11 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Last year I bought my 316 with 46" deck. It came with a new set of standard blades. I thought, what a deal! Well, I finished the year with it and now that spring is here I'm having the same issue as last year. I've found the standard blades just don't throw the grass very far - maybe 18" out from the deck at best. I feel like I have winrows.

I want to invest in a new set of blades but can't decide between the Gator blade and JD's high lift blade. I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but what works best with tall fescue cut about 4" long. Looking to chop the grass as much as possible, so will probably go with the Gator's unless the don't work well with an open discharge chute. Maybe block it off and then go with Gator's?

Thanks in advance.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:14 AM

Have not used them myself,but have heard nothing but good things about Gator Blades.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have to say the same thing about the gator blades. I have never used them, but everyone I know that has used them loves them. I'll probably get some when I need to replace blades.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:01 AM

i have a set of Gator blades on my 3 wheeler, when I first put them on I noticed that the clippings were smaller than with the high lift blades that were on it before.
028.jpg

However one day 1 blade broke, to this day I don't know why, everybody says I must of hit something. There is nothing to hit where I cut no steel survey stakes, water main shutoffs, rocks, bricks, nothing other than grass and twigs. I still have not found the missing piece.
001.jpg

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:11 AM

It might just have been a defective blade, Doug. It happens. I've never heard anything but good things about the gator blades though, and even cheap blades tend to bend instead of breaking, so I'd guess it's not a common thing.

#6 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Do you think it would be worth the time to build a block off plate for the deck if I use the Gator blades?

Edited by TerryD, April 01, 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#7 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 01:06 AM

Just wanted to circle back around and report what I found. I spoke with 2 Oregon reps and they both said that the Gator G6 would do the job well for me. They absolutely do not recommend a block off plate as they want the air to circulate under the deck and eventually sling the grass out. The G6 blades are 1/4" thick and are either 2 or 2 1/2" wide. They chop and throw the grass about 2 feet farther than before and throw it up as well which helps broadcast it. Well worth the $81 + tax. But I found them cheaper after placing my order, around $55 on EB.

#8 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I ordered Gator bladed locally for $25/spindle. I know I could have saved some bucks online but trying to think locally in these small towns in the middle of Nowhere, NE.

#9 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I like my gator blades, they work better than the standard blades with my power flow
been using them for about 4 years on my 2 acres lot

#10 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Gator blades all the way for me. Bought a set of three for my Cub when they first came out and love them. They really keep their edge well too. :thumbs:

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:14 AM

I have used the Gator or Gator style blades on golf course mower for about eight years but not all year. In the spring I used the regular OEM high lift blades since the grass was not as thick or growing as fast. When the sunlight and fall fertilizer application kicked in (about three of four weeks after first mow) we switched to the Toro Gator style blades. Then when the grass was in full growth mode we switched to a blade made by a company out of Alabama which was a 1/8" thick lower lift blade instead of the 1/4" thick OEM and Gators which helped with excessive clumping of the cut grass. The in the fall the Gators went back on to help with the mulching of leaves.

We pulled, sharpened and balanced blades once a week which was about every 30 hours of use so swapping blades was done then. I had two sets of each style blade so change over went quickly. I only got to see these mower every Wednesday morning for 2 to 4 hours since the rest of the time they were busy mowing the 27 to 35 acres of rough twice a week.

#12 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Has anybody tried the http://www.meg-mo.co...-mo-system.html blades?