• olcowhand said thank you

#2073 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 913 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:24 PM

I feel for you Uncle, sounds like same thing I had this past Sunday. It hit hard and fast, I was over it in 48hrs. But wanted to die in that time lol. I hope you get over it quickly
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2074 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Managed to finish morning milking, then slept almost 3 hours.  Had to take care of some things, so dressed for cold & went out.  We must have a boss heifer in the lot where the heifer was found upside down in the feeder the other day.  Not so lucky this time, as calf #385 was stone cold dead.  This makes like 4 that have died over the years due to this same type thing.  So another job needing done is to either buy headlocks for the feeders, or use pipe & build head slots so they can't get head butted sideways into the feeders.  One calf saved pays for it all if hand built, a few saved pays for headlocks.  Plus would maker it so much easier to tend meds & such if I had auto headlocks.  Have to see if money comes available for that though.

Right now I am in "lets just survive" mode being sick, so one day at a time.

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2075 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 671 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Rest up, Daniel. I hope you feel better real soon.

#2076 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Fever is coming up rather than going away.  Still just low grade, but not the direction I was hoping to be headed.

• Craig. said thank you

#2077 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,494 Thanks
  • 7,952 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Wow, Daniel, when ti rains it floods doesn't it? If I was closer I would offer to help out, but I am sure having another cripple hobbling around wouldn't be much help.

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2078 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Willie, I fear if I had more help, it might bring more problems to match!  Yes, it's been a nightmare of a year. Problem is, 2014 will begin the same as this year ends.  

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2079 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,494 Thanks
  • 7,952 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Willie, I fear if I had more help, it might bring more problems to match!  Yes, it's been a nightmare of a year. Problem is, 2014 will begin the same as this year ends. 

I excel at causing more problems.

• Craig. said thank you

#2080 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Well, now the submersible pump points control has burned the points to where they won't make contact.  Had to turn city water on until one of us can get to town to get a new switch box.  This usually happens every year or so, and of course would do it again now.  :wallbanging:   Never ending cycle of problems.  This is a small, but with all the large I have to contend with, these smalls sure add up.  If only I could begin to feel better!  I have an appointment with a heart doc, but not until the 17th, and the bad palpitations coupled with whatever bug I have has slowed me to a snail's pace.  Luckily snails eventually get to where they're going.....unless they get squished along the way!

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2081 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hobbled through milking this morning, energy almost non-existent.  Slept 5 hours, then fed afternoon silage & called it a day.  Been on the phone some with Dad, 2 of my sisters, and my niece April & her husband Eddie.  Starting to feel like I'm turning the corner with this flu.  

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2082 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Milked, spoke with Dad, rested a bit, then repaired water lines in the milk parlor, spoke with Dad again.  Then did the silage early, and cut the plastic back off the silage pit.  The wind was whipping the excess plastic, which could have caused the loss of the whole cover with the winds over 30mph.  Wind chill was zero F.  Made my head stop up solid.   Came in, warmed & rested, then got the calf barn doors all secured tight.  My work day is done.

• Craig., twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2083 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,494 Thanks
  • 7,952 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like you did now than enough.

#2084 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Milked, spoke with Dad, rested a bit, then repaired water lines in the milk parlor, spoke with Dad again.  Then did the silage early, and cut the plastic back off the silage pit.  The wind was whipping the excess plastic, which could have caused the loss of the whole cover with the winds over 30mph.  Wind chill was zero F.  Made my head stop up solid.   Came in, warmed & rested, then got the calf barn doors all secured tight.  My work day is done.

I didn't mention it in the above post because I couldn't get the pic off my cell phone, but I had a major challenge when I let my second group of cows in yesterday morning.  I got the pic off just now.  #266 tried forcing herself into the parlor when that side was already full.  She somehow got her front leg through the pipes in the end gate & went down.  I had to quickly milk the cows in front of her as she couldn't get up.  Once I got the cows milked & out, I thought she might be able to get up, but no dice.  I worked for 45 minutes & was completely exhausted and about to give up.  With the door open behind her, it was getting cold, I was shot, and couldn't believe my sorry luck.  She fought my helping her, and wouldn't change her body position, which kept me from getting her leg out.  So I finally just walked towards the door, then stopped for a breather before heading to the shop to get an angle grinder to slice the gate section out.  When I stopped, I looked back & she had changed her position, so I got back there, used my pry rod, and lo & behold I got her leg out.  She still had a lot of trouble getting up, as she messed up that shoulder & beat the other knee up as well, but finally after crawling the length of the parlor floor, she got up & walked out.  I seen she was eating silage afterward, so she will be ok.  I may sell her, as she tries this forcing in crap, and she's not a good milk producer.  I don't need trouble making cows.  Anyway, here she is.

cow.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2085 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,837 Thanks
  • 30,144 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Oh, and I'm getting better each day from the flu I've been battling.  Head is still all stopped up, and tire easier, but I am getting my strength back!  :thumbs:

• powerking56, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks