• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Tinkering some in my shop till the rain completely quits.  Need to clean up my side shed while it's mostly empty so I can put away the tractors from the show yesterday.  It's that time of year to get things organized better for winter storage.  Also ran the Perkins diesel Brian wants while I did other things.  I need to move the Case 222 of my kin so I can put more Hogs in there.  His gets taken to him soon as I find the time.  I also need to pressure wash the dirt off the JB with the TJD engine.  I'd like this shed just to house the Bush Hogs & my motorcycle, but once all my Hogs are together, this shed won't hold them all anyway, so some will have to go into the open shed.

• Texas Deere and Horse, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1622 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Whew....wasn't fun getting the calves & momma cows in at all.  Not due to it starting to rain again either.  Both cows were in a defensive mode to say the least.  The first wasn't too bad, and she & calf walked up to the barn, so I put them in the trim area for now.  I went to get the last pair, and she was fit to be tied.  Twisting her lower jaw & bellowing like a bull.  She kept turning to face off with me on the 4 wheeler, pulling my calf fetching trailer.  NO WAY was I getting off the 4 wheeler to try to put the calf into the trailer.  She meant business & would have put me 6' under if I'd have tried that.  After a lot of maneuvering & circling about, I finally got them both up between the feeders in the feed alley & just shut the gate behind them to let her settle down.  In a while, I'll get her & calf in with the other pair.  I'll just leave them with their calves for the night.  Both are large 1400lb+ animals, and I don't want to play Russian Roulette with them.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#1623 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,797 Thanks
  • 44,569 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 12:28 PM

That sounds like a very wise move, Daniel. Them old gals can get awful ornery at times.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1624 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Got the nutty  momma inside the barn safely.  Cows fed and heading to milk them now.

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1625 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,378 Thanks
  • 9,738 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 04:08 PM

NO WAY was I getting off the 4 wheeler to try to put the calf into the trailer.  She meant business & would have put me 6' under if I'd have tried that.

I made a pallet with rails around it (2x6's) and then stapled a 16' cattle panel to the side rails so the panel looped out for a buddy. He could just drive out and set the cattle panel around the calf. Hop down to the pallet, throw calf onto pallet, drive to barn. Momma would be 10 feet behind the whole way in.

• olcowhand, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1626 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I thought my one sister would almost be done with her chemo by now, but it turns out all 3....Dad & 2 of my sisters will all be on chemo at the same time.  That's just nuts!

And I've not had heartburn since losing almost 30lbs.  Heartburn fired up again tonight....imagine that!

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1627 Robert Webb ONLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 885 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Daniel, depending on what kind of Chemo he has to have done, it may not be as hard on him.  The Chemo that they will be giving Kimme after her surgery is supposed to be easier on her than the Chemo that she went through with her breast cancer.  I never knew there were diffferent typed of Chemo drugs for different types of Cancer.......i thought that it was ALL treated with the SAME drug but we were informed different with the last visit to the Oncologist.  Have they said how long and how many doses of Chemo that he will have to do?  They told Kimme that she will be doing 3 months worth, with a visit every other week.

Like I told you the other day.............Prayers are flowing BOTH ways............hang in there.

• Texas Deere and Horse, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1628 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Robert, Dad doesn't even know what type chemo yet.  He'll find out more tomorrow I think when he goes to the hospital for the pre-surgical stuff.  He's thinking maybe just a pill type of chemo.

• Alc, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#1629 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Are you going to go with him?  Maybe someone should so you all can get answers to all your questions. I know for me as a patient I tend to for get about the questions because of the anxiety of having to deal with them poking and sticking ya.  So the wife will sit there and drive them crazy with questions.   Even if he doesn't want anyone to go with him, if someone does he'll be happier.

• JRJ said thank you

#1630 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Dad didn't want me to go today, as there's so much to get done.  Sawdusting stalls this morning.  I have 3 cows treated for mastitis & more will likely have to be treated.  imperative to try to keep the stalls as clean as we can to halt this mastitis.  Tomorrow morning I have to collect milk samples from every cow to send to the lab to find out which ones are high on white blood cell count, the indicator for mastitis you can't see.  Higher the count, the worse the infection.  We're gonna get deduction from our milk check soon if we don't get the count down.  Likely take an hour or more longer to milk with taking samples, maybe 2 hours longer.  I dread it.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1631 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,676 Thanks
  • 15,456 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Boy, I hope get a handle on the Mastitis before you start loosing money on the milk. We are still PRAYING for Your Dad also Daniel, Hang in there!!

• JRJ said thank you

#1632 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Man, you can keep those cattle. I helped a cousin give shots to some new young cows he got, they were all only 4-600#'s but what a handful, not to mention the young bull he had too. I will stick to my goats!!!!

Mastitus stinks, my goat breeder has a few does that can no longer milk the babies, they have to be bottle fed. Gues sit sucks for you, money down the drain too.

• JRJ said thank you

#1633 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Got my old 78 C65 2 ton home with a load of sawdust.  Well, most of the load!  My sawmill friend always piles the truck so high (despite my requests) that my roll tarp straps barely or don't reach the ratchets.  I forgot to take extra ratchet straps just in case, and lo & behold, a too high load.  I did manage to get the straps to catch the ratchets, but one let go once I got going down the highway & I saw in the mirror the tarp had lifted some & sawdust in the air.  Luckily slowing down got me off the road without any real problems.  Just 2 miles on the highway.  Next time if he piles it high, I won't move till I get extra straps to insure it stays tight.  I pay $100 per load, so I get more for my money when he piles it, but it's not worth the extra hassle.  Hope he starts sawing more, as the sawdust pile is almost gone.

When I took the empty truck to his mill, the truck started running crappy.  Figuring fuel issue, I took a new inline filter, and sure enough, the old filter was clogged.  Ran good coming home.

• KennyP, twostep and JRJ have said thanks

#1634 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,797 Thanks
  • 44,569 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Do I need to save my sawdust for you? Might get a 5 gallon bucket once a month. I can bring it next plow day!

• HDWildBill and JRJ have said thanks

#1635 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,214 Thanks
  • 30,821 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Do I need to save my sawdust for you? Might get a 5 gallon bucket once a month. I can bring it next plow day!

Why yes sir save it!   :rolling:   That'll be 60 gallons, which should do about 5 stalls!

• KennyP and JRJ have said thanks