#1 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:11 PM

I spent two hours at the farm today fixing the road where some @$*-#^ idiot decided to go "mudding"!

HPIM0625 (Custom).JPG

This is a county line road that runs through the middle of the farm. The township that is supposed to take care of it hasn't been on it in more than 5 years. Of course they're perfectly willing to collect the taxes! I do have some help from the adjoining township grader operator, who lives nearby.

The idiot who did this went down the hill in the left ditch until he couldn't move any farther. Then they got a big tractor in to pull it out, doing more damage. Our farm renter & a neighbor told me the other end of the road is worse. I just hope he tore up his vehicle while he was doing the damage! The road doesn't really go anywhere, due to a 50+ year old closure (bridge out), it is just a loop.

I was able to get my end back in reasonable condition today, it now needs a soaking rain & then to dry enough to clean the ditches again.

I did get my first farm finish mowing done today!

HPIM0626 (Custom).JPG

I'll get of my soapbox now! ~~ Lowell

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Make you wonder about some people's upbringing...

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:35 PM

So many people think they entitled to do whatever they want, no matter what, where, or whatever. I too hope he busted his driveline but good!
If you can find out the name of the idiot, you could take him to small claims court for your expenses!

#4 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:41 PM

We did have an "atta-boy moment" several years ago! Our farm renter, who owns adjoining ground had gotten permission from from another owner to winter pasture 30 acres of timber next to ours. This same road was in worse shape then, the 30 plot had no fences, so the renter ran a hot wire along the edge of the road. Worked fine all winter, then the next spring somebody mudded through. I found a lot of cut fence wire wound up in small coils in the area shown in the picture In the mud), 1/2 mile from where the fence was.

The most aggravating thing to me is that these people have NO "need" to be on this road anyway. I understand that it is a "public" road, but it doesn't go anywhere! ~~ Lowell

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:44 PM

You might petition the county to abandon the road and turn it over to you. Even if they feel they need the right of way, you could agree to that, but it would allow you to gate the road.

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Lowell, I can understand you're anger and frustration. I'm also betting you are extremely busy, and have enough on your plate, to get finished and done, but if it doesn't upset you too much by saying this, you could always look at the bright side. You'll have more tractor seat time to do it over again. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart a--, I'm just trying to help you unwind a little. I'd be mad too, and would probably be looking to load the shotgun, just to shoot out a tire if they ever had the guts enough to come back again. But spending a little more time on the Deere isn't so bad either.

Don't let them get the best of you Lowell. Keep your chin up, and know that someday you'll get your revenge!

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:50 PM

There's no doubt that the same person who did that to YOUR road would throw a holy conniption fit if you took a dozer on tracks down HIS street and tore it up! ( I'm assuming that it was a city dweller here). We have kids who come around every couple of years and take ball bats to all the mailboxes in the neighborhood. Same senselessness involved. Glad that you're getting it cleaned up and sorry that you had to.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Same thing happens here and back in the 60's we Bird hunted everywhere and folks Welcomed you, But today you better have Permission to be on any ones Property. All because of folks Running Wild, Cutting Fences and Rutting the land up.

#9 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks guys!

I know this kind of thing goes on everywhere, as MH81 said, it has to do with their "upbringing"-or lack there of!

On tonight's KC news there were reports of damage to vehicles & property on "Kentucky street" in Lawrence, KS, just because KS lost a ball game to Kentucky. These things are inexcusable!!! No respect for others or their property & it seems to be getting worse with every generation!

And yes, I do enjoy working with the little 790 & don't mind the road work. I'm out there by myself (& Chief, of course) and since it's just me, I can do it the way I want to. :dancingbanana: Just the lack of responsibility of others in this world we live in today!

ps- I have been known to drop a tree across that same road during deer season, years ago. The road was in a lot worse condition then. ~~ Lowell

#10 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 01:23 AM

Every year that goes by the more i would like to live my remaining years at least ten miles into the bush in a log cabin...enough said.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:32 AM

It sure does make you wonder about people some times.

#12 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:34 AM

Every year that goes by the more i would like to live my remaining years at least ten miles into the bush in a log cabin...enough said.

I know what you mean. More people around also means more idiots around, unfortunately.