Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Atv Disc. No Wonder Cat 0 Stuff Is Rare.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 09:30 AM

I was at Princess Auto yesterday during my search for bolts and they have an "ATV Disc" for $400. Pretty nice unit...two gangs, built out of 3" square tubing. Serrated cutting discs. Small implement jack to make the wheels go up and down. It needs a place to add more weight, but that can be arranged.

So when I really looked at it I realized that it was a cat 0 3 pt machine that had been converted. Even the top-link is there as a kind of support for the ATV hitch, and Princess Auto doesn't carry cat 0 top links. The add-ons to make it an ATV implement are bolted on, not welded, and the hitch is held on with the 3 pt. pins.

It would take about 20 minutes to convert it back to a 3 pt., and you'd come out of it with an axle, tires, hitch, and an implement jack.

So I was standing there wondering how bad Mrs. Rev would kick my butt if I spent $400 on something I likely don't need, and one of the Princess Auto kids comes up to talk to me. This happens a lot...when you look like a greasy old hippie, you get customer service just because they are afraid you'll steal something. Once he got a look at me he realized who I was though (I pick up a lot of stuff there for work, but I generally look a lot cleaner cut when I'm working). He got a lot friendlier after that.

I talked to the kid for a bit and asked if anybody could move on the price a bit. I was thinking if I could tell Mrs. Rev that I talked him down by 50 bucks, I might just get away with this purchase.

"We've got, like, 100 of them in the back," the kid said, "Last year they did the same thing with that rake thing and ended up selling them at half-price in the fall."

I thought about that. I remembered the "rake thing." It was a really cheap drag harrow that I wouldn't have taken for free. This disc actually looks decent though. The thing is that I already have a wing disc, and while this one is a gang disc, I don't need it. If it was used and cheap, I'd buy it, of course. 100 isn't really that many though, since this is their main store and they supply all the others out of here.

So I've decided to wait until fall and see if the half-price thing happens. If not, I can always keep an eye out for a used one. It's not like a lot of ATV owners know what a disc is for, after all.

Here's a link to it. http://www.princessa...act-Disc-Harrow
  • tinner and JDBrian have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yes Rev, I'd get that in the Fall when it's half priced. Pretty neat how it is converted to ATV use. Good luck in the Fall.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yes,waiting till Fall may be a good idea.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 12:10 PM

Definitely looks like it would be worth the full price even. But 1/2 price would be much better.

Bill

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Funny thing I that I have been looking at the same basic thing on ebay and never noticed it to be three point until now. Of course I don't have a 3 point on anything, just wanted it for drawbar use, but again, that $400 isn't cheap.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, not cheap, but it would be usable for any GT. Either add a ball to your hitch, or change the hitch on the disk.

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I've actually sold three disks to deer hunters to pull with atvs to put in food plots.
They know what they're for.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the disk. I've seen that at the Dartmouth store as well. I never noticed about the 3pt. but I'm used to looking at a cat1 which is much larger. The only problem I see is that the top link mount is behind the lift pins by a few inches. That may not be a bad thing though. You may be able to use the more common cat1 top link with some bushings to connect to a cat 1 hitch. I don't have an application for one of those but I keep my eye on what they offer for implements. They have been bringing in more implements in the last few years but mostly as specials rather than catalog items.

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the disk. I've seen that at the Dartmouth store as well. I never noticed about the 3pt. but I'm used to looking at a cat1 which is much larger. The only problem I see is that the top link mount is behind the lift pins by a few inches. That may not be a bad thing though. You may be able to use the more common cat1 top link with some bushings to connect to a cat 1 hitch. I don't have an application for one of those but I keep my eye on what they offer for implements. They have been bringing in more implements in the last few years but mostly as specials rather than catalog items.

Yeah, just get some longer pins and you can use cat 0 stuff with a cat 1 and vice-versa. It doesn't make a difference with a disc, but with implements that dig deeper, you want to be careful not to break cat 0 stuff with a bigger tractor though.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:45 AM

You are right about using cat 0 on a bigger tractor. There is also a huge difference in quality with implements of the same size and category. I was at the JD dealer recently and they had a Frontier 48" box blade hooked to a tractor like mine (2320). The build quality was incredible on this thing. It is much larger( deeper and taller) and built with much thicker steel than the cheaper box blades you see out there. I wanted it bad, but it's over 800$ + tax. When I bought the tractor I bought a frontier 5' rear blade with it. I should have got the box blade at that time but didn't. The box blade is a much better choice for my uses. Live and learn.