11 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Well I got the 900 and tiller out today. I have been wanting to till something all week. I was on vacation. My wife wanted the garden tilled but after the round-up kills everything. So being impatient as I am I went to the field. The kids have a hard time dumpping the cat litter way out in the field so it gets piled up along the edge. Anyways I started tilling the piles. I have never operated a rear tiller. Any one have any good tips? In the slowest speed the tiller was pushing me along. I was riding the clutch to slow the process down. Is this normal? Also the ground was hard as rocks. Do I make multiple passes or try to till it all at once? Any helpful hints appreciated.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Something definitely is not right if the tractor is being pushed along by the tiller.

With the older style tillers it was recommended that the soil be plowed first prior to tilling as it is easier on the tractor and tiller.
When tilling virgin soil or ground that hasn't been tilled in years it is best to make multiple passes over the ground.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Kurtee ONLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:15 PM

In not being totally familiar with your machine I can only relate what I think might work. I till in 1st or 2nd with the Honda 5518 and till to full depth first pass. The Honda weighs about 1000 lbs without the tiller and is 4 wheel drive so that holds her down. I am thinking that to improve your machine you may need to add some weight so that the tractor can hold the force of the tiller. The reason I say to add weight is that in the 2 Ariens rear tine tillers I have is that the one is heavier and is easier to use in breaking sod and such. I watched someones Bolens tilling video on here and could see that the tiller was running away with the tractor in sod. (Sorry, I don't remember whose vid it was) I would weight it down and start by lowering the tiller to full depth and run it slow forward. The slow method worked with the Allis tiller my mother has. Good Luck: KURTEE
  • redcarkids said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Brian is correct, if the ground is virgin garden ground. It is always recommended to plow first, with any brand of GT, not just Bolens. If you don't have a plow, make multiple passes going deeper each pass.

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Plow first, then till....of course, you will need 2 tractors....saves time changing impliments....and more fun.....lol

Posted Image
  • redcarkids said thank you

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Brian is correct, if the ground is virgin garden ground. It is always recommended to plow first, with any brand of GT, not just Bolens. If you don't have a plow, make multiple passes going deeper each pass.

Well i would not call it virgin ground but the farmer did not plant last year due to a rainy season. So the ground was not worked for almost 2 years. The tiller did cut through it if i held on to the brake/clutch to keep it in one spot. The garden area I tried seemed easier but I stopped as to not to make the wife mad :mad2: . After I came in she said go ahead. :thumbs: I will try again later. I like the idea of 2 tractors, one with a plow and this one. I will go talk to her now about getting another one. :dancingbanana: :laughingteeth: :dancingbanana:

#7 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Something definitely is not right if the tractor is being pushed along by the tiller. ...

Well now, I'd have to take issue with that. Remember this post?
http://gardentractor...rks/#entry66890

redcar, I had the same problem the first time I tried using a tiller with my G10. Read the post and you can see what happened :laughingteeth:

Somewhere later in the thread, someone suggested leaving the tractor in neutral and letting the tiller push it as it was tilling. Given my experience, I'm sure that it would do just that.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well now, I'd have to take issue with that. Remember this post?
http://gardentractor...rks/#entry66890

redcar, I had the same problem the first time I tried using a tiller with my G10. Read the post and you can see what happened :laughingteeth:

Somewhere later in the thread, someone suggested leaving the tractor in neutral and letting the tiller push it as it was tilling. Given my experience, I'm sure that it would do just that.

Thanks never thought of that. So you would just ride the brake to slow it down as needed?

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 06:16 AM

hmm... Maybe I just have "special" tractors as none of my tractors have ever been pushed by the tiller before :D
I have used my 1050,850,900 and 800 and neither has been pushed when I was tilling

#10 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Not necessarily "special"...probably setup properly.

I'm sure that if I would have filled tires and/or weights and chains the outcome would have been a bit different.

However, with just my scrawny butt in the seat, and straight turf tires, there just wasn't enough weight to keep the tiller in the ground.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not necessarily "special"...probably setup properly.

I'm sure that if I would have filled tires and/or weights and chains the outcome would have been a bit different.

However, with just my scrawny butt in the seat, and straight turf tires, there just wasn't enough weight to keep the tiller in the ground.

I usually till with no weights and the original Goodyear turf tires, And I dont really weigh that much more than you to make a difference in traction.

#12 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ok I weight more then both of you put together. Went out today and started just at the surface breaking the crust on the first round. Went over it the second time a little lower. All the time I was in low 1 gear. After about 3 passes I was able to till like i thought it should. Ground was wetter then I thought it would be, mostly under the leaves from the fall that we put on the garden. Either way I had fun, :dancingbanana: so much that I went down to the neighbors and tilled his garden for him. They had leaves all over thiers and it was wet but still tilled up nicely. They neighbor wanted me to expand his garden a little. I did have trouble cutting into new sod as you guys said i would without plowing. After about 4 passes though it worked up the sod fine. Thanks to all the tips :thumbs: and yes i forgot to take photos of the action. :mad2:
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you