coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:27 PM

COST. Yep Thats it, cost. My MF 50 needs work, its had a rough life before i got it. The FEL Buckets bottom is rusted completely away. $180 just for a sheet of steel. I have to change out the Hydraulic fluid again (universal Hyd fluid aint universal) 8 gallons=$100. Carb kit $70. The back tires cost more than I paid to get all of my GTs. If I wouldnt have gotten such a great deal on it I would be kicking myself for buying one that needed fixing up. They just cost too much to fix up. I think thats one of the reasons that we have seen GT prices go up, people want to fix up a tractor but the big ones cost so much to repair and keep up. If you dont have a real use for it It is a money pit. With GTs, you can get an old "cadillac" that needs some repairs and still have less than $1000 in it. Granted I cant pull a double 16 plow with a GT but I aint farming, I am gardening. I seem to be able to do everything i need to with GTs, I just have to take smaller bites.

So my advice to anyone looking to get an old fixer upper tractor is, you better have deep pockets. Unless you get an amazing deal on the tractor, you can probably get an older top of the line GT and all the goodies for what it would cost you to just buy the big tractor.

I :love: GTs.

#2 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:37 PM

That is for sure but it just depends on the tractor. My 1936 Cade RC cost us less than 1500 to buy and restore. On the other hand our 1926 McCormick Deering 15-30 has almost double that in the engine alone with the total restoration around 6-7K.

I've seen rare model tractors bring even bigger money. Some of them over $150,000.

Edited by IHCubGuy, March 31, 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:55 AM

That's one reason I got into GT's as well. I like the big boys too,but the cost to restore is really high.Also,it is a lot easier to store GT's ,because they take up less space.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:03 AM

That's one reason I got into GT's as well. I like the big boys too,but the cost to restore is really high.Also,it is a lot easier to store GT's ,because they take up less space.

Same reasons as Maynard here. I have 7 GTs in a 24 X 32 garage plus the wife's riding lawnmower setting outside. No way I could do that with a farm tractor. If I wasn't so lazy I could have put the wife's mower on the table.

The youngin' in the photo is my 6 year old tractor mover/helper. Note: No state or federal wage laws were violated because I don't pay him.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-31 loaded garage.JPG

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:07 AM

To me, it's the challenge to get one working again. Don't have room for something bigger.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:46 AM

I like these they are a lot cheaper to fix. Those DB's I have are really easy to fix, and they are somewhat unusual. I can knock one out in just a few weeks.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:13 AM

We've got 3 restored and a few refurbished. They are much more of an investment and a a lot harder to get to the shows. Of course, they do often get more foot traffic around them, but I think that's changing too. The GTs are becoming more of a common sight at the shows.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Good points guys! I would love to have a 1971 Chevelle SS, or a blah, or a blah blah. Lacking the room and place to store one I dont see that happening. The GT's let me exercise my mechanical genes cheaply, giving me that satisfaction we all get from taking something old and often not working, and getting it up and functional. Plus the fact that they are usable tools that I would need anyway makes it more practical to spend my limited fun money income on this hobby.

Plus look at this great site we all get to share :thumbs: :thumbs: IF it weren't for the darn flies around here.....................Hey wait a minute I think the bug spray finally got him :smilewink:

edit
bugs

Edited by Michiganmobileman, April 01, 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have four farm tractors. One of them in a thousand pieces in my garage. I could fit probably 6 GT's in the space that it alone occupies! One of these days I'll finish putting it back together, but with something as vital as a simple set of rings coming in at $400, it could be a while.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:14 PM

That's exactly why I restore/collect GT's....cost! I can't afford fixing a large tractor or an old custom car/truck. Besides, I find all kinds of work here on the farm where only a smaller GT will even fit into the job. Expensive enough keeping our farm tractors going to make a living, much less as a hobby.

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Same here Cost, it doesn't take near as much $$$ to fix up a garden tractor vs a full size tractor, car or pick up truck.

#12 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Ditto on the size and cost. I used to look at the full size MF tractors, but I couldn't justify buying them because I had no use for them. MF lawn tractors let me relive a little of my youth and they can actually be used. Now, my wife was just asking why I needed a MF8G, a 12G and a 12H.........
Gotta find a way to camoflage them better.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Found another reason GTs are better. They are easier to get unstuck. My FIL found me a 14 inch 2 bottom plow for the MF 50. Well I change my hydraulic oil ($100) and hooked up the plow today. First pass was great. second pass I made it about 15 feet before I sunk the tractor. 2 chains, a come along, and about 1.5 hours I had it out.

Then mowing the "back 40" with the D160, I hit a mud hole. The top looked solid but the front tires went out of site. 1 chain, come along, and 15 minutes i was back in business.

Did I mention I am farming mud.

#14 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'm in the same boat, more toys for less money!! Being able to say I haven't even seen my 3/4" drive socket set in over a year let alone used it is a huge bonus. And I convinced the girl friend that the tractors are vital to teaching both of our kids real world skills, from the fixing, maintaining, operating, to respect and responsiblity.... Its pretty neat to stand in the shop with a cup of coffee and watch the boys with their own little tool boxes working away and I just bounce from tractor to tractor helping each one...

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Well, normally I can spend between $800-$1,200 restoring a garden tractor, and that's not including tires. I'm hoping this fall, I'll be able to start restoring my first Farm Tractor, and I know for a fact, that it will cost at least this same amount just for the tires. Fortunately, the tractor is complete, and I won't have to buy a lot of parts for it. The only things I'm looking to replace on the tractor, is new tires of course, new seat cushions, and new gauges. I already replaced the 6 volt batteries, bought a new chrome stack, and found NOS decal set for it on ebay. Oh, and the water pump just went bad, so I need to replace that as well. I'm hoping to bring the complete restoration in under $4,000.00. I guess time will tell. Even so though, I could have bought another dozen garden tractors for the same amount of just this one restore.