• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Wow Daniel, That is one long and terrible day on the farm, sorry it was so rough. I hope can get some rest and have a better day tomorrow.

You don't disconnect the line power when you go on Gen power?

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1892 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Man, that is a rough end to the day. Same thing happened to my uncle the other year. Fried every control board in the house.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1893 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:48 PM

You don't disconnect the line power when you go on Gen power?

OH YES, all main breakers are OFF BEFORE even powering up a generator, no risking a lineman here.  The surge came in on the grid's neutral, which has no disconnect, wired into the house neutral buss.  I've heard of this happening to others, but now this is my second experience with it.  I am at the end of this power line too, and they say that's where a neutral surge hits the hardest.  It apparently took out the breaker that I had the whole house surge protector connected to, plus I had a second whole house surge protector that looks like a 220 breaker, and one leg of it is fried....the little red light is dead.  When a surge comes in on the neutral, it acts like 220 on 110volt stuff.  Going by what I've been told, plus what I've dealt with.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1894 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Isn't your neutral leg tapped to the earth ground?

Are you 3 phase at the barn and on a set down transformer to single phase for the house?

#1895 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 11:04 PM

Isn't your neutral leg tapped to the earth ground?

Are you 3 phase at the barn and on a set down transformer to single phase for the house?

No 3 phase out here.  House & barn on same transformer, but separate meter poles.  All the neutrals are to earth grounds, but that won't stop a major surge.  Teresa heard a LOUD pop when they turned on the power, but she didn't know the power even came back on since we were on the generator.  ALL main breakers were off, only the house neutral connected to the line neutral.  I don't understand why it happens, but it put a whoopin on me this time, due to the timing mostly.  Craig thought I had forgot to throw my mains, but he came in the house with me & saw the main was off.  I am super vigilant about being sure all mains are off BEFORE using a generator.

I saw the neighbor's lights come on, then maybe 10 seconds later Teresa came running from the house telling me about the pop & a foul smell.  The lights all got bright, then dimmed, then returned to normal.  The generator was still powering the house fine when I got there.

• Texas Deere and Horse, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1896 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 11:08 PM

No insurance help no matter what....$1,000 deductible.  :(

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1897 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:05 AM

I got your back

#1898 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:34 AM

It just doesn't seem fair. I hope your day tomorrow is perfect. 

#1899 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:41 AM

This doesn't seem right that your getting voltage back through the neutral , it's beyond me but on Monday  I'll talk to some linemen and bosses  about it.  And I'm not  sure but you might be able  to file a claim with the  power co.  

#1900 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:41 AM

This doesn't seem right that your getting voltage back through the neutral , it's beyond me but on Monday  I'll talk to some linemen and bosses  about it.  And I'm not  sure but you might be able  to file a claim with the  power co.  

Thanks, I would love to know from a pro what is going on.  The kero heater & 2 small electric heaters were more than enough, so if I can't find the parts I need today, then I'll just run the kero heater alone on it's lowest setting.  I am going to direct wire my furnace fan to circulate the heat throughout the house.  But first, I need to make a few calls to locate parts before places close at noon.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1901 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hoe you are able to get things squared away soon and affordably.  Glad everyone is safe and no fire!!

#1902 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:47 AM

The only place within easy driving distance is closed till Monday, so we'll be heating with kero this weekend.  Looking like both the transformer & board are shot.  I will buy both regardless.  The board runs anywhere from $85 to $140, so I'll print out the cheapest, & take with me to the supply house for price leverage.  May not do me any good, but one has to try! I'll put the transformer on first, then if no fire, I'll install the board too.  If my current board is still good, I'll keep the new one as backup.

Massey 285 didn't want to fire up this morning when I went to feed at 5:30.  We have the block heater on a timer to save electricity, but I forgot to set the timer to current time after the power outage.  The shed doesn't get AC when running the house generator as I have the house main off, isolating the house from the shed.  Battery quickly got low from cranking, so plugged in my large battery charger on 40 amp rate, then she fired right up without starting fluid.

Checked every cow close for visual mastitis & isolated 4 cows.  Maybe I can get a handle on this mastitis & stop the deduct from our milk check.  

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#1903 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:04 AM

For some reason when I read about the generator problems I heat the Benny Hill theme song playing.

• Craig. said thank you

#1904 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm happy you at least have back up heat. Could get nasty again before Monday! Thankfully you are not having to deal with daily issues with your Dad right now. Hope he gets some strength built up soon!

#1905 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Intend to go get Dad tomorrow to spend the day at his home with Mom.  That all depends on if we get ice again tomorrow like they are calling for.  If so, then we'll all have to stay wherever we are.  Not worth the risk with icy roads.  

So today has slowed down just a bit.  No parts till Monday, so all I need to do is go get more kerosene for the weekend.  I just finished direct wiring my furnace fan to circulate the heat from the kerosene heater.  I can turn off the fan with a switch in my living room, a vestige from the past where Dad could run the furnace fan to circulate the cold air from the window AC back years ago.  I just put in central air after Teresa & I married.  The switch was still on the wall & wire capped off down at the furnace, so I just had to hook up jumpers.  I don't need the fan running full time though, so I may put a timer on it to cycle on & off.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., Cvans and 2 others have said thanks