• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 12:09 PM

You hang in there, Daniel! We don't need you in the hospital too! Prayers for all of you are being said!

• olcowhand, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1952 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 04:18 PM

You need to take care of your self as well.  Need to see that heart doctor to figure out what is going on with you.

• olcowhand, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1953 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 04:32 PM

True to form, getting a simple load of sawdust turned into a stress filled adventure.  My fuel tanks were 1/4 full, but when lower levels, it sometimes gives problems.  Either direction I went was the same mileage to a gas station, so I headed towards the sawmill.  I was at the intersection at the traffic light to turn into the truck stop to top off the tanks when she died.  Normally she'll crank back up with starter fluid, but with where I was & not being able to hear anything for traffic, I couldn't hear if she was trying to fire or not, then the battery gave out.  Had to put the flashers on & walk to the gas station & get a local tow service phone number.  I told them I was a 2 ton, but empty, so they sent a small wrecker & he just towed me the 200' or so into the truck stop lot.  He called his boss to see what to charge for the simple pull, and lo & behold his boss told him not to charge anything!  Finally in a round about way, something went my way!  Then he asked if it would crank with a jump box.  I said it should, but not sure.  He got his box out & he got in the truck to crank it over while I shot the spray to it.  SHE FIRED!   Got both tanks topped off ($200) and on my way.  The mill was only 4 miles on down the road, but I tested whether it would idle as I coasted towards their entrance.  It died!  But just letting out the clutch & I was back in business.  The truck was a bit too tall for the loader to dump into it on flat ground, so he sent me to the loading ramp.  So muddy my truck started sliding sideways.  So he spread some sawdust on the ground & I got up there.  I am so worn down that I barely had the energy to climb on top of the truck to put the tarp on.  Finally got that done & headed home.  I had 6 traffic lights to get through, and try as I did, I couldn't time with the lights & had to stop 3 times, but each time I tested the idle while rolling, and it did fine each time.  So I took my sweet time rolling home, but had one more turn to test me.  When I approached my road, I again tested idle before getting there, and again, all was fine.  Got the sawdust unloaded, and when I'm loading silage, I'll bring the loader up to spread it out.  mighty damp dust, but it'll have as couple days to dry a bit.  Damp dust is better than none!  

Seems I can't do anything without some sort of problem and it's getting old.  Having problems is normal, but not the amount we're having around here.  The truck needs work, both on fuel issue and leaky lift cylinder.  I have to find someone that will deliver a semi load instead of putting myself through all this misery.  Hoping my buddy Chris will fire his mill up asap.  His mill is just 3 or 4 miles away!  I am exhausted.  Feed silage next, then I am d-u-n-n done!

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#1954 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like a very tiring day. Glad you got the cheap tow and jump!

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1955 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Likely I'll get a shower then hit the hay very early.  I am done for the day.  12 1/2 hours in the cold is enough, even without the problems.

• Alc, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1956 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Any day that one thing goes right can be labeled a success.  Count your blessings and get some rest.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1957 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Any day that one thing goes right can be labeled a success.  Count your blessings and get some rest.

Yeah, maybe I just need to look at it that way.  I DID get the vet check completed, and I DID get a load of sawdust into the barn.  And I DID get morning milking/feeding & night feeding completed.  Success! .....I guess

• HDWildBill, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1958 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Just got off the phone with my sister Wanda in the hospital.  She's been having horrible headaches, & sick stomach.  They found a tumor in her brain, but somehow without even a biopsy, they said it's benign & shouldn't be causing any headaches where it's located.  They will do more tests tomorrow to figure out the headaches.  I hope they are right about that tumor!  As of tomorrow I'll have my 2 oldest sisters int he hospital.  Life just hasn't been fair to my family lately.  :(

• KennyP, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1959 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 06:13 PM

We'll add her to the prayer list, Daniel. Here's hoping for good news!

• olcowhand said thank you

#1960 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Last night Teresa started feeling rough, now she's sick.  Not bad sick (yet), but not good either.  I finished cleaning up the parlor this morning so Josh can just stay at home & keep Case with him so we can get a little rest this morning.  I plan on doing only what I have to today so maybe nothing will go wrong.  We're just worn down & need a break.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1961 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Sounds like a good plan!

#1962 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hope I looks up for ya Daniel, sickness and cold along with everything is obviously wearing ya down.

At least we will try to keep your spirits up! :D

Do you have heaters in your watering troughs?

Man, I have to carry 2-5 gal water contaniers then bust ice morning and night,....and I only have 4 goats and few chickens. It's rough in this cold temps. I thought about those heated buckets, but I've heard of way toom any shorting out and catching barns on fire. Plus my goats would probably eat he cords unlessI encase in steel pipe :wallbanging:

I can't imagine what you got through everyday

#1963 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Josh didn't notice the text I sent him & came on down with Case.  Little Case was too happy to see us to turn him away, so no break, but it'll be ok.  

Our water tanks flow most of the time to stay full, so unless it gets down really cold, I don't have to use the floating heaters.  The dry cow water is a freeze proof style, but it still freezes when it's really cold, so we have to take hot water to thaw it out.

#1964 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Take it easy today the best you can.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#1965 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:39 AM

I sure hope they figure out what is going on with your sister and she gets well soon.  It is amazing what they can do now a days and being able to scan and find a  tumor and tell if it is benign  with out a biopsy it remarkable.  Looks like the Star Trek generation is coming to real life.

Try and take some time to rest up and get some of your strength back, and have a great time with Case.