big Chevy.

Have buried a few dogs/cats thus far, never easy,...Daniel, my heart goes out to you, i am very, very sorry about this, you are going through a lot right now.

my prayers are out to you.

Jesse

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2364 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:20 AM

Very sorry to hear this, Daniel. We all get attached to our pets. I have vowed to not get another.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2365 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:35 AM

So sorry Daniel. When I ran over Zoomer I sat out in the yard and cried. No shame.

• olcowhand, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2366 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'm really sorry to hear this Daniel, having had dogs my whole life I can understand your pain and painful it is. The hurt will eventually subside and the good memories will remain. In the meantime, grieve all you need to.

#2367 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:41 AM

So sorry to hear it.
  • olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#2368 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:53 AM

So sorry ,its painful for good pet heck make that a good friend go , I got tears in my eyes writting this

#2369 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Ground is frozen so hard even a pick can't dig.  Wrapped my buddy up, placed him in a container (VERY HARD to do)  & covered him in semi-frozen mulch.  I will give him a proper grave when ground is where I can.  

Jesse, we had an old horse "Reba" several years ago.  Also had an older pony "Sugar".  Sugar passed away & Reba never got over it.  She went down a couple times, but rubbing/loving on her got her up.  The last time she went down, I knew what I had to do & did it.  No, NOTHING like a cow....not even remotely close.  I had to put down a dog I had for many many years that my former sister in law ran over.  His bones on both back legs were exposed.  It was the most humane thing to do, but also the most painful to me to have to do, but it was his pain that needed to stop, not mine. At least I was spared putting Sammy down.  He only lasted a few minutes. 

Man do I miss my Sammy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#2370 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Not eaten anything yet today.  Guess I need to get something down soon.  Just no appetite at all.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks