• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Take a look at this link:

http://articles.wash...-bppv-dizziness

Pretty good article on vertigo, and lists a number of 'causes'. Maybe something in it might give you a clue.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1817 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:17 PM

May need to talk to the doc about this. Could have something to do with the blood flow or a slight ear infection messing up you equilibrium.

I second this, Daniel. When I first started taking heart meds, my pressure dropped real low, and I had short spells of dizziness until it leveled out. Be careful, can't afford to lose you!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1818 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:44 PM

About the nutty heifer, try beef cows with calves, they can be much worse.

#1819 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:55 PM

About the nutty heifer, try beef cows with calves, they can be much worse.

This one is flat out dangerous, none could be much worse, and was before ever even getting bred.  That's my mistake, not selling her before now.  

#1820 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:19 PM

One of those cows just about killed my nephew. We were in the barn and I heard something. Turned around and saw the cow coming down the alleyway at a full run with her head down. Didn't have time to shout at Farron who was standing in the way. Just shoved him into the stall across the alley as the cow went by. She hit the sliding door at the end of the barn and it opened up like an over head door and she was gone. If you ever see that look in a cows eyes you will never forget it. 

Edited by Cvans, November 12, 2013 - 11:27 PM.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1821 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,873 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Was her mother a screwball too? I always watch the heifer calves of a "temperamental", stress on the "mental" part, cow. It seems it can run in families, and they're simply not worth the danger of keeping them around. There are lots of good cows out there. Back to the bedding--- lots of the dairy guys up here use sand and find it satisfactory. It is pricy too of course. I bed the beef cows on straw, but it is both available and relatively cheap here, and highly recyclable as fertilizer .
  • Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1822 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Yes Chris, she has those eyes.  She went right into the holding pen with the cows, and I even got the push gate locked to put them under the roof when I got to the last 2 groups.  But then it all changed once she got a clear view of me.  This is the most dangerous animal that has ever set hoof on this farm!  She was trying to ram me through the 2x10's, luckily these are oak.  But being I will be working with Dad's care for several days, I don't have time to get her to market, and frankly my nerves are stretched too thin to deal with her now anyway.  I just turned her back into the back field, and that was scary as well, as the 2x10s back there are treated pine, and she was thinking of coming through them to get at me.  Finally she seen the gate to that field open & reluctantly gave up her challenge.  I could almost drop her & let her rot!  It's been an hour since, and I still feel buzzy like when on a caffeine high just from dealing with her.  Her time is ticking away!

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#1823 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:43 AM

When you take her to market can you sedate her in order to get her in the trailer safely? 

#1824 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Was just talking to Josh & told him I'd call my vet about that very thing.  With the auto-locking headgates, It's not that hard to catch her, but giving her a shot might be another story, as you should see her thrash about when she's in a headlock & you come anywhere near her!  My neighbor however does have one of those air rifles for delivering meds.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1825 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:54 AM

That's what I was thinking, use a rifle and shot her with the med's. 

#1826 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Daniel, stress can effect the Vertigo thing. Stress affects the blood pressure which them in turn can affect the inner ear which controls our balance. I deal with it occassionally. I have to really be careful not to get up too quickly from a squat or right back down I go due to the BP thing. Ever since my inner ear infection in 2001, it's been an issue, something in there must've gotten damaged.

My mom has menieres and deals with it also, she keep saying that's my problem.

I remember when I was about 6-7 back in 70's, dad bought two cows with young bulls on their side. He locked them up in barn until they were around 500-600#'s they never touched a blade of grass, just grain pretty much, some hay. Anyway, the black one was the son of Satan, dad had to feed them with a pitchfork in hand. He took them to slaughter house, told guy to watch the black one. Guy just brushed it off until they ran him through shoot to scale and charged the fence, almost knocking guy off his perch and into pen.

" He will be number one on the chopping block in the morning"

Dad said..."told ya to watch him" .

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#1827 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I was in my 20's when the height/dizzy feelings started.  Started after I almost fell from the eve of a 30' tobacco barn, but not from dizziness, as I never had it back then.  Ever since I get the dizzy feeling if I get over 10' off the ground.  It's worse at times than others, sometimes a rare instance of no height issue at all.

Till I was in my mid 30's, I almost always had a bad ear infection once a year.  Sometimes my pillow would have blood on it from my ear.  One of my eardrums has a hole in it from a severe childhood ear infection.  So I'll speak with my Dr next month to see if my ears might be at least partly at fault.

Leaving in a  few minutes to bring Dad home from the hospital.  My BP stays around 128/78, but during stress moments, I'm sure it shoots up.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#1828 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

That cow would go as fertilizer if it were mine. No cow is worth injury or death. She has it in for you and if you keep her she is just going to get worse. Really hope you can safely get her to the stock yard. 

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1829 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Put a slug in that one Dan!! Or they might be planting you or someone you love dearly!! Life's too short for things like that!! Besides they still make good hamburgers like that...

Edited by skyrydr2, November 13, 2013 - 11:50 AM.

• Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#1830 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:09 PM

We have a steer like that in our upper pasture. Tried to load him to move him to the barn to send him to slaughter, and he would jump the side of the pen back into the pasture, he also threw my dad from the end of a gate when he pushed it open.