• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,056 Thanks
  • 28,978 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Glad you got to run the 1855 thru it's paces & the pits are looking near on done.

Are you thinking of putting anything on the plastic? I would think large gravel would work pretty well.

#212 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,841 Thanks
  • 4,012 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:40 PM

A Holstein bull tried to take my dad out back in the mid 70s but it took cancer to do him in. That stuff is just not as forgiving as a bull.

#213 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Cut the hay down for silage yesterday, & chopped it today. 17 acres worth, and didn't make much, but better than nothing. Here's the field after chopping finished today, and the pit with the haylage. The small spot on the left is hay we'll bale in small bales for just weaned calves.

DSC00014.JPG DSC00012.JPG

Soon as we finished the haylage, we switched to our chopper outfitted for corn silage & did 4 loads to make sure all is ready to start chopping in earnest tomorrow.

DSC00013.JPG
  • powerking56 and KennyP have said thanks

#214 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:02 PM

While out with tyhe camera, I took a pic of the cows cooling under the sprinklers. Some will stand under the sprinklers all day, while others will get wet, then head to the fans in the barn. The latter is likely the best for them, but anything to cool is better than nothing in this heat/humidity. You can also see the shade cloth above them. It drops the air temps around 5 to 10 degrees under it. The hotter it is, the more it drops the temps.

DSC00015.JPG DSC00016.JPG
  • KennyP said thank you

#215 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Gotta head out in a few minutes to pick up my old 2 ton C65 Chevy truck loaded with sawdust. Just dried off the sweat, now gotta go back out & soak myself again! Good to have a job though, no matter how hot it is!

#216 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,052 Thanks
  • 7,794 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Tell me about it. I worked through two sets of clothes yesterday.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#217 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 29,612 Thanks
  • 40,563 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Glad you are able to salvage some of those crops, Daniel. I'm also glad you can come in once in a while to cool down some! Happy silage cutting!
Cows seem to be enjoying the shade. You need a couple of them to audition for those milk commercials, get a little more cash flow going!

#218 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:10 PM

As I told about in off topics in the "Dry" thread, we got a gully washer & a half just a while ago. Bad thing is, we were gonna put the plastic sheeting over the haylage in the morning while not so hot. Well, the haylage got 2 1/2" of rain soaking, so not a good thing. We'll leave the plastic off for a day or so to allow some of the moisture to evaporate before covering. No more corn chopping for a couple days, maybe more, as the field we're chopping has hilly sections. If only weo got this kind of rain when we desperately needed it. It's still a great thing, but too late to make a real crop.

#219 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Been using the MF1855's FEL to clean the large open "weaned" calf pens this morning. Stacking the poo/sawdust bedding in a large pile in the garden to compost. Been about an hour, and like another hour getting this 12x50' pen cleaned up. Haul in some fresh sawdust, then it'll be ready for about 8 calves past due to wean. Just been behind on everything, so slow getting this done.
There were 7 calves in this pen this morning, but I dehorned/vaccinated, and graduated them to the next pen which also allows them access to about 2 acres of field.
Try to get some pics later.

#220 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just finished using the "Big Dipper" loader to put in new sawdust, after I finished manure pack removal with the MF1855. I would SO LOVE to have my Yanmar diesel in the 1855, but I just use it so often that I can't do without it during an install! Sorry, but been so busy I didn't take time for pics. Soon feeding/milking time again.

#221 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well today has been interesting. Currently running my home on generator power. We were chopping silage and Dad calls me on cell phone. What I heard was unexpected for sure...... "I broke off the electric pole in the field"!! Dad was chopping around the light pole and thought he cleared it wide enough, but the dump wagon back wheel hit the pole & snapped it off right at the ground! So right now there are 3 bucket trucks & about 8 workers just finishing up the repair. This morning while Dad & Josh started the chopping, I had to rebuild the feedout door on out silage mixer/feed wagon. Good thing I did it this morning while the power was on in the shop. The bottom & sides of the door were worn off to where they fell out of their track, so I used my plasma cutter to slice the bad edges off, then welded in new 3/16" x 2" steel strap. Working like new again! I've also raked hay & teddered hay in another field. Been VERY busy! Soon as the power is back on, I have to mix tonight's silage mix for the cows. The bins & parlor are on another meter, so I'll just wait for them to finish, which should be any time.
Sorry it's been so wild that I didn't get pics of the light pole carnage or my repairs. NEVER a dull moment in Ball Hollow!
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#222 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,842 Thanks
  • 8,615 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:52 PM

I take it that your dad is OK, except maybe his pride. That is good. It still amazes me how many hat's you have to wear in one day just to keep everything up and running. I'm glad you started this thread because it gives me a whole new appreciation of what it is like to be a farmer.

#223 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,056 Thanks
  • 28,978 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Glad to hear everything will be OK again,
Back when Dad was teaching you how to corner with a wagon, did he have a favorite saying?
If you can remember one, make sure you say it to him later, when it might be funny...
My Dad always used to say "Get your butt behind you!" I'm waiting for the day, lemme tell you.

#224 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,226 Thanks
  • 29,985 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:19 PM

At the end of the day, dad was reflecting on how he snapped off the pole. He said "I thought I swung wide enough, but I guess I didn't". I just laughed & said there wasn't much "guess" to that! :rofl2: I don't know why, but even with the crazy day it was today, it never got to me. Guess because I had so much to do that I didn't have time to let it rattle me. Been bloody humid today too!
Just got back from taking Teresa out to dinner after dropping our daughter off with her friends at the county fair. Teresa's reward for putting up for the crazy days here on the farm. Tomorrow is milking, then chopping. Maybe an hour or so chopping after lunch, then it's small square baling & hauling. Not much, just a couple loads, but it'll be hot sweaty work.
Not made up my mind yet, but may go to the garden tractor pull Saturday evening. If I do, there will be pics coming!

#225 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,052 Thanks
  • 7,794 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have a friend who works a family dairy farm close to here. Those guys have to know a little bit of everything to get it all done. I grew up in a farming community in TN and saw ti every day. I am not a farmer- my dad is an electronics Guru - but seeing the things you guys had to know and do everyday is amazing.

I can do a lot of different things, but most farmers could put me to shame.
  • olcowhand said thank you