• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 07:43 PM

George those cows are tuned in to any motor they hear running. If it's not a car they just assume whatever is running is coming to feed them! Actually quite often I rake up some of the clipings and toss them over the fence for the cows so the lawn mower is a double whammy on them!

I figured out the starter has the wrong gear on it. Trying to find the correct one now. Or a way to rebuild the original.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:07 PM

Often, the bendix alignment is the major issue. If you're able to loosen both mount bolts and twiddle with it some, you can get them to behave. I had to put thin spacers under one of them to get the desired effect.

I see you said it's the wrong gear, is the tooth count off?

Also, if you're looking to rebuild the original... is the bendix assembly the same on them & is the original gear OK? if so, just swap parts around until you get what you need.

#18 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yes the tooth count is off. The original has 10 teeth while the replacement has 11. I've been emailing a local guy this evening. I'm going to see him tomorrow afternoon and see if he has something that will work or if he can rebuilt the original. The starters I have do not have interchangable parts....at least not the ones that need changing! LOL