8699 replies to this topic

#1786 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Congrats on the new addition to your dairy heard,glad to hear the delivery went fine,I've helped pull a few calves and a colt and it's never been a good thing for either momma or those doing the pulling.

• olcowhand, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1787 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Trick or Treat was put off till tonight due to the foul weather yesterday. My Grandson "Buzz", oh, I mean Case, and my new Granddaughter Gracie. They have had a blast tonight! They need to feed Gracie better, she's nothing but bones! The place on Case's forehead is a big knot he got running into a pew at church. He needs a helmet 24/7!

DSC00026.JPG

when I was about his age I flipped a whole pew over on me when I was at church

#1788 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yes, time has come for me to thin things.  But as I've said before, the Bush Hog tractors & attachments ALL STAY!   Dad is 88, and even if he recovers great from surgery this Tuesday, his time is nearing that he can't work as much, or possibly at all.  So my time for my hobby is going to get cut drastically as I try to do both what he & I did before.  My work load will just increase the older I get unless we give up dairy farming.  

Excuse me, but isn't Josh a part of all this???  In a few years Case will be able to do some chores as well.

#1789 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 12:57 PM

If only life were simple enough to pass down responsibilities to the next generation .

-     Each generation does have to  know their own desires . I was lucky enough to keep the family farm same as

my father did . He gave up milking early , I never tried it .  Hogs better suited me . Getting to meet this group

was gravy on the cake   ( one of dad's specilties ). 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1790 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Too bad those banders don't work on female cats I could use one.

They do...just have to make sure they go around the front end right behind the ears, no kittens in the future..... just sayin :rocker2:  :rolling:  :rolling:

We've lost 2 goat does due to still borns. The one must've had baby die about 3-4 months into pregnancy, I just thought she was just being a tired pregnant mom. By the time I realized she was in real stress, it was two late, lost her.

The other one was a dairy doe, this was her third pregnancy. We think she got pregnant, then got pregnant again 3 weeks later.

When old one was ready, it couldn't be born so it died, then she finally delivered other two a few weeks later, but too late, the first one had already poisoned her.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1791 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Well, guess I got cursed by talking about still born calves.  Last night while milking, a cow I was going to turn dry this morning came into the parlor obviously uncomfortable with discharge out the back end.  Got a arm glove on to examine.  Calf stuck in hips due to not enough dilation.  Got it out easily right there & then.  Easy to see it's been dead a day, maybe 2.  That gets my worries up.  I go out to open a gate after that, then see something in a  free stall.  Go over & find ANOTHER still born.  Both right around 7 months, 2 months early.  Both weigh around 20lbs or so.  Oh crap, now I wondered if I had a disease coming in.  Call my vet early this morning, and he'll need blood from the momma cows to check, but then I tell him that I "think" they were twins from the cow I pulled the one from.  I check every cow & can't find any signs of another abortion.  Then I check my records, and I don't have another cow that should be pregnant in this time frame.  So it was twins, and no alarm now.  Twins often abort.  The one had been dead, the other looked to have died at premature birth.   Could have been a cord got twisted on one, causing it's death, and the toxicity from it causing the premature delivery.  I need to pull a blood sample on her anyway to be sure.  

Then during milking, Teresa has went to town early to get some stuff we need before Dad's surgery tomorrow.  She calls to tell me the inside door handle on our Jeep broke off in her hand.  I have a parts Jeep, so now I have to replace the broken handle, grind feed, pull a blood sample, replace a milk parlor door, change out a battery in the Massey 285,.......and who knows what else.  No sense getting out of sorts though, just makes things harder when ya let it get to you.  

I sure dread the surgery & rest of dad's hospital stay.  If anything can get to me, all this can do it.  

• Craig., HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1792 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Nothing like a full day and a few other things thrown in for good measure! Hope it all goes well!

• olcowhand said thank you

#1793 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Just keep telling yourself "take one thing at a time and this too will pass" . It has gotten me through a lot of troubled waters.

Best wishes to your dad from us also.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1794 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Just one thing at a time.

Hate to hear of the still borns.

Were they heifers or bull babies?

#1795 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Just one thing at a time.

Hate to hear of the still borns.

Were they heifers or bull babies?

One was a bull, but I didn't even check the other one to see.  But if it was a heifer, we didn't lose much, as when twins are bull& heifer, more often than not, the heifer is a "free martin", or in plain terms, can never conceive.  

Got the Jeep handle replaced, & the feed ground!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1796 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Feed unloaded, and the milk parlor door swapped out to a new one.  I built the new door several months ago, but just now getting round to putting it in. The old one was rotted & holding moisture.  Must have weighed 250lbs!  No wonder the rope that opens it via pulleys broke on me the other day!  New one may weigh 80 to 100lbs.

New battery in the Massey 285 too, so I met ALL my goals for the day.   :dancingbanana:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1797 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:56 PM

That's great to hear, Daniel! Hope you get just a bit of 'me' time this evening. You have a lot going on tomorrow!

#1798 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:53 PM

We'll be thinking about ya tomorrow Daniel.  The big part about tomorrow will be the waiting (worst part if you ask me.)  Glad you got everything that needed to be done, done today.

#1799 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Glad you had a good day getting your list completed. You and your Dad will be on my mind all day tomorrow, PRAYING foe the best for all Y'all. 

#1800 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Oh the waiting.....I don't wait well!  Tomorrow will be the longest day no matter how I try to pass the time.  I may end up sleeping in the recliner in his room, then set my cell phone alarm to get me up in time to come home to milk the next morning.  Not sure yet, as if another family member is free to stay the night, I might let them, as I can stay any night I need to.  Others may not be able to stay just any night due to work schedules & such.  Very anxious about the whole surgery deal.

• Craig., IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks