#1576 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:34 AM

No guys, I use one of these.  Arthritis makes it tough, but I get the job done!

attachicon.gifmixer.jpg

Got ya covered, hook the mixer to one of these...

http://gardentractor...96127_thumb.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, October 01, 2013 - 08:34 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#1577 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Now take a look at the following pic.  Everything looks pretty normal, right?

DSC00095.JPG

WRONG!  Remember how I just yesterday said 2 smooth days in a row.... yep, always end up paying for those!

DSC00096.JPG

Inner bearing gave out, then the slop busted the outer bearing, allowing the whole assembly to fall off.  Luckily the axle stub was undamaged. 

You can see how hot the bearing race got.  

DSC00098.JPG

The tank was just filled, so had about a 30,000lb load on it.  Good thing I bought this old 10 ton floor jack at an auction a couple years ago.  Cost me $210, and this one job is worth that.  Our Cat 910 payloader can't lift even from the axle stub end but a couple inches, and only from the very bottom of it's lift stroke.  So we finally got it lifted enough to dig out to where the floor jack could get under the tandem beam.  Took well over 2 hours just to get to the point of just getting the jack under it.  I'm telling ya....a good based gravel drive is tough to dig up.  Almost like sledge hammering concrete.

Then we had it made.  This jack is awesome!  No problem at all lifting it.  We have it blocked high enough to put the wheel assembly back on, but can't until morning, as the bearings, races, and seals come to our parts store in the morning early.  Got enough to repair this, and another complete set so we'll be prepared if it happens again.

DSC00099.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1578 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have an old railroad jack that in on my way all the time. However about once or twice a year it comes in handy to lift something that nothing else can handle. It was given to me by a guy who hated it being in his way. I nearly took it to the scrap yard a couple of times. Now I wish I had another. I looked them up on Ebay once and they were selling for $2-300.

#1579 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Well at least it appears to have happened in the barn yard and not out on the road where you had nowhere to go.

I have seen that massive jack and I hope to find one like it some day, it's huge!! I bet it's 4' long and has a 4' handle.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#1580 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well at least it appears to have happened in the barn yard and not out on the road where you had nowhere to go.

I have seen that massive jack and I hope to find one like it some day, it's huge!! I bet it's 4' long and has a 4' handle.

Yep, it's the front poo wagon in the group photo.  Yes, very happy it laid down where it did!  But then if it had happened in the field, we could have just dumped the load right there, drug it out of the crap, then easily raised her.

I'd say the jack is nearly 5' long.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#1581 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Glad you got it to where you can fix it tomorrow! Those old jacks do some good work.

#1582 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Dad's not feeling his best, so I did 1/2 the milking, got Josh to take over, then shot to town for the parts.  Wagon is back in working order and empty!  Gonna take an early lunch, then hit the poo hauling.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#1583 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Daniel, you all need any more milking stalls/ equipment? Dairy farmer up my way sold out, selling 4 stall setup.

#1584 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Daniel, you all need any more milking stalls/ equipment? Dairy farmer up my way sold out, selling 4 stall setup.

I suppose not, but thanks for the heads-up.

#1585 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well at least it was in the yard close to all the equipment :smilewink:  We had just purchased a hay wagon and had that happen in the field ... Full ,,

Dad was not happy... as it was a brand new wagon! But only weighted 8k and the 3 point hitch on the TS125A picked it up like a  rag doll. :beer: 

#1586 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Not my best poop removal season so far.  Had my poo wagon's shaft move out of place today.  Put it back in place, but the bearing retainer won't hold due to the set screw is frozen.  Manure does that to stuff.  So I pulled the power takeoff shaft off the front of the shaft & put a pipe spacer between shaft yoke & front bearing to prevent it shifting to the rear.  That fixed, I return to poop hauling.  Go to fill the tank & the big stopper isn't sealing.  Climb up & spray the area clean with water hose to find the round metal "seat" for the plunger stopper is eaten away so bad, the only thing that's been sealing for a while has been the solids in the manure, but the manure is thin enough it's not stopping things up tight.  So I hosed down the interior of the tank best I could.  Tomorrow morning I will do an easier version of repair instead of spending a few days cutting out bolts & rusty metal.  The plunger is about 8 to 10" diameter and flat, and the sealing edge is just like an engine valve turned upside down.  I have some 1/2" thick reinforced belting.  I will cut a round piece of it 3" larger diameter than the face of the sealing plunger, drill holes in the plunger, then bolt the rubber underneath the plunger.  The 1 1/2" rubber extending outward will more than reach the retreating sealing face of steel, so it will seal just fine.  Likely will last a long time as well, and easy to replace...well, not easy, but better than the alternative.  I'll have to blow air into the tank to purge any methane that might form, but the tank rinsed out pretty well.  But I'm taking no chances.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1587 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Measured the jack today.  With handle straight up, this thing is 5' 8" long!  I going to estimate the weight at a good 250lbs.  I know there's no putting it into a, pickup without at least 2 people.  I recruited some help the day I bought it.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#1588 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Glad you have a plan to fix things and hope all goes accordingly.

#1589 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I know the that jack is a bigun. Glad to hear you have a quick solution to the leaking valve.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#1590 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:04 PM

I know the that jack is a bigun. Glad to hear you have a quick solution to the leaking valve.

All I have to do is take 3 bolts loose, and the whole shaft with the "stopper" comes out of the tank so it'll be easier to install the rubber.  Then readjust the linkage to the cylinder to allow for the thickness of the rubber.  By the time I finish milking, it'll take the rest of the morning to repair.  

Dad has a doc appointment in the morning.  Please say a little prayer for him, as his bladder cancer has returned, and he'll likely have to have the inside of his bladder laser burned again before long.  Doc also said the cancer can be controlled & said something else will end his days on earth before the cancer could.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks