• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:08 AM

The trans filter on my hydrostatic LGT 145 blew apart when I started the tractor. Oil everywhere!!
I was using New Holland hydro oil and filter, but this is the second New Holland filter that did this to me. While researching other filter I can use, I came across people using Dexron III instead of the Multi G 134.

Is anyone actually using the Dexron III, or Dexron VI? If so, what's you experiences been, pros & cons?

Thanks in advance

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:01 PM

It seems to me there should never be that much pressure in the fluid return side to blow up a filter. I wonder if you have a blockage and somehow pressure from the output side of the pump is getting back to the filter.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Dexron III will work fine in your hydro, but as Bryan said, there must be something else blocking the return to cause the blowing of the filter.
As to the oil, Dexron is better if you use in cooler climates, while areas warm year round would be better suited to the heavier oils. You can also use 30wt motor oil in extreme hot weather & under very heavy duty use.

#4 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Straight 30 weight, same as the engine? That sounds perfect; I have a lot of it for the 2 LGT's I run and in the spring/summer my hydro gets the "tuff stuff" jobs, so it does get used hard.

As for the blockage....I sure hope that's not the case. I'll check for blockage. I had kerosene in it for about a week to clean it out before I swapped filters and fluid. Before that, I used it for snow blowing and it ran fine.

#5 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Never seen a Filter blow,,, Wonder if you mite be picking up to much weight with it,, But a blockage will sure make to much presure but seems like a line would blow before a filter would,,