• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Your thoughts & prayers have come through for me my friends! Monday afternoon, when I just got sprinkles at my house, I thought that was all we got. The fields behind my son's house got a decent rain, but I didn't know it had. These were the fields in the worst shape. Ears were puny at best, and the stalks were firing up bad on the lower 1/3. I've not looked at the field since over the weekend, as it just depressed me to look at it. My feed rep came this morning, and when we drove back into the fields away from the road frontage, we were both shocked to find the corn had gotten a good drink and had rebounded dramatically. Now the tonnage of silage will still be lower...much lower than normal, but there WILL be decent ears of grain in the silage. The stressed stalks DO show high nitrites, but only about 20 to 25% tops are in stress at this time. The decent & good stalks have NO high nitrates at all. The silage fermenting process takes out as much as 50% of all nitrates, so we may not have to add the expensive ingredients to offset any nitrates. And from what we've seen today, we should at least have enough grain after the silage pits are full to grind feed for our young stock calves. IF we do not get another drop of rain, he recommended we hold off chopping for 2 more weeks. If we do get some decent rains, we may go a week or 2 into August before chopping. Just a little rain makes all the difference!
I wish I had gone up to the fields Monday & found that it had gotten the rain. The one field that runs down closest to my home is still dry & doesn't appear to have gotten any more than a sprinkle, but I can take that much crop loss.
THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!!!!! Thanks for the prayers to this point. Not going to be the best of years still, but not what I had feared just a few days ago! We WILL survive! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:
  • caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#182 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Good news at last! If your going to farm you gotta have faith.

Hopefully you'll get the rain you need on all the land and end up with passable year.

Mike
  • olcowhand said thank you

#183 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Good news at last! If your going to farm you gotta have faith.

Hopefully you'll get the rain you need on all the land and end up with passable year.

Mike

Yes Mike, I kinda let myself get dragged into the pits a bit the last few weeks, but we all get to low points now & then. I think the intense heat was wearing on me physically to the point it brought me down mentally as well. I have to make it through this weekend, then temps are supposed to be closer to normal again. 60% rain chances Sunday evening & Monday. If we get just one good rain, we'll pull off a fair year. I'll take fair over dismal anytime! At this point, even if we don't get another drop of rain before chopping, we'll pull through. Been farming all my almost 54 years, and this is the 2nd or 3rd worst of all those years, but we'll make it!

#184 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Temps is 102 right now, and looking up over the one field stressed the most, I can see the ground between the rows again. The intense heat sure rolls it up BAD in the heat of the day, but it recovers somewhat overnight. One more day of the worst heat ever coming tomorrow. 107 is the forecast, which will tie the all time hottest day EVER in this area on that date. Sunday night through Tuesday brings our best chances of rain in over a month. The corn will suffer terribly tomorrow, but if we get more rain Monday, that would be wonderful. Then the normal temps will return & heal things.

#185 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm pulling for you here Daniel. Glad to hear you got a bit of relief. That heat must be brutal!

#186 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Last night listening to the weather report, when the guy said that the high pressure would move to the west and the jet stream would drop down bringing cooler temps and a higher possibility of rain and it all looked like it was over KY I thought yep that is exactly what Daniel need's.

I'm so glad things are looking up and I do hope you get some more rain to make it better.

#187 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:49 PM

So glad to hear you got some moisture into the corn, will keep praying for more rain, and the cooler temps to move in. I know what you mean about the hot temps taking their toll after a while, getting enough good sleep becomes an issue with me in the heat and my wife can't take a/c
blowing on her.... Hang in there sounds like only another day or 2.

#188 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Daniel, that is good news to hear! I pray more rain comes your way soon. I could use a little here, too. Been a while since we got measurable moisture.

#189 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 05:38 PM

Daniel, That is GREAT news indeed, I am still PRAYING for you and all the other farms that need the rain. I am also glad to know that your spirits have been lifted from seeing the crops are doing better.

#190 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Glad that you got a little good news Dan! I'm still praying that it will all turn around before too long.

#191 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:08 PM

I've not been far from home in a while now, so I've not seen many other farmer's fields for several days. Say the prayers for the other farmers, as my feed rep said our corn fields were the best he's seen so far....bar none! It's gonna be a money losing year no matter what, but I will be ok. Many others will lose their shirts & shoes. Even though I am going to have a rough year or maybe a few, I am fortunate really. I am just so glad I have come out of my funk and my positive attitude is back.
You guys played a big part in it returning! :urock:
  • powerking56 and MH81 have said thanks

#192 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Daniel, glad you had somewhere to vent those negatives. That's what we're all here for, to help any way we can. All your posts here helps all of us to realize what a tough road you travel every day. Other than support and prayer, we can't offer much more help in your situation. But we are here when ever needed!

#193 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Great news, Daniel! God blessed us with a good storm yesterday morning. Good news is the hay and pastures got a drink. Bad news is we had to clean a HUGE white pine off my dad's toolshed. Adjuster hasn't been out yet but it looks to me like a total loss. Fortunately the tractor and quads in side look to be unharmed.

#194 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Great news, Daniel! God blessed us with a good storm yesterday morning. Good news is the hay and pastures got a drink. Bad news is we had to clean a HUGE white pine off my dad's toolshed. Adjuster hasn't been out yet but it looks to me like a total loss. Fortunately the tractor and quads in side look to be unharmed.

Sorry for your shed loss! Hope the adjuster is a good fair man!

#195 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just so you know that we are all pulling for you.
BTW, you were my inspiration today. I was on the delivery truck today and none of the deliveries had air conditioning. Some of the cottages felt 20* hotter than the outdoors because of no air movement. I just kept thinking of you guys down that way... felt cooler then.

We peaked at 97-98 depending on what service, but I'm afraid 10 more degrees would've made me wilt with this humidity.

Where's that "hats off to you" smiley? ;)