• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimrod7 OFFLINE  

nimrod7
  • Member No: 9063
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have been using this garden tractor for the last 3 years for mowing grass. It has started leaking tranny fluid and has low power so I figured I would change the tranny filter. The leak seems to be at the plate on the bottom of the tranny so I will hopefully seal it when I put in the new filter. This is why the sheet metal has been removed.
100_0423.JPG

100_0422.JPG

100_0421.JPG

It seems to be an early MF 12. There is no number on the hood and no serial number plate on the side. A clue from the paint forum says that the red wheels with the silver rims are a pre '69. It has a hydrostatic tranny and the MF10 didn't but the 12 did. This is what I have been able to figure out. If anyone wants to chime in with any ideas on what it is I would appreciate the input.

Thanks for the info on the forums and the manuals on line. I now have some help with keeping it running.

It came with the mower deck and the snowblower attachment. A previous owner replaced the engine with a horizontaly opposed, twin cylinder, 18 horse, Briggs. It goes like a r***d ape. Did Tim the Tool Man once own it?

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:13 AM

I think you are right about it being a 12 Hydro. The wheels look quite good, paint wise, so they might have been painted and thus aren't conclusive. Another clue is the presence or absence of an extra resevoir for the hydro under the seat. I suspect, but don't know, that the resevior is from later production, possibly after the wheels changed color. Were you able to get a filter by using the information in the "hydro filter" thread pinned at the top of the forum?

#3 nimrod7 OFFLINE  

nimrod7
  • Member No: 9063
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Howards,

The paint on the whole thing is in good shape. I don't think anyone has done any restoration work on it. There is no reservior under the seat that I can see. I did find a filter from New Holland as/per the post in the filters section. The New Holland dealer said it cross referenced to a Sundstrand T9700111 which happened to be the number on the filter I took out. The filter is held in place by a spring. Another clue to what it is since the later models had a screw in filter.

I am concerneed that the filter won't be available too much longer since the New Holland seems to be the only source. How long do dthe last? Should I stock up? They are pricey at $28 each.

Edited by nimrod7, April 03, 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:30 AM

The resevoir is hard to miss, I've seen both with and without. The resevoir is about the size of a 20oz soda, so if it didn't jump out at you, yours didn't have it. I really don't know what to tell you about the filters. I've only had my 12H for about 9 months, and it came from a scrap yard. I've been slowly returning it to operable condition, but it's been more of a "Ok, now THAT is working, let me use it some more and see if anything breaks now" kind of deal. Hopefully someone else can chime in on frequency of filter replacement.