#2326 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm curious how this January will measure up to history in regards to coldest MONTH. I'm still a young buck but I don't remember ever having such prolonged cold spells.

#2327 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:08 AM

The blizzard of 77/78 was pretty rough, I was just a wee lad. The ohio river froze over both in 76-77 & 77-78 

#2328 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:20 AM

The blizzard of 77/78 was pretty rough, I was just a wee lad. The ohio river froze over both in 76-77 & 77-78 

I remember that era being the coldest in history. Lots of people and livestock died during those blizzards.

#2329 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I remember that era being the coldest in history. Lots of people and livestock died during those blizzards.

Yep ! those were bad, they announced this morning on our radio that they still hold the record cold and snow depths for Ohio.  I came home from the Navy Jan 19th, 1978 to SIX closed airports in Ohio, finally forced down into over 10 feet of snow on runway. I had been in the tropics, luggage was lost, bartered for a coat and rode with police, national guard and ODOT  snowplow drivers, took 7 hours to go 42 miles to see my wife. Honestly it doesn't seem like it could have been 36 years ago. Still got the same wife, but I don't get excited by the challenge of fighting snow anymore. You young bucks need to find a good women and snuggle in, quit worrying about the snow... at least in Ohio it will melt :bounce:  (eventually)

• TheFarm2004, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2330 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yep ! those were bad, they announced this morning on our radio that they still hold the record cold and snow depths for Ohio.  I came home from the Navy Jan 19th, 1978 to SIX closed airports in Ohio, finally forced down into over 10 feet of snow on runway. I had been in the tropics, luggage was lost, bartered for a coat and rode with police, national guard and ODOT  snowplow drivers, took 7 hours to go 42 miles to see my wife. Honestly it doesn't seem like it could have been 36 years ago. Still got the same wife, but I don't get excited by the challenge of fighting snow anymore. You young bucks need to find a good women and snuggle in, quit worrying about the snow... at least in Ohio it will melt :bounce:  (eventually)

My sentiments exactly! :thumbs:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2331 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:03 PM

Yes, I remember it well.  It was a white-out and I had to stay the night in Elizabethtown.  Next morning I made it through a series of huge drifts in my little Vega, only to bottom out on a huge drift about 100 yards from home!  Oh well, at least I just walked to get a tractor to pull it out.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2332 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:41 PM

We had a pretty good blizzard her in 93. Whiteout conditions and about 3 feet of snow in 6 hours. I was driving from Anderson SC to Shelby, NC. When it started to snow I decided I would stop in Greenville and wait it out. I drive right thru Greenville and never saw it.  It took me 6 hours to get to the NC line where I found a motel. I was the first one in I got my pick of rooms. There were 2 motels side by side with a Waffle House next door. Those poor waitresses couldn't leave and no relief could get there for them. They worked 24 hours straight.

The next morning I checked out and the desk clerk said no one had made it out of the parking lot yet and he would hold my room. On my first attempt up the hill in my 72 Bonneville I failed. The next try I backed all the way across the parking lot and go t as much speed as I could get. I spun completely around and hit the road backwards but I got out.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2333 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Dad got his blood work drawn, then we stopped in at Southern States to order our corn seed.  Dad enjoyed that.  Then hauled off the 4 cows to the sale barn, now time to feed afternoon silage.  Been a busy day, but a good one.

• Craig., IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2334 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yes, I remember it well.  It was a white-out and I had to stay the night in Elizabethtown.  Next morning I made it through a series of huge drifts in my little Vega, only to bottom out on a huge drift about 100 yards from home!  Oh well, at least I just walked to get a tractor to pull it out.  

I went to work for the local JD dealer earlier that fall after school ant on Saturdays, anyway I rode a snowmobile to the dealership and spent the next 4 days in a JD 4640 with a 9' wide snow blower on the 3pt opening up county roads for emergency traffic to get Medical, fuel and food/water to folks who needed help. I was one of 6 guys from the dealership helping the County and State Highway Dept's. out. Did the same thing the next winter also during that blizzard. I've never backed up SO MUCH in my life as I did then, and stayed and slept in the cab when we had the chance, they brought us fuel and food to keep us going.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2335 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yes Brian, everyone chipped in during those blizzards.  We broke our road open so our milk truck could get in.  Highway 210, our main road anywhere had drifts in one place that were 20' deep.  The sawmills near us had loaders larger than the state garage had, so they busted the drifts within a few miles of their mill.

And to those that don't know, Brian (TD&H) was raised in Indiana, just in case anyone wondered about blizzards like he spoke of being in Texas! LOL

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#2336 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:52 AM

-2F this morning, but warmed to a spring-like 3F now!  Today will be an easy one.  Just normal chores, and possibly a run to Lowes for some things I need for parlor repairs.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2337 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM

:dancingbanana:  Oh yea, im at 12 degrees right now, spring is here :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2338 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:11 AM

I'm at 20°! Waiting for the flowers to bloom!

• Texas Deere and Horse, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2339 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:02 AM

24 here this morning and already up to 31 now. It's supposed to make 52 today, that will be a nice change. :dancingbanana:

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2340 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:00 PM

-2F this morning, but warmed to a spring-like 3F now!  Today will be an easy one.  Just normal chores, and possibly a run to Lowes for some things I need for parlor repairs.

Amazing we had 10 above, 12 degrees warmer,  quite a few miles north of you....... :D