SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,078 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Isn't that what Son's are for?  :rolling:

My wife gets mad when I say that, but oddly enough, my son doesn't!

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1712 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yep, it's a "right of passage"!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1713 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Just once a year we have to raise it, so really not that big a deal to hand crank it.  Next Year I'll prevent back strain the smart way........have Josh do it!  :rolling:

Yep, it's a "right of passage"!

:( That's what my Dad thinks also. I just wish my Son was here to take over. :thumbs:

• KennyP, HDWildBill and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#1714 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 01:20 PM

It wqas nice top have Jared here this summer to do that stuff. I can't wait till Heath is big enough.
  • KennyP said thank you

#1715 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Spent most of the day getting brakes working on the Honda 4-Trax.  Bearings not arrived & not even reached Ky yet.  Ebay seller didn't do right by me on getting them shipped fast, and I paid extra for it.  His feedback will reflect it if he doesn't refund the extra $'s.

Had to put a new slave cylinder on one front backer plate & new brake shoes/hardware.  Rear brakes were way out of whack, but have them to where I can get more life from them.  Rear brakes will need lots new parts next time brakes need attention.

Sure miss the 4 wheeler.  It gets used EVERY day till it breaks.  It's a 2004 model, and sure has been reliable.  Only things done to it have been new tires, and brake work a couple times, besides normal oil/filter changes.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1716 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 03:41 PM

You don't realize how handy they are til they break down. We have a couple pieces of equipment that is that way for us here. Usually for us it's a forklift in the plant and when one goes down, they get my lift from the shop. Boy that will get your attention when it's out of the shop, almost like you can't get anything done.

The seller needs to have a unfavorable mark for not doing what they said they would do.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1717 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Got the 4 wheeler rolling yesterday, and the farm shop straightened up.  Milked this morning, then ground calf feed.   Took a late lunch.   Got 90 stalls to sawdust in a little while.

#1718 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Glad to hear you got the horse back under you.

#1719 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just before lunch, I went to dad's to take off his electric PTO clutch from his old Swisher zero-turn.  He was sure it was pulling so many amps that his anti-diesel solenoid was killing his engine when he flipped on the clutch.  I told him it was likely a safety switch, but he was sure it wasn't.  Brought the pto clutch home and bench tested it for over an hour & a half.  using a battery charger so I could watch the amps.  3 1/4 amps the entire time, and clutch was only mildly warm.  The coil lamination was perfect also.  So looks like I'll be tracing some wiring.  I kinda feel like it's the pto switch itself.

All the 90 stalls have fresh sawdust now!  

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1720 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:22 PM

BUSY morning!  Milking was a bit more fun being there were a few cows in heat, acting nuts.  Then it was vet check morning as well.  Both my vet & I were running late, so I ended up having to go get a cow & calf in on foot, as my 4 wheeler is down for an axle bearing nobody around here carries.  Would happen my back is hurting me today!  New bearing might arrive in the mail tomorrow, Thursday latest.  Vet check is finished, and I feel like I am too.  Not too much I HAVE to do this afternoon, so I'm gonna keep it light.  I just now thought of why my back muscles are so sore....cranking up the grain auger setting it up yesterday morning.  It's a pretty stiff winch cranking the auger up there, and starting out the handle is low to the ground involving a lot of bending while pulling hard on the crank handle.  Takes 100 rounds to raise it to the top of the bin.  Usually I have no idea why I'm sore, but this time I remembered.

Daniel, the elementary schools around here all have retractable basket ball hoops in their multipurpose gyms. They use a Hole Hog or some other slow geared, high torque drill with a square socket to run them up and down. Just a thought.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#1721 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Daniel, the elementary schools around here all have retractable basket ball hoops in their multipurpose gyms. They use a Hole Hog or some other slow geared, high torque drill with a square socket to run them up and down. Just a thought.

I could crank it up with my old Sioux low geared high torque drill, but it's not reversible, but then it cranks down very easy anyway.  Maybe next year I'll get it rigged up.

#1722 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Dad is scheduled for more surgery on November 5th.  Taking out his entire bladder & prostate.  Shocked me when they said he would be in the hospital 10 or 11 days!  Much more invasive than I thought, and scares me, being he'll be 88 years old the day before surgery.  Even if he does well in surgery, he'll go completely bonkers in 2 or 3 days being kept inside.  Gonna be a looong hospital stay, and hard on all involved.  I'll likely spend quite a few nights in the recliner, then head out early to milk the cows.  I can't expect Josh to do it all by himself.   Dad also has to to chemo following surgery, so it's gonna be real hard on him.  We'll also have to help tend helping Mom as well during it all.  I really am scared the toll this can take on both of them, but I think they're tough enough to come through it well.

Dad is afraid now that this will be the end of his days being able to work.  They'd have to cut out more than planned to stop him!  Just hope Dad can keep his thoughts on the positive side.  That is the key to recovery for sure.

• powerking56, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#1723 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Daniel, Stay strong and keep the faith, and We'll keep the PRAYERS heading up Y'all s way for sure. Hope the rest of the family will pick up the needed help with your Mom.

• Fabman, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#1724 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 02:06 AM

We're thinking of you and your family, Daniel. Positive thinking helps and there's lots going your way.

#1725 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:24 AM

Dan, I hope all goes well for your Dad and Mom. From what I've read here in the past, I'm

sure he's a pretty tough dude and will come through it fine, as long as he doesn't go

crazy in there. Give him a future project to think about while he's in there, so he doesn't

think about things that he feels he must be doing now. All the best.

• oldedeeres said thank you