• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well, it's again time to spread the cow poo upon the fields. Started this morning. Had a decent day of hauling, with only a few glitches. Had to charge my tractor's AC at lunch, as things were heating up in the cab. Then later my tractor started surging, so had to back blow the fuel line. One of these days I need to remove & clean that fuel tank of trash. The tractor my son Josh was hauling with developed a problem in the power steering, but turns well enough while moving that we can continue. I need to add some 134A to his AC tomorrow if I get time. I have a regular Dr checkup at noon, then rush back to spread more poo. I would cancel my appointment, but it takes weeks to get one scheduled.
Anyway, as the day of spreading ended, the poo pump's agitator gun was stopped up with trash, so before doing the evening feeding I went to unplug it. Took the clamp off to wiggle the gun tip off the pump and it was snug. kept wiggling, then sure enough, it came on off......dumping about 2 or 3 gallons of nice smelly green stuff right on top of my head! Good thing I had a hat on! My wife has been wanting me to toss some of my holey T-shirts, so I obliged her finally with this one! LOL Took a lot longer shower than usual I'll tell you that!
  • Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 12 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh, the joys of being a diary farmer! Sorry, Daniel! Just seems you have a lot of poop come your way. Either that or your the only one to admit it. Hope tomorrow goes better!
  • olcowhand, Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Daniel, After a long day today and running into my own problems, reading about your day made mine seem like nothing plus you put a smile on my face with the poo gun.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Glad I could help you guys! Seriously though, it was crappy, but kind of funny at the same time! :lol:
I'm just glad I switched from my brandy new straw cowboy style hat to a older worn baseball style hat at lunch!
  • Craig., WNYTractorTinkerer and Huskyfan have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Daniel, that stinks! A poo gun? I was picturing something like a sprayer nozzle until your description of the 2-3 gallons soaking you. Now I have a better idea of the scale of the problem. Well, at least it washes off. Take care Daniel.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Always a fun job!

Having a cab tractor must be nice! We did ours "old school", One neighbor had a loader, the rest had ground driven spreaders. Of course that was 40+ years ago! Loaded plenty by hand fork too. ~~ Lowell
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:02 PM

This is a rep photo of the exact pump we have. I never thought to make sure Dad had pointed the nozzle upward before parking it, to let the manure flow back from the tip. He pulled it out still pointing downward as in the pic. So about 2' of the 6" flex tubing behind the tip was full of the good stuff. I was standing on the lower impeller housing (with the U shaped feet) when I got my green shower.

Posted Image
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:32 PM

That's quite a contraption! Never seen one before. All hydraulically controlled by the looks of the cylinders and lines. More like a Poo cannon than a gun!
  • olcowhand, WNYTractorTinkerer and Huskyfan have said thanks

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I apologize for myrthing at your discomfort Dan, but it's a very 3 stooges image that came to mind... I'm also sorry that your first shower of the day was that one! Hope that the day goes more smoothly tomorrow for you!
  • olcowhand and Huskyfan have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:46 PM

The hydraulic control lever set that you see on the tongue end....they are just sitting there, as you put them up in the tractor cab, or on a fender if using an open tractor. Dad usually loads us, while we spread. In-between loads, you switch the flapper doors the other way, then it shoots the poo through the gun into the pit. You can maneuver the gun to blast crusty or lumpy areas. It'll shoot manure well over 100' if you want it to! The doors flipped the other way sends manure up the top pipe, into another pipe (not in pic) which is on legs, then it has a drop down that directs the manure into the wagon.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:52 PM

I apologize for myrthing at your discomfort Dan, but it's a very 3 stooges image that came to mind... I'm also sorry that your first shower of the day was that one! Hope that the day goes more smoothly tomorrow for you!

Hey, I really don't mind. It was comical (after the initial dumping on me that is), and that's why I wanted to share it with you guys. Plus it always seems to help several of you guys that have had tough days to see the crap I can get into (or onto me)! Actually, it wasn't that bad a day. We got a lot done, and not that hard deal with the problems encountered. As to the 3 stooges, unfortunately, I was the only stooge of the day! LOL
But if this was the worst day I could ever have, I'd be a blessed man! I will say however, that if this had been captured on film, it would be funny as all get out to watch....even for me!

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:16 PM

"Sometimes you spread the poo, and sometimes it gets spread on you"

Sounds like a T shirt...

Daniel, glad you had a productive day... The "shower" was just the good Lord's way of telling you that you had accomplished enough and it was time to take a load off... er, um.. relax.

#13 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Daniel if that had been caught on film you would be on your way to Americas funniest videos. Ah the misfortunes of a dairy farmer, my hats off to you Sir.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Daniel, It sounds like you stepped in it again, my friend. Any of us who have lived and worked on a farm, have had similar experiences. I once fell in our open, ground driven manure spreader full of hog manure. I was trying to pull the back board we put in front of the beater bars to hold back the soup. I lost my balance and head first in I went. Everyone thought it was very funny that day also.

But, you did get a lot of work done, so it was a good day.

#15 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I actually like the smell of cow poo. As long as its fresh.