• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 02:33 PM

OK guys been messing around with the ST16 trying to get it to turn over. First of all the engine is free. There is what looks like a brand new starter on the engine and I have the original starter on the shelf.

The young man I bought it from claimed that the original starter went bad so he put a new one on. Then after using it just a day the new starter wouldn't work either. That's when he listed it for sale. I put the battery on my trickle charger over night and tried that. All I could hear was the solonoid clicking. So I tried to jump it with the truck. After several minutes hooked to the cables it actually rolled over but very, very weakly. So at this point I'm assuming battery is toast.

Put in a brand new battery and the same problem!?! Pulled the starter/flywheel cover off to observe. The gear is spinning and only sometimes kicking out to engage. Seems to be spinning weakly. When it does engage it can barely turn the engine maybe half a revolution and then it stops.

It honestly acts like the starter may not be getting full voltage/amperage? I checked the ground and positive connections and both seem solid and clean. Could the solonoid be engaging but not allowing full amperage through it? It's kind of a bear to get to the solonoid so I'm checking here before I start tearing more things off to get too it.

Also an intersting side note. I pulled the two remaining bolts out of the "frame" that holds the battery and gast tank above all the linkages trying to access the solonoid. I'm guessing these were not factory original as I had to get my 14mm box end to remove them? I hope they weren't as I've already switched them out with SAE and added the missing ones as well!

Thanks!

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:18 PM

Check the PTO cover as I got mine on backwards onece ane after having my starter rebuild we figured out that was causing the problem,it binds up on the pulleys.
  • English said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Not only check the terminals on the battery but also check the ground to the frame and engine. Make sure they are tight and there is not corrosion or dirt. Also check the power cables from the battery and also from the solenoid to the starter, make sure there is no corrosion under the cable cover. I found the corrosion under the cable cover several times which pulled power.
  • English said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:31 PM

What Bill said. The chassis connection needs to be really clean and have lots of surface area to carry all that current without having a significant voltage drop. You should be able to measure the voltage from the terminal on the starter to the chassis of the starter while cranking. This will let you know if you are getting good voltage to the starter.
  • English said thank you

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Do what tinbender7 and HDWildBill and JDBrian posted first.

If that does not fix it, then it might be that maybe the brushes might not be making good contact in the starter, or the starter is not lined up with the flywheel correctly, or both. check by hand by physically pulling out/spinning the starter gear to see how it is lining up with the flywheel. correct by loosenng the mounting bolts on the starter and moving it if needed then tighten them back up. . then try starting the motor again and if it works fine the you are good to go. If not try starting it again and tap on the starter with the butt end of a screwdriver or something at the same time. if this makes the starter work right, I would look into cleaning the starter. If you have never taken one apart before you might want to let somebody professional do it. Those brushes have springs behind them to hold contact to the communtater in the starter and can be a pain to deal with. good luck, hope this helps

****It is very important that you not excessively try to make the starter continously turn over for long periods of time. They can burn up prematurely if over abused.******

Edited by JBBR, April 03, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

• English said thank you

#6 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. My brother stopped by and after fiddling around with most of the above suggestions we decided that the starter must indeed be bad. Took one off my bolens H-16 and couldn't believe it. The paint on it indicates to me that the starter was originally on a Sears! LOL

Anyway it turned right over. After maybe 20-30 seconds of cranking she fired up. I'm waiting for the video to upload to U-tube now. Soon as it's there I'll post it here.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:36 PM

You will want to verify the bendix is releasing on the starter (should kick out as soon as the engine turns faster than the starter), now that you have one working. Bendix that hang up can cause the starter, starter gear, ring gear, etc to wear out faster. I wonder if that's what happened to the last one?
  • English said thank you

#8 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:43 PM

MH81, thanks for the heads up. I'll check on that when I have a chance to play...er I mean work on her again!

If I can figure it out I'm going to post a video here. Ignore the fat guy driving!

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Wow, that engine sounds strong. Thanks for the ride-around.

#10 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I was very pleased with how strong the motor seems. I had to play with the clutch/brake pedal as you can see it is way out of adjustment. Got that figured out and popped it out a bit too fast the first try. Did a pretty nice wheelie if I do say so myself! She'll set you right back in 3-High! LOL

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Glad you got her going.

#12 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:19 PM

OK the Bendix is hanging up on the fly wheel. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:30 AM

English,thanks for the video. :thumbs:

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nice looking tractor. The engine sounds good and no smoke. A 3pt hitch as well. Very nice. Thanks for posting!

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 06:09 PM

OK the Bendix is hanging up on the fly wheel. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I am not familiar with how the Sears are setup with the flywheel. Hopefully one of the guys can help ya out.

The motor does sound great. I thought it was funny too when you went out and around the cow went to follow you like it wanted to play also.