UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 03:02 PM

We had a friend over with her small daughter when the bull over in the longhorn pen went into "action". He jumped on 3 cows in a row. He mom turned beat red every time the girl asked what the bull was doing. I told her he was trying to play leap frog but his legs weren't long enough.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1757 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 04:15 PM

We had a friend over with her small daughter when the bull over in the longhorn pen went into "action". He jumped on 3 cows in a row. He mom turned beat red every time the girl asked what the bull was doing. I told her he was trying to play leap frog but his legs weren't long enough.

Good fast thinking answer Willie!  I just tell my grandson Case they're wrestling!  :D

• sacsr, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#1758 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well, thought I'd feed silage, put out some rat bait, then call it a day.  Not meant to be.  Looked across the dry field as I fed out the silage, and a cow calving in distress.  Right end was out, but just one leg, and a leg like Uncle Willie's arm!  I knew that spelled problems.  I thought she might not get up, but as I approached with a rope to put on the calf's leg, she hopped up like a rabbit!  Funny how they go from looking like almost ready to die to bolting away.  Then I seen the fresh heifer I milked this morning was back in the dry field!  The milking cow pasture butts against the dry field, so she hopped the fence.  Got both of them into the barn, no problem.  Got the calving cow into a chute & got a pull chain around the one leg & the head.  The puller got it out, and she is tough for a small cow....stayed on her feet the whole time, and it was a whopper calf!  Bull calf, and stillborn.  Momma is fine though, and that's the most important to me.  Bull calf=$80....momma cow=$1400+, very simple math! 

Now to get a shower, then Teresa & I are driving to the lookout hill in Marion County to look at the Fall colors.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#1759 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Scratch the Fall Colors....on standby for Case.  Josh's wife Terri isn't gonna be home for a while, and Case may not make it through milking without getting too tired & grumpy.   Storms coming through tomorrow evening, I milk Friday till dark, so maybe if the storm doesn't blow all the color away, we should get to go see it Saturday.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1760 victor3ranger ONLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Man, I remember working on a Dairy for a few years.  3 of us milked 425 head twice a day, work NEVER stopped, my house is where we kept the cows that were going to drop calves which was a 90 acre place, seemed as if every single time the weather turned to crap calves would start dropping like crazy.

• sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1761 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Milked this morning, then started batting down the hatches with the windows in the calf barn before the wind & rains hit.  Had to get the newest fresh cow (1st calf) back out of the dry field again!   The cow that calved with help of a calf puller yesterday is fine.  She milked good this morning & looks great.  Went ahead & loaded tonight's feed before rains hit, and found I am about out of feed.  Enough for tonight, but not tomorrow morning.  Was going to order feed today for tomorrow delivery.  Called my feed lady & she said they had a load coming 1/2 way to me today, so she might get it here this afternoon.  I am good for early morning delivery if it doesn't work out.  They can be here before the sun comes up anyway.  Since I already have tonight's feed in the wagon, I raised the loader bucket & sat it on the end of the plastic on the pit we're feeding from so the wind can't lift it & get under the plastic, which would possibly rip the whole thing off.  Now to wait & see what Mother Nature brings.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#1762 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hope the forecast is worse than what you get!!  Are you apt to have issues with larger branches etc coming down on the fence lines?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1763 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Man, I remember working on a Dairy for a few years.  3 of us milked 425 head twice a day, work NEVER stopped, my house is where we kept the cows that were going to drop calves which was a 90 acre place, seemed as if every single time the weather turned to crap calves would start dropping like crazy.

We have always raised beef cows and I personaly have a 3.5 year old jersey cow that I keep for a pet (I don't milk her Ijust leave the calf with her over the winter and then sell it) and I don't know what it is but most calves seem to be born when the weather changes.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1764 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:19 PM

batten down the hatched matey. Hope you don't get too wet.

#1765 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hope the forecast is worse than what you get!!  Are you apt to have issues with larger branches etc coming down on the fence lines?

They are playing it down a bit now.  But just had to hook up the 16' trailer & help Josh retrieve his trampoline that went about 1/8th a mile across our field.  Tore the snot out of it, but it's strapped to the trailer & behind his garage for now.  We were just afraid where it could end up & damaging someone else's property.  I thought for sure he would have anchored it down after ours took out our grain augers a few years back.   Trampolines are just like swimming pools....nothing but work and/or trouble!

Oh, and Burkman Mills delivered the feed today!  Great service!  

• powerking56, KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1766 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:10 AM

No damage to the farmstead, but it did get pretty breezy!  Milked the cows, and going to hook up the cattle trailer. 3 cull cows to go to market.  Then general chores, and milk again tonight.  My day off tomorrow.  May be the last day to really relax for a while being Dad's surgery is Tuesday.  At least 10 days in the hospital, and between the farm work, & tending to Mom & Dad, I will be stretched way past normal limits.  My heart is still acting up as well.  Oh what fun! Could be worse, and I pray it doesn't get that way.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1767 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have a question.

I've never been around farming much, other than bailing some hay as a teenager for the local guy.

What percentage of Calves are born naturally with no complication?  As in you walk up and there is an extra cow? 

How many are still born? Any indication of this in the momma cow before birth?

I don't religiously read this thread, but when I check it you seem to be assisting a birth.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1768 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'd es

I have a question.

I've never been around farming much, other than bailing some hay as a teenager for the local guy.

What percentage of Calves are born naturally with no complication?  As in you walk up and there is an extra cow? 

How many are still born? Any indication of this in the momma cow before birth?

I don't religiously read this thread, but when I check it you seem to be assisting a birth.

I'd estimate 5% need assistance, with the rest doing it all on their own.  Some years it can double that.  On stillborn, there are usually no indicators ahead of time to where you can do anything, but a couple days ahead of calving, it's easy enough top see the momma doesn't feel very good.  That due to toxicity inside from the dead calf.  

The calf I pulled isn't exactly the definition of stillborn, as it would have been fine had the delivery went well.  My definition of stillborn is a calf that was dead before delivery even began.  We would likely average only 1 to 2 stillborns per year out of 100 deliveries.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#1769 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Oh, just got back from an uneventful trip to the cattle market.  Uneventful is always good when hauling cattle.

• powerking56, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#1770 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'd es

I'd estimate 5% need assistance, with the rest doing it all on their own.  Some years it can double that.  On stillborn, there are usually no indicators ahead of time to where you can do anything, but a couple days ahead of calving, it's easy enough top see the momma doesn't feel very good.  That due to toxicity inside from the dead calf.  

The calf I pulled isn't exactly the definition of stillborn, as it would have been fine had the delivery went well.  My definition of stillborn is a calf that was dead before delivery even began.  We would likely average only 1 to 2 stillborns per year out of 100 deliveries.

Thanks for the information!  I don't know anything about cows other than I like milk, and steaks...

• HDWildBill said thank you