• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Today was mostly running errands.  Milked this morning, took a few minutes to tinker with a GT.  Then to Dad's to check on them, plus service their propane fireplace look heater in the converted carport.  Got it going, then went to town to do some banking, get a couple parts, then take Dad some cash to him so he'd have some to pay others when they pick up items for him.  Not sure why he worries about that, as Teresa or I do the most of that anyway.  But guess he feels better with a few bucks in his wallet....I know I do!   Then time for feeding silage.  The Cat loader has an issue with either the key switch, or a wire, as it won't start with the key.  So the last 3 days I've started it by a screwdriver at the small solenoid (it has 2 solenoids).  Little did I know that the alternator current has been cut off too, so this afternoon it wouldn't crank over fast enough.  Rolled my 40 amp charger down there, put it on 40 amp charge for maybe a minute, then hit the 200 amp boost.  She fired right up.  We have a small 4 amp charger that stays inside the battery compartment for brutally cold times, so I just plugged it in for the night.  She'll be charged by morning.  Then I notice the loader is low on fuel, and the MF285 on the wagon is too, so filled both up.  Case is still here, so then I fed the calves for Teresa.  Now I'm in & tired again.   :(

Need to help Teresa get the house in shape for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.   :thumbs:

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1878 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sounds like a busy day!

#1879 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Raining cats & dogs right now.  Finished the milking just as heavy rains got here.  Fortunately I got to the house before it got to be a downpour.  Think I'll clean up on the shop today.  Woke up to 67 degrees, and still 64!  Cows continue to have mastitis, and it's costing us.  Last month we lost $750 due to high somatic cell count deduction.  I know repairing the free stalls would help, but with all that's been going on around here, there's no way I've had time to even get started.  And when it's raining like this, the cows need all the stall area regardless of their condition just to stay out of the weather. Danged if I do, danged if I don't!   

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1880 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:51 AM

How is mastitis picked up by the cows? Is it when the utters lay on the ground? 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1881 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I hear ya Daniel, you no more then start to have things go your way and BOOM your feet get knocked out from under you again.  I know you have had a lot on your plate and hopefully you will catch a break soon.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1882 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 11:37 AM

How is mastitis picked up by the cows? Is it when the utters lay on the ground? 

Yes, environmental, flies, or just general poor health.  It's not general health, as they are fed & cared for well, other than the stalls in bad shape.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1883 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Pouring rain again!  Fed silage just a few minutes ago, and all my clothes are pretty damp.  Tossed them in the dryer for a few minutes.  I had intended to diddle with the Bush Hog HD-12, but it's been a long day & time to just relax.  I got some shop time this morning anyway.  

• Cvans, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1884 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I was going to wait for my nephew Craig to post, but he hasn't yet, so here goes with today's ugly.  First the not ugly, but stressful....  Went to town to get Dad some needed items, as he got moved to rehab at our nursing home today.  Anything dealing with a loved one's health is stressful, but got that tended, and very happy to report Dad is now doing much better.  Now for the ugly.  Got ready to milk, then Josh said we had problems.  The heater hose style engine heater went nuts & melted the heater hoses off it, dumping all the antifreeze.  This slowed my getting milking started, but we got it squared away. (freezing rain out too)  Then Craig came after my 2nd group of cows & we talked while milking.  After 1 group of cows, we put the next group of cow's milkers on....power goes out.  There we are in pitch blackness, milkers falling off cows, cows kicking the milkers, and milk pouring down the drain.  Got milkers out from under cow's feet, then spray them off using flashlight.  Go to hook up the generator to a tractor, and of course had issues with the rusty pto fittings, but get things on finally.  Got power going with the genny and finally get the milking finished.  Get my small generator going to power the house, which is on a different meter pole than the barn.  All is good at this point except I am stressed way out there, and so tired I could cry.  Then just after getting things smoothing out, the line power comes back on.  My generators have no connection to the grid except for the ground line.  Well, when they kicked the power on, it caused a massive surge coming in on the neutral, and burned out my furnace control panel & transformer.  I now have no heat except a couple of electric heaters.  The surge also took out the digital panel on our cook stove, and blew the "whole house" surge protector.  My son is checking to see if he has some kerosene for his large kero heater, so if he does, we'll be ok.  Can't get hold of anyone HVAC that has any parts for my brand furnace.  I can smell that the little transformer is fried, and figure it got the board too.  Craig helped get the city water valve turned on so I would have parlor water, and helped with the genny setup too.  He was supposed to make this report for me....he's AWOL! 

• Cvans, HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1885 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:56 PM

When it rains, it pours! Sorry to hear of your troubles, Dan. I wish we were in the same neighborhood so I could help where I could.

#1886 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Good/Bad/&/Ugly Tonight! No funny @ all My wife and I decided to come down to Ky. and visit my folks. While here I wanted to spend time with my favorite Uncle so I walked up to the farm to give Daniel a hand at tonight's milking. I figured he might need a bit of help since I new he had spent the day getting Grandpa squared away at the rehab center, and that Ice storm was rolling in.

When I showed up he'd already started, so I joined in on the fun. I wasn't there 5 min. when the power went out and milk went every where. So with my cell phone LED light and his little flashlight we quickly searched the area for clothes line pins to stop the flow of milk wasting away on the floor, without the vacuum holding the milk in there containers.

Then we proceeded to get the tractor hooked up to the generator. Only problem was everything was parked in front of the MF and generator. IE JD mower, and GT MF FEL. In that cold icy weather the john Deer didn't want to start (no surprise there lol) the GT MF FEL started :thumbs: Got them pulled away Daniel got the big Massy pulled out and lined it up with the generator hopped out looked at me and said its almost on empty, Without thinking I said well lets go fill it up. He handed me my SIGN and said we need power first B4 we can pump the fuel Daaaaaaa. What can I say I was cold and starting to ice over,

My cell went dead at that time so I ran to my wife's van where I remembered she has an emergency flashlight built into the back hatch, got it, and it worked great, then ran back to the Big MF where Daniel was trying to hook up the PTO, but failed, to hard and wouldn't go on so I tried while he ran for a hammer I couldn't get it on any further so I pulled it off as he showed up with grese and a hammer. Sprayed, Hammered, & Cussed, then it went on. I was thinking he should of cussed sooner. Plugged generator in then flipped all breakers so as to not hurt any linemen down the line. WALLA POWER. back to milking parlor to finish milking.

Everything was going smothly till last bunch of cows came in, there was a 6 stalls across that side, but 7 came in and didn't realize it till it was to late. The cow in the middle Popped up on top the rest, I couldn't believe my eyes. She tried to come back down between cows but got her hooves caught up over the far bars and nothing Daniel or I could do sept Milk the first cow quickly and let it out giving room for the middle cow to drop back down, but her legs got tangled on the bars, but with a little finesse from Daniel and she came down with little to no harm. We finished up milking then went to the house to fire up the little generator so Tresa could have power to the house. As I'm telling Daniel my goodbys we see Tresa running up to us telling Daniel that the power came back on and things in the house was blowing up :firejumper: Daniel was off like a shot. My first thought was that we forgot to through the main breaker, but that wasn't so, it was fine, as we were looking for the problem the there was a BOOM around the breakers, Daniel started shutting off breakers as fast as he could, then started turning them on one at a time till he got to the stove breaker then BOOM!!! OK found the problem lol leave that one off. On that note he was done with my help and he was exhausted. Danie told me wasn't going to blog what happened tonight till after I did because no one would believe him lol. So I came back down to my parents thawed out then posted.... Im ready for bed.

• MH81, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1887 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:08 PM

You didn't need all that. Hope the repairs are simple.

#1888 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yikes! I will have a couple of beers for you.
  • twostep said thank you

#1889 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Craig must not have seen my post above, so he doesn't know my furnace & other stuff was fried by the neutral surge.  I forgot about the cow.  She was in heat & decided to ride the cow in front of her inside the milking parlor.  The whole day has been as stressful as I've seen in some time.  I am exhausted, and milking time comes again in just 7 hours.  Still getting the house heated up now.  Josh brought the kero heater & have it on the back porch burning the smell out before bringing it inside.  I bet that stove control will be 1/2 the cost of a whole new cook stove.  I know the furnace control panel is around $150, then whatever the transformer costs...never had to buy a transformer before.  And that's what I know of at the time, but at least this computer is still working.

Tomorrow I need to get the furnace fixed after milking first, then find a new heater for the Cat loader.  Yes, when it rains it pours....unless it's freezing on the way down!  

Like I said, I am whipped, but still have things to tend to.  Hoping I can get a few hours sleep.  Surely tomorrow will be better.

• Cvans, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1890 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yikes! I will have a couple of beers for you.

Willie.....please take a shot of whiskey in my behalf.  It'll take something stronger than beer, and I can't drink any of the stuff, so you gotta do it for me!  :smilewink:

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks