• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:41 PM

The worst part is two-fold.....this year's corn crop HAD been looking to be the best in years till the water dried up. Then the worst part.......we were within a year of paying off all the farm. Now that is a thing of the past. Will take a few good years at least to recover from this. Work your fingers to the bone.....get bony fingers!

#167 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Daniel, I'm just a piker compared to you but I feel your pain. So far we've got just enough rain to keep the hay growing here. The pastures are going to take a beating and overall we may need to sell a few head or buy hay. Keeping you guys in the really hard hit areas in my prayers.

Mike
  • olcowhand said thank you

#168 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 08:43 PM

It's amazing how far & wide the drought areas reach. It's never been this dry in my life, but 1983 was close....very close. All our pasture is cooked, no green except maybe near woodlines, and then the cows keep it picked to the dirt. And the real amazing part is so many places are far dryer than I am! I spoke to my Southern States Coop area manager today, and most of the farmers in his tri-county area are going to lose their shirts. Hopefully we can hold onto our shorts! This is gonna hit everyone in the USA in one form or another before it's over I'm afraid. Hang in there Mike!

#169 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hanging on here! I know that we are not nearly as bad as some places. I've seen where others in KY and places south and west of there are selling stock already. The beef industry was just getting back up after the Mad Cow scares. I have a friend in Ohio that is a huge crop farmer and he said he's pretty scared.

#170 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:27 AM

8 yard load of concrete coming in half an hour. Love messing with concrete on a hot day! :rolleyes: Gonna be 102 today, heat index anywhere from 106 to 110 they say. Least it's not that hot yet.

#171 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Geez, I feel guilty here...We have been getting too much rain here. I will try to blow it your way, Daniel.

#172 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Have fun with working on the farm. I work at a local hog farm that does a bunch of spreading for dairy farmers and himself. In all my years as a farm hand there ain't nothing more smelly than hog manure!
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#173 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:25 AM

We had hogs when I was a kid, pig barn was a mile away from the house, but you could always smell it. I think the only thing worse is Chickens...

#174 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:15 AM

I think the only thing worse is Chickens...

Several year's back I was out riding bicycle's with a buddy of mine. It seemed like everywhere we went they were spreading chicken poop. To this day when I smell Chicken poop I think of him. I guess that will teach me to skip work. :laughingteeth:

#175 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:39 AM

Milking done, concrete all worked in and covered to reflect the sun, and a load of corn ground for the calves. Taking a long lunch break! My head started pounding from getting hot, just as I finished the corn. Put the sprinkler on the sweet corn & came in.

#176 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Oh, and my feed rep called. He's making rounds to all the dairy farms, testing silage corn for nitrites, and moisture levels. lots of dairies have already begun salvage chopping corn fields that are dying. I can look over our rolling fields & see dead zones. Chances of rain several days in the past & still in forecast, but just so spotty they do no real good.

#177 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Daniel, Hang in there my Friend. I am Praying for all you farmers needing the rain to keep the crops producing. It will get better, just keep your spirits up and know a lot of us have you in our thoughts and Prayers.
  • olcowhand, MH81, middleageddeere and 1 other said thanks

#178 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:13 PM

I second that!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#179 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hang in there Daniel. Hope it does not come to that for you. Feed could get quite pricey.
Trying to keep the sweet corn alive up here in the Badger as well. .09 inch of rain here since the first week in June and it was getting dry back then. Our field corn is really starting to stress as well.
Been hauling water with a 2000 gallon tank and flood irrigating the sweet corn that is setting cob and pollinating. Younger corn seems to be holding is own right now but if rain does not come soon I think we will lose most of it.
We seem to be sitting in a 40 mile wide belt with some rain on both sides of us. Some times I can see the rain in the distance but it never makes it here.
  • olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#180 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Ducky, sounds like you live next door to me! I feel for you buddy, I really do. To work so hard & watch it shrivel up is a hard thing to take. Take it we will if we have to though, as that's who we are I guess. Too late to change who we are. Hang in there yourself ducky, maybe things will change for us.
  • MH81 said thank you