• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• Member No: 6870
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 06:28 PM

does any one have a rough idea of what this briggs is? i picked it up with another engine for sears suburban both were on lawn vacuums. i have looked all over it for a # but nothing. this was always a one pull engine now it has no spark and i cant get the fly wheel off. it has a weird aluminum molded piece for the pull start and over the fly wheel shaft. i just dont want to break it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 006.jpg
  • Picture 007.jpg
  • Picture.jpg

Edited by fitzsfixit, April 02, 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 07:43 PM

The pull start clutch is threaded onto the shaft. I use a brass punch and hammer. Tap easy as not to brake the aluminum starter clutch. use the lefty loosey righty tighty rule. The clutch has a cover on to keep the ball bearings inside do not remove cover or hit cover the bearings will fall out also do not get any oil or grease on bearings. good luck Also the model number should be stamped into the pull rope housing.

Edited by jms180, April 02, 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:31 AM

The metal gas line indicates this is probably an older engine from the 1960's.

On that engine (if it was not on Sears equipment) it would have had the model, type, & code #'s stamped into an aluminum plate (approx 3" x 3") which was fastened (one screw) to the cooling fins on the back side of the engine.

If a 6hp, it would probably be in the 143300 model family.

However, it may be a different model, and would need more info to identify.

Sears equipment usually did not carry B&S model numbers, but would have a tag of some sort with a Sers number on it.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, April 03, 2012 - 12:31 AM.

• fitzsfixit said thank you

#4 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:21 AM

All my Sears/DB Suburbans have a metal plate on them with a Briggs model #. This engine looks a lot like a 143302, which would be the correct one for a 59(601 only) suburban tractor. The aircleaner is incorrect, but the rest of the unit looks pretty close with out me being there.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:56 AM

It is identical to the Briggs on on of my generators,which is a mid '60s.Actually ,I believe it's a '63.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:21 PM

is right about the recoil clutch housing that's on the crank. It should come of fairly easily.

...both were on lawn vacuums...this was always a one pull engine...

The one thing that I've noticed is that any engine that was used on a vac or blower with a heavy fan to spin is a hard starting beast without the flywheel action that the fan provides! I have 2 of those vacs, one with a Techy and one with a Briggs. I haven't got the Briggs off of it's unit yet, but the Techy is HARD to start until you hook it back up to the blower fan.
Just wanted you to be aware that even after you get the spark figured out, it may still be difficult to start.

#7 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:07 AM

i took the blower off this on day one becuase the fan was all bent, i lent it to a buddy for his little asphalt roller he never use it and left it out side in the weather so im thinking the points are dirty or rusty contacts.

#8 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:42 AM

All my Sears/DB Suburbans have a metal plate on them with a Briggs model #. This engine looks a lot like a 143302, which would be the correct one for a 59(601 only) suburban tractor. The aircleaner is incorrect, but the rest of the unit looks pretty close with out me being there.

thanx you are rite on the money with that #. it was bolted on a plate angled off the corner at the bottom of rear mount collector box. about 4' high 16"x16" or so, it had two pivit bolts at the bottom to dump the bin.