• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:55 AM

I'm here giving support any way I can, Daniel! Can't say more than what has already been posted!

#1727 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:47 AM

One of the best things I can do is do my best to keep the farm work caught up & running smooth.  That way he won't worry so much.  But then that's a 2 edge sword in itself, as I don't want him to feel he's not needed either, which is so FAR from the truth!  It's gonna be hard to keep things smooth while all this is going on, but we'll make it.  Not likely to get a whole lot of help from my siblings though, and is understandable for sure.  One sister has multiple sclerosis, 2 sisters are undergoing chemo for colon cancer, and another sister (baumbaum's mom) has a lot of health issues as well.  My sister Elaine has good health & will help as much as her work schedule will allow.  My 2 brothers will help what they can, but just 5 days into Dad's hospital stay & my oldest brother will have his daughter in the hospital undergoing surgery as well!  

It is what it is, and all we can do is our best.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#1728 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:23 AM

We will keep your Dad and your family in our thoughts and prayer Daniel.  Let us know if you need anything.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1729 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Definitely in our prayers here, Daniel. Hope all goes well! 

#1730 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hang in there Daniel.

#1731 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Let us know if you need anything.

Oh Bill.....don't open that door!  :rolling:

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1732 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Oh Bill.....don't open that door!  :rolling:

Too late, it has been opened for a while now by several of us, that's what we are here for!!

#1733 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Had a very interesting milking this morning.  One old cow, #20 is a mean kicker.  IF she comes in the parlor as lead cow, then she lets me put a kicker on her...no problem, milks fine.  This morning she comes in 4th of 6 cows.  I tried to stop her, but she was coming in no matter what. I put the kicker on her with only a couple mild kicks.  Well, got all 6 milkers on, then she starts bending down.  I put the kicker on loose so she wouldn't do this, but she was bound & determined to ruin the start of the day.  She ends up going to the floor, then the way she was pushing against the cow in front of her, caused that cow to go down also, and in turn, the next cow in front of that one!  Da#@!  3 cows on the floor!  So took off the remaining 3 cow's milker units, then run out & set up the gates to put these cows right back into the holding pen, then rushed in to open the gate.    They got up easily & I ushered them back around to try this again!  Next time I made SURE she came in 1st.  Milked her without issue this time.  I would sell this old biddy in a heartbeat, but she gives over 80lbs of milk a day!  The 4 regular kicking cows I have all are giving 75+lbs per day, so right now I have to keep them.

The rest of the day was spent at the local school auction.  Usually I buy a lot of stuff we can use on the farm, but their stuff was very light, maybe 20% what they normally sell.  Did get my daughter a desk for her apartment to do her college studies on, and one for Teresa.  Bought an old 3pt lift spray rig, minus pump, and tank has a bust in it, but the spray boom is good.  I also bought a John Deere LX173 for $110.  Knew the engine turned too darned easy by hand, and turns out it must have a tossed rod, or the cap came loose.  No cracks in the block, so may be able to be fixed.  If not, I'll part it out, keeping what I may need for projects.  Plastic hood is near mint condition, so it's worth more than what I paid by itself.  Also bought a metal cabinet for my son, easel desk for Grandson Case, and a couple tables.

Cold windy day of mostly standing around sure wears ya down.  Came home with a 16' trailer & back of my truck loaded down, fed the cows, and now warming in the house.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1734 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wonder why she has to come in first. That is hilarious. Guess she has her pride.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1735 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Why is it the best producers are always the pains in the butts, dealt with goats like that too.

I bet I know of two JD's that could use that hood.

#1736 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wonder why she has to come in first. That is hilarious. Guess she has her pride.

She is much better if she can see what you are doing.  She sometimes does fine back in the pack (if you carefully lay a hand on her upper leg to let her know you're there), but she sometimes still makes trouble back there.  Up front, she can't wedge herself past her spot, as she's up against a steel gate.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1737 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Got coolant changed in the two Massey 2745's today.  One of them had a flat battery.  Battery was bought in July.  I went to start it in a hurry, so not sure if key was left on or not, but it's already went flat a couple times, and I know the key wasn't on those times.  I put my big charger on it at 40 amps, so got it fired up to circulate the new coolant.  Now I have a 2 amp charge on it.  Once it's fully charged, I'll leave it sit for a week or so. If it's down again, it's a bad battery, and I've been getting a lot of bad batteries from TSC...Traveler brand.  I have the positive cable off to insure there's nothing bleeding off current like with bad alternator diodes.  Doing a visual, there is not even a tiny spark when I touch the cable to the battery post.  LARGE front tire on one 2745 keeps going down slow, so took the wheel assembly to the shop & suds tested it...leaking bead.  Turns out it had dirt/grass wedged under the bead.  Dang are these fronts heavy!  All I could do to put it upon the changer.  Somewhere over 200lbs, and kinda awkward being so large.  Tire sealing now.

Got these 2 tractors squared away, then picked some pears off the tree before tonight's freeze.  Teresa is gonna freeze some.  Cows fed silage, and I am beat.  Been cold & windy all day, and that saps the energy.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1738 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Take some of those pears and fry them up in butter and sugar. YUMMMMMMMMM

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1739 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Take some of those pears and fry them up in butter and sugar. YUMMMMMMMMM

Yep, that's what we've been doing for weeks now.  Buying some apples from neighbor's orchard & putting apples & pears together before frying....DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1740 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:47 AM

Yep, that's what we've been doing for weeks now.  Buying some apples from neighbor's orchard & putting apples & pears together before frying....DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shouldn't have read this before breakfast........ :thumbs: Got to try it out now for sure.