• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:58 PM

You're a full 10 degrees hotter there. Sorry Daniel, hope the winds shift a little and get you some cooler weather and a little water to go with it.

#152 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'll have to check my mercury thermometer to find the true temp, as my electronic thingy is saying 109 right now. I figure 105 or 106. Getting ready to head out the door for feeding/milking chores, and man do I dread it!

#153 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Mercury is 106 in the shade!

#154 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm surprised the shade hangs around when it's that hot. Any hope for a break in the hot and dry?

#155 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm surprised the shade hangs around when it's that hot. Any hope for a break in the hot and dry?

Tomorrow supposed to be 100 to 101, then high 90's the remainder of the week. Got some small rain chances back in the forecast! 20% Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Here's to hoping & praying! If we can get some rain this week, we may pull out a 1/2 decent crop. Some neighbors down the road a couple miles got their corn out earlier than ours, and it's about too late for them already.

#156 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 12:27 PM

They put a 30% chance of rain on us today, but not looking like it's gonna happen. I went to the shop for a while, hoping to get things straightened a bit before it got hot. Started out getting some done, then I was spending 90% of my time sitting in front of the fan, so I came on in. Just don't feel like fighting the heat on my day off, so gonna relax the rest of the day.
I did get some tools put away & the like, but not what I'd liked to have gotten accomplished.

#157 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 12:51 PM

With this heat, it's good to just rest inside a day every once in a while, it allows you to recharge your body. :thumbs:

Still PRAYING for rain and cooler temps. up your way Daniel..
  • olcowhand said thank you

#158 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Everyone needs a day to recharge. Relax all you can, Daniel! Enjoy the AC, take a nap, or whatever.

#159 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sunday is the day of rest. You've earned it so do it while you can. :thumbs:
Burning the candle at both end will just get you a permanent piece of ground.

#160 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Milked this morning, then sawdust bedded 64 free stalls. May put a couple sheets of siding on after dinner, so I can put the top set of shutters on. Teresa loves the shutters, so I want to get them hung asap. James, our logger neighbor may go get the last 30 blocks today that we need to finish our 2nd silage pit. We were going to go ahead &* start stockpiling the 120 more block we need for the 3rd pit, but economics (reads "broke") means we have to wait at least till this Fall, and that's only if things turn around a lot. We're not going to pour a new floor in this pit this year either, as that is another $7,000. When things get better, then maybe a new floor, but for now we have to survive......which we will. :thumbs:

#161 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thought I'd update the silage pit work. On the upper end of this pit, the ground has eroded away, as it's a wet zone (not this year!). So we've laid a row of blocks cross-ways, and we will be pouring a ramp for the payloader to enter. When filling the pits, we start out backing into the pit from the open end. Then once enough silage is there to form a ramp up the upper end, then we back our truck to where this ramp will be, dump the load, then push it in & pack with the loader. Between the loader driving over this edge and natural erosion from rain, this area got so low it was getting hard if not impossible to keep rainwater from entering under the plastic silage cover. Won't be a problem any more!

DSC00013.JPG

Here is a view from the lower end. We still have to finish laying the top run of block on the right.

DSC00016.JPG

Hated to have to remove them, but there was a Maple tree on both these spots at the end of the pits. Gave good shade for breaks, but the roots would eventually damage the pit walls, so I had to dig them out.

DSC00015.JPG

The pit area is starting to look more professional these days with these heavy block. On the far side of the pic, you see wide spaces between some of the blocks. These gaps allow water from the gravel drainage area to escape. On the other pit the end walls indeed ended, but when we get to it, that far wall will be extended into our 3rd silage pit to the right. Both pits will drain excess water through these gaps. So the gaps were needed to be put in now.

DSC00014.JPG

This is the pit we rebuilt last year. I LOVE IT! I used to spend countless hours cleaning the old dirt walls, then piling up all the bad silage & the dirt that would scale off during winter's freeze/thaws. Almost no wasted silage now, and no dirt & rocks in the cow's ration. And NO cleaning the walls. They self-clean. Just scrape the floor now & then to only get 1/2 a bucket.

DSC00017.JPG

#162 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Daniel, that a great looking system you have there. Glad to hear last year's project is working well for you.
sounds like the "Loading Dock" has been a thorn in your side and needing an upgrade for a while. Good for you that problem is now no more.

BTW, Did you get any shifting or settling in the other pit?

#163 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Did you get any shifting or settling in the other pit?

Thanks Alan, and not any bad settling or shifting. In fact, the wall blocks actually tightened up & looked better after a time. They also developed an even better "lean" than we started out with. I had figured it in while stacking that they would settle back a little bit. The bottom runs didn't move a lick!
  • MH81 said thank you

#164 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Glad the new pit is working well. Second one looks great. That will be a nice solid place to dump now with the concrete pad. I like your drainage between the blocks, too. Good idea!

#165 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Scheduled concrete for the unloading pad for Thursday morning. Gotta get it ready, because it's looking like we'll be chopping super early this year in order to salvage what silage we can before the sun bakes it to a crisp. The corn is just about to the point of rain not making a difference, and if we wait too long, the silage will be of little value at all. Depending on the feed analysis of the silage we harvest, we stand to lose between 60 to $100,000.00 (40 Grand of that just in cash grain). I've been trying not to let this all get to me, but it's getting pretty depressing. Yes, I will still have a job, but will I have income? We're going into survival mode now. Sorry for my mood, but this is the "bad & ugly" as in the title of this thread.