• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Shouldn't have read this before breakfast........ :thumbs: Got to try it out now for sure.

You're gonna love it Peter!  

#1742 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Boy, Apples and pears fried are the best. We also like making jam with them together, gives it a different taste.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1743 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Not the start of a good day.  I have been 2 weeks wanting to get the large heifers separated & down to the back field with the bull.  EVERY single day I am prepared to do so, some kind of crap comes up.  Well, today I was all set to separate them after morning milking.  Dad comes back from going to feed silage, and he said the Cat loader won't start.  Solenoid has come loose from the starter & bolts nowhere to be found.  Mom has a Dr appointment this morning, so I tell dad to go on, and I'd get the old Hough loader out after a group or 2 more of cows & get the silage fed.  So I milk 2 more groups, pull the old C65 2 ton truck from in front of the Hough loader.  Go to start the Hough & it won't hit a single lick, not even a hint of firing.  It is terribly foggy, and this shed isn't totally enclosed on the side, and the fog has got the ignition all wet.  I finally called Josh to come finish milking while I deal with this.  I go back to the Cat loader, armed with large pliers & a pry bar.  I got the solenoid pushed over tight to connect the broken copper connector strap to the hot terminal on the small solenoid.  This has a weird starter system, a small outboard solenoid that feeds power to the piggyback starter solenoid.   Then took a screwdriver to cross the small solenoid & starter engaged.   GOT HER FIRED UP!  Silage is fed, and Cat is in the shop for repairs.  I'll spend most if not all day on this starter.  We took it a while back to a "so called" starter repair shop.  It's been trouble ever since.  First the end cap fell off, now  the solenoid.  I guess they never tightened anything, and we never thought to double check them.  Plus the starter hasn't seemed as strong since they worked on it.  I'll take it off, which is extremely difficult due to an almost inaccessible lower starter mount bolt, then go through the entire starter.  Getting this bolt back in tests one's Christianity! 

So no getting the heifers in with the bull today!  If it takes much longer, ALL the heifers will be large enough to breed.  Losing money every day the large one's don't get bred.  :wallbanging:

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#1744 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I hate it when  plan falls apart. Fortunately I have a great starter shop. Unfortunately is it about 25 miles away. But I don't trust anyone else.

#1745 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Daniel, Dad's one combine had a bolt like that. We switched to a stud and nut. Made it a lot easier in our situation.
  • sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1746 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Starter is out & I've gone through it.  I don't think this guy did much of anything except to leave bolts half tight.  The lands between commutators were all filled in, brushes don't look that new (but he may have replaced them...been a while).  But the thrust washers, 2 of them, were NOT replaced.  One was in pieces, only held in because of a recess where they fit, and the other so thin you could read a newspaper through it.  In a "rebuild", they would be replaced.  Oh well, it'll be in decent shape when I finish.  Gotta get back out to put the starter back in.  

Now for the BAD news about the Cat loader.  When finishing the last silage pit filling, I had an oil leak when going uphill.  Never could tell for sure where it was coming from.  Well, I know now.  When I took the starter out, the drive end was covered with trans oil, so the torque converter is either leaking itself, or the seal is shot.  This will mean pulling the entire engine & doghouse off to get at it.  Major job that I do not look forward to.   :(

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1747 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Ouch that sucks. I have a rear main or back of pan leaking on my Firebird, I feel your pain.

aint' it great to pay for a service, then get half your money's worth. :mad2:

#1748 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hey Dan just sitting out here in the field waiting for the dump cart to come around. I was reading your issue with the cat loader. Double check the service manual some of this heavy equipment does run all wet bell housing. Just don't want to see you do extra work for nothing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#1749 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hey Dan just sitting out here in the field waiting for the dump cart to come around. I was reading your issue with the cat loader. Double check the service manual some of this heavy equipment does run all wet bell housing. Just don't want to see you do extra work for nothing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ducky!  Might be the case, because there was a gasket behind the starter!  Sadly I do not have a service manual, but I may have to buy one.  I can call my local cat dealer to find out if it's a wet housing.

#1750 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 05:46 AM

As a dairy farmer what does the farm subsidies debates that they are talking about in the news affect you , better , worse ? 

#1751 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 09:21 AM

As a dairy farmer what does the farm subsidies debates that they are talking about in the news affect you , better , worse ? 

We never know until they finally sign a bill.  What is bad is how the food stamp program is part of the farm bill.  It should never have been added to the farm bill.   People hear the huge amount of $'s going to the farm bill & hear nothing else, thinking farmers are getting all these billions of dollars.  Nothing could be further from reality.  The media, when a farm bill is being delayed, always start shouting how milk will triple in price if a bill isn't passed in time, but that will never happen, so no, we won't be getting any windfall.  Milk prices need to come up 30 to 50% to keep dairy farmers in the business though.  

• Alc, EricR and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1752 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ducky, I had to ask Dad this morning about whether there was oil previously on the starter drive as we've had this starter out at least twice before, and I remembered it as being dry.  Dad also said there has never been oil there before, so it must be the converter seal at fault.

Breeding age heifers ARE penned up in the barn.  They will be moved down to the field with the bull after lunch!  Finally!!  :thumbs:

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#1753 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 11:17 AM

You will have one excited, but tired old bull hahaha.

What is the ovulation like for the cows? I know goats are an induced ovulation from the pheromones of the buck, then it's 21 days to begn in heat. Our breeder never charged us stud fee cause she said she never say our doe go into heat. She must've missed it cause 2 month in and she is getting a belly!

#1754 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Cows cycle into heat without any outside stimulation.  Their heat cycle is 15 to 21 days.  Dairy cows can be brought into heat with injections of prostaglandin & GNRH, but we only use them when they are having cycling problems.  

There are 12 heifers to turn in with the young bull, so yep, he'll be losing some weight....but he'll have a smile on his face! 

• KennyP, HDWildBill, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#1755 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Heifers are in the back field...mission finally accomplished!  :dancingbanana:   Also got a lot of things put away before the heavy rains & wind expected tomorrow afternoon & evening.

Used the FEL on the Massey 1655D to clean up some old silage Josh scooped out of the feeders, and also used it to put the rest of the #4 rock into one of Teresa's flower gardens.    Now to feed silage & the day is done besides more putting stuff away.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks