#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Potatoes, onions & peas can be planted before last frost date. I planted mine last week, frost date here is April 20th. I mulch my garden with aged, coarse sawdust, so if the tators are up & a frost predicted, I just cover them with more sawdust, usually 2-3 times each Spring! ~~ Lowell
  • speedyg said thank you

#17 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 12:04 PM

speedyg do you have good sun at your garden site ? Also wondering what your last and first frost dates are in your area. The last few years I've been trying different things and plants to get somthing out of the garden all year . Last year in Sept -Oct planted lettuce and spinich in a cold frame , some lettuce didn't make it and the spinich not so hot either but I've been picking a little lettuce from it and the raised bed under the hoops has some to pick there too.

Alc, I do have good sun at my garden site, and I cant find any specific frost dates for my area. I am located in zone 4 and that info says may 1-30 and sep 1-31.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Well got the garden started Friday. Two 50 ft rows of potatoes & two 50ft rows of onions( These are in raised beds and wide rowed 3 set across). My eows were 40 ft last year so the garden is expanding.
The wife is off today and plans to plant the spring planting of Garlic & Shallots today( also wide rowed in raised beds).
We also did a fall planting of the garlic & shallots and they have popped through the Mulch I put over them in the fall.
They are predicting a Frost Warning this week for our area. I'm hoping since the garden is on top of the hill, it won't get hit.
Jo bought 2 more Blueberries, 2 Red Rasberries and 2 Blackberries Saturday and I won't plant them untill late this week so they don't get frostbite before I plant them. She decided the red's she planted last year are too close to the Black rasberries and Blackberries so I'll be moving them late this week or early next week.
Still no intention of setting out plants for 2-3 weeks.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 09, 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#19 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Wow JD, you have quite the garden started this year. Can your family eat all of that or do you sell and or share with others. We are forcasted to get snow this weekend so I am going to cover my onion and potatoes with straw. They are not up yet so I think that they will be fine.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yes,no sorta: The Potaoes ran out about November, Onions went into December. I have 5 brothers(1 brother in Colorado, Cedar Edge and 1 brother in Las Vegas) and a sister and my parents in the area. The Wifes Sister is in Des Moines and has 8 children.
So We do share. I planted a lot more Yukon Gold this year because my parents really liked them. Jo likes to can lots of stuff to take pressure off the grocery bill. With the fuel prices they are predicting, I'm expecting everything transported by truck to go out of site in price. And don't see my salary going up in proportion. So anything I can produce is going to help and I know what went into it.
I don't sell anything at this point. I'm just trying things now to see what does well, so when I retire I can do a little Market Gardening to defray expenses.

#21 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 12:05 AM

Good luck with that JD, you seem to be doing a great job! and I am sure your family appretiates the fresh vegies. :)

#22 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Well I thought I would give you all an update on my garden. I did plant about one third of my taters and onions three weeks ago. despite a few snow storms and temps dropping below freezing they are doing well. Onions are about one to four inches high and the taters are just breaking ground. Moved the peppers that I started out side yesterday and the deer got every last one of them!! :( I just planted lettuce and carrots a few days ago in the garden. I still have most of the garden covered in straw due to the cold nights still, but all seems to be going well with the early start!! :)

#23 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Sorry to hear the deer got to the peppers , Might be worth looking into some kind of fence maybe electric , or at least something to go around the plants to protect them , how about some pictures ? Al

#24 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Sorry to hear the deer got to the peppers , Might be worth looking into some kind of fence maybe electric , or at least something to go around the plants to protect them , how about some pictures ? Al I had them in the front and yes they are in the open. I kneww they were in the area and should have put them in the back. I will get a photo in the next day or two Al. Not much to see yet but real good for me and the time of year around here. :)

#25 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Well I guess I forgot to say somthing about the last quote!!! sorry :) I do need to do somthing aboyt protecting the plants though. I said that I would share some photos of the onions and poatoes coming up so here are a few pics. Not much to look at, but for this time of year it is the best I have been able to do so far.DSC_1211.JPG DSC_1212.JPG DSC_1213.JPG In this last photo I have some seeds in my hand do you all know what they are?DSC_1210.JPG Theyare taking over my garden.

#26 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 01:08 AM

Any thoughts on what the seeds are in my last post guys? I think that they came from the hay,or straw that I am using to cover the garden.

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:45 AM

Looks like wheat to me.
  • speedyg said thank you

#28 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Looks like wheat to me too. I'd guess that some of the straw you used had a little bit of crop still in it. If the seeds germinate, it'll look like grass when it first comes up. Easy enough to pull out.
  • speedyg said thank you

#29 Endo OFFLINE  

Endo

• Member No: 8340
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yep, wheat.
  • speedyg said thank you