daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:45 PM

I recently repaired my new Craftsman rear tine tiller. I posted the reason and the process on Outdoor Power Talk, so I won't repeat it here.

I repaired it and tested it, tilling up the one of the small areas. I plan to make a larger garden this year. I tore out my three raised bed and plan to triple the area of the garden. Also, electric fencing too, as I found the woodchuck can climb rabbit fencing.

Here are a few tilling pics.

IMG_2830.JPG IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2832.JPG

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Enough with the tilling threads !!! no more !, it snowed this morning and it depresses me to see you guys happly tilling in a garden while mines just sits there :angry:

Looks good Dave, i did not know Woodchucks could climb a fence, i wonder if the ones around here know how to climb too :confuse:
  • daytime dave said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Dave, That's great looking soil, and that tiller is doing you a great job!! :thumbs:

#4 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Looks good Dave, i did not know Woodchucks could climb a fence, i wonder if the ones around here know how to climb too :confuse:

I didn't think they could, but I came home from camp last year and my thriving garden was in ruins. The next week I stood there with my jaw on the floor as I watched this chuck climb over the rabbit fence and into one of the raised beds. As he sat there gorging himself on what was left of the lettuce, he heard me as I opened the window to shoot ( I mean shower him with love ) and he climbed back over and ran off. I was very surprised they climbed. I never got him the rest of the summer.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:19 PM

I didn't think they could, but I came home from camp last year and my thriving garden was in ruins. The next week I stood there with my jaw on the floor as I watched this chuck climb over the rabbit fence and into one of the raised beds. As he sat there gorging himself on what was left of the lettuce, he heard me as I opened the window to shoot ( I mean shower him with love ) and he climbed back over and ran off. I was very surprised they climbed. I never got him the rest of the summer.

That leaves me feeling very disconcerted, for the love of god keep them over there, Heck ! smother the ''things'' with lots of love, bury it under 6 feet of love then shout loving words at it.
My god, my jaw would be on the floor too.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 02:26 AM

Enough with the tilling threads !!! no more !, it snowed this morning and it depresses me to see you guys happly tilling in a garden while mines just sits there :angry:

No Jesse, MA Woodchucks don't climb fences. MA Woodchucks come form wealthy familys. I think they just pay a Rabbit to go get the food for them. :laughingteeth:
  • daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:11 AM

No Jesse, MA Woodchucks don't climb fences. MA Woodchucks come form wealthy familys. I think they just pay a Rabbit to go get the food for them. :laughingteeth:

That's great :bigrofl: i love it :bigrofl: Thanks Chris :thumbs:

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:51 AM

Nice job,Dave.Looking good.

#9 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 01:15 PM

If what you're calling a woodchuck is what we call a groundhog, I walked up on one in a tree in a fence row when I was a teenager. He wasn't very high off the ground but he was high enough that I watched him for a bit while getting closer before I figured out what he was. Never would have imagined they could do that.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:43 AM

Yes Wood chuck and Groundhog are interchangeable. Remember the commercial where the guy came home and the chucks were chucking his firewood into the pond? Or The Rhyme"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" And yes I have seen them climb a small tree. I live in an area where they are very rare.
The farmers farm from fencerow to fencerow and the habitat is scarce. Another odd thing is they are classified as a fur bearer in Iowa. And a Specific season is set from June to September, you are required to have either a hunting license or fur harvester license to take them.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 09, 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:12 PM

RAOFL!!!!

We dont' have woodchucks here in Utah, but we do have deer--right in the middle of town. There's a creek and gully that comes through my area, and the deer use that as a point of insertion and extraction when they do their nightly patrols... My neighbor had all the flowers on his tomato plants eaten by deer. Another put up 5 foot chain link--total waste of time... the deer got in and ruined his garden anyway.

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources has really restricted hunting due to concerns about the deer population--I just figured their census missed those living in town because they're all over the place. I wish we could do a bow hunt within the city limits--greatly reduced risk of injury from an errant bullet, and we could control the population... but then, it would traumatize someone and they'd sue to pay for 50 years of counseling.

The other problem we have is raccoons... they're not native to Utah, but some of them visited here on vacation and decided to stay, and invited the whole fam damily to move here as well!!!!

I've seen 'coons go through a stand of corn--tearing off every ear and only eating one bite of it... <Grrrr>

Then there's the skunks...

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Well , where I am at in Massachusetts, if you don't have whistle pigs (woodchucks) you will have coyotes , never need to worry about the gun barrel getting rusty here......

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0199.jpg

#13 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:50 AM

Ok, I thought for sure (knowing the good humored group here) that someone would have made the comment already but...How do tilling threads get you the past tense of exit? I think Dave means he walks right out the door every time he reads one of these threads...makes sense right?

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Auto correct strikes again!
(I fixed it)
Funny, I never saw it. Read it the other way every time.