• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:05 AM

1 below F here, with wind chill of -21F.  Kinda cool.  The MF285 started, but I need to set the timer to come on earlier.  Good thing I checked the block heater timer on the loader after I finished milking.  Freezing rain blew in on the timer & had it locked.  I set it to come on much earlier as well.  Otherwise a decent morning.  Not doing much else today.  May go install new smoke/fire detectors at Mom & Dad's house later on.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2132 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Stay as warm as possible, Daniel! I won't be out much down here either.

#2133 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Good to hear you are feeling a little better and getting things done.

I felt like you this weeked Daniel..... Friday night, I was in garage from 7-11 working on momma's Liberty replacing front end parts as he was gettgin new tires/alignment on Saturday. Temps were 12* outside, I was numb when I came in even though I was in closed garage. Had to get heater light set up for momma goat just in case she kidded today/tomorrow.Of course with goats, you have to make anything new chew proof so had to nail heavy wire mesh around light/cord. Cleaned the pens and then switched my does/bucks around as the pen bucks were in is my kidding pen also. Smacked the buck with the back of a pitch fork across the head, as he gets older, he is wants to butt me, not putting up with that. :shoot2:

Tahoe took to missing real bad, Fireturd doesn't do well in the ice/snow so I need it now. Luckily I have neighbor who has a live scanner, found miss in #2 last night after working ongoat pens. Swapped plug and all seems to be good. :thumbs:

I sure understand having to keep these animals fed and going, they can't do it on their own. I definitely respect/sympathize with you and never being able to stop!!

How many cows do you milk everyday?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2134 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:54 PM

78 cows today, but selling 7 this week if I get around to it.  I just awoke from a 2+hr sleep.  Finally catching breaks.  Sure hope all starts at feeding time, but should, as it warmed all the way to 0-F! 

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2135 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Good to see you getting some what of a break. Hope it continues!

#2136 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Waking in the morning feel better than waking up from a day sleep for sure.  I feel cruddy, but hope I shake off the cobwebs.  Need to go out & put Mom's new smoke detectors up in a bit, then feed silage & call the entire day done.....then go back to sleep.  :D

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2137 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like a good day! Tell Mom Hi! for us!

#2138 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 01:51 PM

How's your dad doing?

#2139 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Glad to hear you got things started this morning!! It was -15 when I got up this morning Wind Chill - 35. My Car Started fine. But Jo's Ford F150 needed a bit of help. Put the charger on with 200 amp boost and got it started.  Then watered the dog I never wanted to babysit and got off to work. Hope they pick her up tonight!!

It has warmed up to -6 now. Boy I hate the cold.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 06, 2014 - 02:31 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2140 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:27 PM

What exactly does feeding the silage mean. I have a picture in my head of you holding a giant spoon out to a pile of grass.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2141 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:42 PM

What exactly does feeding the silage mean. I have a picture in my head of you holding a giant spoon out to a pile of grass.

_wsb_483x332_spfh.jpgcorn_silage2.jpg2932209356_e8e89e8f6b_o.jpgIMG_0233.JPGCattle_eating_corn_silage.jpg

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2142 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Well duuuh do I feel dumb. I was reading it as in he was feeding something to the silage not feeding the silage to something. Ever get one of those things stuck in your head and can't get it turned around the right way?

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2143 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:56 PM

First I start the Masssey 285 which is dedicated to the mixer wagon.  This wagon holds up to 7,000lbs of silage.  I pull it down the hill to the silage pits.  Then I start the Cat 910 wheeled loader to load silage into the weagon.  Right now during the cold weather, I do all the silage loading in the afternoon.  First I load up 5,000lbs of corn silage.  I first feed 800lbs silage to the dry cows, then 700lbs to the bred heifers, next I feed 700lbs to the prebreed age heifers.  Then I take the remainign silage to the supplement bins where I add 40lbs soybean meal, then 900lbs of 21% supplement mix.  I run the wagon during adding the supplement so the 3 20" augers will mix all the ingredients.  Once mixed, I then feed the milk cows.  Once that is fed, I load up the silage for morning feeding of the milking herd.  I only feed milk cows in the morning, but everything in the afternoon. 

The MF285 isd almost impossible to steer with the oil so thick from the cold, so I have to use the brake to aid making turns right now.  Barely got it started this morning & loader gave trouble this afternoon.  So I took the block heater timers off & run them 24/7 for now.

I have two 12 ton bins with supplement in them, and tonight I lost one motor.  It's been growling & gave it up tonight.  I will wait a couple days to replace the motor with a new one when it warms up some.  The other bin has plenty to get me through till I get the other one going again. 

This cold weather sure makes things tough, but so far making it through.  My feet were almost frozen by the time I got feeding done tonight.

• Craig., IamSherwood, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2144 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Yeh, cheaper in the long run to leave it idle overnight, done that before.

Same problem here, bitter.

#2145 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:22 PM

Yeppers on running the diesels 24/7, during this kind of weather we never shut off any of the equipment at the mill. Its at a minus 13 now and going down to a minus 20 tonight with a windchill of -45 cold enough to turn purple in minutes  :( . I heard tomorrow at noon there going to lift the state of emergency. I heard the fine for driving today was $100.oo.

• IamSherwood said thank you