#1831 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:51 PM

You guys are missing it, while it maybe satisfying putting a slug in the ole girl, money down the tubes, she is still worth some $$$$ going to market!

Daniel, your ears may play a part of the vertigo/dizziness. There are super tiny super sensitive hairs inside a canal inside our ears, they detect imbalance in a nano second then direct our brain to adjust our bodies to compensate. Things like ear infections or high blood pressure can effect them very easily. Just the minute air pressure change when you get over 10 ft high maybe enough to cause the change especially with your previous medical history involving your ears.

You could have the onset of meniere's also.

Won't hurt to ask your doc

( sorry...my 4 yrs of pre-med and EMT training coming out! :D )

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1832 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Cows like that are why they make high powered rifles.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#1833 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:29 PM

No matter what, I can get this one in a trailer.  Once I get it caught in the headlock, I can then back the payloader in to the far side of her, back the trailer to the gate, release her, then push her butt right into it.  She can't fight the payloader & win, that's for sure.  But if there is a sedating drug that is safe for slaughter, then I'll go that route.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1834 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:18 PM

We had a few head of cattle for milk when I was growing up.  In the area we were, they did not use draft animals, farming was either all by hand, or fairly large organizations which were completely mechanized.  So Dad thought that showing the local folks how to use oxen as draft animals was worthwhile.  So Dad bought about 8 or so steers from a friend of ours to train as oxen.  I know they were young, but they were still sort of large animals.  First thing Dad did was braid up some halters, and we would work with those steers, first getting them used to the halter, then leading them around.  I remember one had this wall-eyed crazy look, and it made for the most interesting training.  It fought the halter, fought the leading around, and was just generally wild.  Once we were leading it along an irrigation ditch, and it tried to make a break for the other side.  The guy holding the lead rope let him jump, then sort of jerked at his head in mid-air.  Poor cow got twisted up and landed in the ditch on his side with a great splash, but it shook him up enough that he behaved the rest of the afternoon.  I remember early on, he would fight the halter till he'd fall over.  Dad figured he would either learn or break his neck.

After they would lead individually, Dad made some yokes to put on their necks, then cut the back end off an old pick up truck from the scrap yard.  Put a long wooden pole on it, and it was a trailer for the oxen to pull around.  Put them to work just hauling this and that and got them used to working together.  Dad eventually sold all of them, and a few years later remarked to me that he'd seen the wild one placidly pulling the cart around for the gentleman who bought the pair, and he was pleased with them.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1835 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:43 PM

money down the tubes, she is still worth some $$$$ going to market!

I can understand your concern for the money involved. If Daniel can safely load her that's fine but going to the hospital can be worth a lot of $$$$ also. I have found myself on the ground with two bull's and that is a bad experience. I wouldn't want to see anyone else in that position. Just please play it safe. 

Edited by Cvans, November 13, 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1836 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Marty (Tahoe), I understand completely about wasted money & all, and I will end up loading her one way or another SAFELY that is.  But believe me, if you were standing next to me with that 1,100 pounder at a dead run with her head sideways coming at you like a steam roller, you'd have had no problem with someone dropping her like a stone!  :smilewink:

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#1837 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Marty (Tahoe), I understand completely about wasted money & all, and I will end up loading her one way or another SAFELY that is.  But believe me, if you were standing next to me with that 1,100 pounder at a dead run with her head sideways coming at you like a steam roller, you'd have had no problem with someone dropping her like a stone!  :smilewink:

yea, I agree. I helped my cousin give shots to some new cows he got, they were only 5-600#'rs except the bigger bull. Those even scared me some. I'm not a cow person, give me my 200# goats :D

I had a horse that was a pain like that, didn't bother me to smack her in the nose a few times with a 2x4. Luckily I didn't kill her.

• olcowhand, Cvans and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1838 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 04:59 PM

I had a horse that was a pain like that, didn't bother me to smack her in the nose a few times with a 2x4. Luckily I didn't kill her.

I hear ya, Marty! When my donkey does something stupid, like bite my wife, I clobber him right between the eyes. He steps back, shakes his head, gives me his "Oh, did I do THAT?" look, and all is well with us.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1839 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I hear ya, Marty! When my donkey does something stupid, like bite my wife, I clobber him right between the eyes. He steps back, shakes his head, gives me his "Oh, did I do THAT?" look, and all is well with us.

I had a few in the service I had to do that with. I'd ask them what size 2X do I need to get your attention. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1840 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:49 PM

We used to have a neighbor that had a mean little pinto pony. Dang thing would act nice as sunshine then go nuts and bite you. One day I was out in the field with my 3 year old brother feeding the horses some old apples. The pinto decided he wanted more than his share and tried to bite me. He went for my elbow and I was wearing a denim jacket so he didn't get me and I slapped him. He turned to kick me and I planted a pointed tow cowboy boot as hard as I could in his butt before he could kick. About a week later the neighbor asked if I had seen anything happen to he pinto. I asked why and he said the horse was real nice all of a sudden. I told him what happened and he laughed and said it was a long time coming.

• Sparky, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1841 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 02:42 PM

I had a pony when I was around 12 or 13yrs old that would take off at a dead run, then run under a low hanging tree to rip me off it's back.  He would be running so fast that it was scary to jump off.  Hard to say which might hurt worse, the ground or the tree.  I sold that pony for $15!  And I full disclosed it's attitude too.  Hope it ended up in a bottle of glue!

Not much to report on the farm.  With Dad recovering, we're just keeping the basics done.  Raining most of the day & still will be tonight.  Gotta find out about getting more sawdust this week.  3 more weeks or so & I'll be out.  

• Alc, Sparky, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1842 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 05:55 PM

I had a friend who had a pony that tried that trick. He filled a 5 gallon bucket with cement, put a bent piece of rebar in the cement with a chain attached to the bar and the horses bit.He started off riding with the bucket in his lap.  When the horse made its run he held on tight and dropped the bucket. Only took twice to break the horse.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#1843 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Worked on the farm this weekend.  Moving all the bales and getting them stacked while the weather was still good. About half way thru moving the 200 round bales, I notice something starting to cover the windshield, get out and check things to see what is going on, find a small rubber line that attaches to the injector fuel rail has sprung a leak, squirting desiel everywhere.

Make a mad dash back to the barn to get parts that I don't have on the tractor.

By the time I get there the engine is covered and fuel is running off the tractor like crazy. Put a new hose clamp on the line and finish the job, then have to wash the tractor down from all the dust and fuel stuck everywhere.

We did have fun though, my 2 and 4 yr old grandbabies came out and rode around with me moving bales, they had lots of fun in the BIG tractor. :thumbs:

Edited by victor3ranger, November 18, 2013 - 10:55 AM.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1844 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Was going to work the calves....dehorn, shots, etc, but Dad needed help this morning, so calves are on hold to another day.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1845 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Kinda tuckered out.  Milked this morning, then ran out to Dad's as he needed some help.  Got him squared away, then run to town to get Dad a grab bar & bench seat for his shower.  On the way to town, I stopped by the small sawmill my friend runs to see when he'll start sawing again, as I'm almost out of bedding sawdust.  He's been just logging & selling logs to large mills, and setting back good saw logs for his mill.  Looks like I may get sawdust in another month or so....just in time.

Then to Wally World to get him a couple house robes, and some pajamas.  Got home & time to jump on the MF362 to feed out several hay rolls.  Then Jump on the Big Dipper loader & sawdust the 90 stalls.  Got that done & had to run to the MF285 to feed silage to the cows, and 2 different groups of heifers.  Then load morning's silage into the wagon.  

Next to run out to Dad's & install the shower grab bar & help him into his PJ's.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Sparky, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks